1964-1970 Mustang Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

1965 Restoration - my FIRST!

Search this Thread

Old 7/2/05, 07:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I recently inherited a 1965 Mustang when my Dad recently pasted away. I think now however that it may be a '64 1/2, since it has the "D" code on the engine?
Anyway, the body is not bad, with a few "bubbles" and not much else wrong. I am going to take it in to local body shop to have that taken care of.
The interior (all white) is not very good shape, and I would like to replace most everything. My question is, am I better off trying to have someone "fix" the original seats, or should I buy replacements that are after market? Also, the seats/interior appear to be the standard interior. I really like the "Pony" styles; would the foam and seat covers that are the pony style fit on the standard seat frame? Should I not change to the pony style? I would like to try to keep everything as it would be available from Ford at that time.

I'm sure that I'll have many more questions in the future!
Any and all help and comments are most appreciated!!!
THANKS!!!

Old 7/2/05, 04:18 PM
FR500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hey man sorry for ur loss....but if it was me u should be able to find the deluxe pony package interior at CJ Pony Parts http://www.cjponyparts.com they carry all sorts of remanufactured parts and very good to deal with hope that helps
Old 7/2/05, 05:11 PM

Sorry to hear your dad passed away.

The "D" engine code would be the 5th character of the VIN number, wouldn't be on the engine itself. My VIN is 5R09CXXXXXX, with the C being the 2 barrel 289, D would be a 289 four barrel, similar to the '65 and up "A" code (a desireable combination).
You can put the pony foam and seats on your frames, the frames themselves are the same. Aftermarket replacements look great, just buy from a reputable dealer. I've had good luck with CJ also, but there are others out there. Upholstery is relatively easy to do, headliners get a bit tricky.
Post pics if you get a chance.
Good luck on your new acquisition. MikeR
Old 7/2/05, 09:40 PM
FR500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
hey mike u and i should get some specialty parts from CJ lol we're giving them lolts of business
Old 7/6/05, 01:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by vikinglike@July 2, 2005, 7:26 AM
I recently inherited a 1965 Mustang when my Dad recently pasted away. I think now however that it may be a '64 1/2, since it has the "D" code on the engine?
Anyway, the body is not bad, with a few "bubbles" and not much else wrong. I am going to take it in to local body shop to have that taken care of.
The interior (all white) is not very good shape, and I would like to replace most everything. My question is, am I better off trying to have someone "fix" the original seats, or should I buy replacements that are after market? Also, the seats/interior appear to be the standard interior. I really like the "Pony" styles; would the foam and seat covers that are the pony style fit on the standard seat frame? Should I not change to the pony style? I would like to try to keep everything as it would be available from Ford at that time.

I'm sure that I'll have many more questions in the future!
Any and all help and comments are most appreciated!!!
THANKS!!!

The "D" in the VIN is indicative of a 64 1/2. If you can find the production date on the door tag then that will help decide too (if the door hasn't been changed).

As for the seats, you can recover them yourself if you are willing. The upholstery kits come with the covers already sewn. All you have to do is remove the old ones, slide the new ones on and hog ring them. The covers are easier to work with if you get them warm, either in the sun or a short stint in a clothes dryer on low.

The foam for the Pony covers is different than the standards but the frames are the same. You will probably want to replace the foam regardless of which style cover you use anyway.

Be aware also that the Pony interior consisted of more than just the seat covers. If you want to be "correct" then you'll have to change the door panels, inside door handles and kick panels.