1964-1970 Mustang Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

'67 coupe 289 tips on using Seafoam to find an exhaust leak....

Search this Thread

Old 5/19/12, 10:11 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'67 coupe 289 tips on using Seafoam to find an exhaust leak....

I have a ticking noise coming from my engine bay. It keeps time with my rpm's. I took my heater out the other day to rebuild the heater box, and now there's a hole in my fire wall. This is how I noticed how loud the tick was. I can't really tell where it's coming from. Possibly where the manifold joins the exhaust pipe. I wondering if Seafoam is the way to go in finding an exhaust leak..?
Also, I'm going to do a valve adjustment tomorrow, in case it's a ticking valve. I'm having a hard time locating the sound. Any tips would be appreciated.
I promised myself I wouldn't spend the money on a paint job until I got her running smoothly. And I really want a paint job. Haha. So I wanna get these things taken care of asap.
Old 5/19/12, 10:44 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 669 Likes on 542 Posts
No, the exhaust leak is going to be easier found with a tube that you hold up to your ear on one end, and the other 'probing' about. You'll find it really quick that way. The seafoam will not escape the leak of that nature, it will just go through the exhaust, likely.
Old 5/22/12, 10:30 PM
V6 Member

Ok. Adjusted the valves. I will say that it did need to be done, although it didn't fix the tick. I also found that my exhaust manifold bolts toward the back were a bit loose. Tightened them. Still no change.
Old 5/23/12, 06:01 AM
legacy Tms Member

Received 154 Likes on 117 Posts
take about a three foot section of garden hose and put one end against your ear with your hand making a good seal then take the other end and move it closely around your engine exhaust system and the hose will enhance the sound when you get close to it .. sort of like a doctor uses his stethoscope to find your heart beat
Old 5/28/12, 10:38 AM
les
GT Member

I would recommend checking the bolts where the manifold connects to the exhaust pipe since you heard it with the hose out on the passenger side the lower bolt on that connection is a little tougher to tighten down. I had a tick from that side and that is what it turned out to be. Also check your manifold for cracks, start with it cold for obvious reasons. Spray wd 40 on it or even soapy water (water evaporates a little to quick for me) an look for bubbles.

Les
Old 5/28/12, 02:58 PM
V6 Member

Ok, I sprayed it with soapy water. It was warm so it all bubbled. But the connection to the manifold and exhaust was large bubbles
. I've learned my lessons from previous posts. I'll check the obvious things first. I'm going to take it to a muffler shop and have them take a look. I'll post tomorrow and let you all know how it turns out. That joint just looks a little cockeyed, and with the large bubbles. I hope I've found the culprit.
Old 5/28/12, 03:00 PM
V6 Member

Also. Is WD40 a good idea? Seems pretty flammable to be spraying in areas that get so hot...
Old 5/28/12, 05:30 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 669 Likes on 542 Posts
Dont spray it while it's hot.... Also, not a fan of spraying *anything* on an exhaust, because man, it just isn't going to work, and honestly, why make a mess sprayin' WD40, or anything else, plus all that stench?

Use the tube/hose like we told ya. It's a stethoscope for your car. Or take it somewhere honest and reputable and get it over with. That always works. I got a shop down the way where I'd take any of my exhaust, they're really good guys. Bit of a drive for you though.

Edit: Oh, I see you are. Well, good. They'll fix you up.
Old 5/29/12, 08:41 AM
les
GT Member

To each their own the wd evaporates well and I have never had a problem. But try it with the exhaust cold. The hose will work as well. Also start with exhaust cold so you don't accidentally bump it with the hose and get rubber melted on it. Good luck