1964-1970 Mustang Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

66 Mustang axle quirks

Search this Thread

Old 1/16/12, 11:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
66 Mustang axle quirks

I'm a recent Mustang owner. my car is a 66 restore project and when I was starting to disassemble I noticed the rear end axles were 5 lug and the front axles were 4 lug.The car VIN # indicated it was originally a 6 cyl, but is now a 289. Did Ford put a 4 lug frt and 5 lug rear combo together from factory or is this a aftermarket mod ? Will a 5 lug hub and drum brake assembly w/bearings fit on my existing 4 lug spindle ? What I've seen would indicate mine is a 9" frt hub and brakes used on 6 cyl's, whereas the V8's use a 10" hub and brakes. Any comments would be appreciated....
Old 1/16/12, 06:40 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 669 Likes on 542 Posts
No, what you have there is a frankencar.

The reason someone in the past did this is to get the 289 in it. The suspension for a V8 car vs a V6 car is *completely* different except the A-arms. Those are the ONLY swappable parts in the front suspension. The springs, spindle, pitman arm, steering box, idler arm, and tie rods are all beefier for the application of the V8 engine.

The brakes are also V8 only, with either larger drums, or discs. Power brakes are recommended as a retromod, but... I dont' think 66 could get those. I could be mistaken on that.

The transmission, driveshaft, axle, and brakes are ready to go for V8 use, but I'd be suspect that the rear springs are v6, and shackled to produce better height. You might can get them re-arched, or use gas adjustables (that's what I did on my Muskrat) to help the ride height. Or helper springs. But other than that, the rear is set up, so that isn't your issue.

There are *many* websites that talk about v6-v8 upgrades for these cars, but what I've told you is the basics you'll need to cover. It is *highly* recommended that you get disc in the front, not drums, and power. You can use a 78 Granada, Monarch, or Versaille front brake "spindles out" and it will bolt right on. However, FINDING one of these cars might be fun...

Stainless Steel Brakes sell kits for this purpose too, spindles out, lines, proportioning vavles, dual master cylinders, the whole set up.

In either event, all that would be left is springs and steering components. Power brake boosters for these cars are also very easily acquired.

Then your car will be a v8 car.

DO NOT half-(donkey) it. The rewards far outweigh the risks in continuing to have the v6 setup.

Good luck with it, and love your forum name! It's gonna fit nicely.

Last edited by houtex; 1/16/12 at 06:42 PM.
Old 1/17/12, 08:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for response Houtex..Re; reshakled rear springs..looks like about a 6"+ shakle has replaced factory set.
I haven't located any web-sites about the I6 to V8 swapouts so your response is all I've seen todate. You indicated the 78 Granada,Monarch, or Versaille front brake are a spindle-out. Did you mean the spindles can be a direct interchange between the two vehicles with no awh-s#*ts ? Guess either of these vehicles were equipped with the disc brakes..right ? would the springs and steering components also interchange ? Could the spindle swapout be done without changing springs and steering components ? What problems would result ? Have you done this swap-out and seen that it does indeed work ? Guess I'll look in local salvage yard to see if one of these older cars call it home. Thanks Houtex...
Would the brake master cylinder also interchange from these two cars ?
Old 1/17/12, 06:36 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 669 Likes on 542 Posts
http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy-a...w=1920&bih=922

that's the google for just that, plenty of websites there, regarding this swap.

The brakes: http://www.ssbrakes.com/commerce/bra...&model=Mustang

Do not get the V6 ones. They're not as big as the V8 ones. You'll want the four piston ones, specifcally, unless you want the race ones, but they're elsewhere in the site. A complete 4 disc kit is available too, if you want. That's just an example. There are others to deal with, and other ways to get it done.

Here's a list of things from another site. It's really 77-84 Granadas:
http://www.vintage-mustang.com/topics/faq/drumtodisk.html

Specifically, on the Granada thing, yes, it's bolt up, no problems, as if it were really meant to be on the car, that dang easy, but only on the spindles, which also means bearings, discs, calipers and caliper mounts. All you'd need is appropriate hoses. And Granada Tie Rod ends.... Apparently. That article is much more 'canon' than my quick ramblings here.

I don't know if the power booster/master cylinder will work or not. I'd not take a chance if I didn't know. Research is needed for your piece of mind, those things can go wrong very quickly if you don't have your ducks in a row.

The steering and springs will NOT work, those are specific to V8 Mustang. It's not terribly sure that even correct year Falcon parts will work, as we've been through both Falcons and Mustangs, and it seems the steering linkage is always different. But the springs are all the same, and easily gotten, over all.

Johns Mustang, California Mustang, and others are out there. I've dealt with both of these, and a few others.

It's all on Google these days, but I hope that helps ya out!

Last edited by houtex; 1/17/12 at 06:43 PM.