1964-1970 Mustang Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

1965 mustand coupe

Search this Thread

Old 9/19/13, 09:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1965 mustand coupe

Hello everyone! First post on here so here it goes

I have a chance to buy a 1965 mustang that has been sitting in a garage since 1991. The engine is not locked up but it is not the original engine in it, I get that for free on the side and it has been out since 1988. The gentleman selling the car only wants 1000 bucks for it, it was his dads and after his dad passed away his son didn't want to work on the cars and needs it gone fast. Since this is my first mustang buy or hopefully mustang buy, what things should I look out for. After looking up the code and vin, i know the interior is not the same unless he had it ordered differently. I am really just asking for any advice when it comes to buying a mustang that is this old and been sitting for so long. There is minimal rust on the body by the way.
Old 9/19/13, 09:52 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts
What geographic area is the care located? It won't tell us everything of course, but if the car is currently in the rust belt (or from there), there could be LOTS of hidden rust. The 60's Mustangs are famous for rust in all sorts of hidden (and not-so-hidden) places. I would not go by exterior panels; they're too cheap and easy to replace to assume there's no rust hiding elsewhere.

Does it start/run/drive? 6 cyl. or V8 engine currently? Five lug or four lug wheels? These items wills tart to tell what has been done to the car, which based on your initial information, already appears to have been through ch-ch-ch-changes.
Old 9/19/13, 09:23 PM
Bullitt Member

As stated, rust can be a huge issue. From my personal recent Mustang shopping experience, I would get underneath it with a flashlight, knock on the floorboards, look at the framerails and the wheel wells. Also check in the trunk around the gas tank, etc. If there is rot, and you aren't skilled in welding and have the time/space/$ to do some serious work, I would walk away regardless of the price. You are going to be better off starting with a solid car for a little more money than fixing up a rotted out one.

If it's a solid body, all the parts are there, you plan to put some work into it, and he really just wants it gone, then it might be a good buy. Any pictures?
Old 9/20/13, 09:19 AM

The orange on the side is the original paint below, His father before he passed wanted to paint it black, he was prepping for it and passed before that was complete. I thought it was rust, but its not. It has tons of dust from sitting in there for 20+ years. When I get down there next week or two I will update pics and hopefully buy it, but it has to be something I can handle as well.
Attached Thumbnails 1965 mustand coupe-photo-1.jpg   1965 mustand coupe-photo-2.jpg   1965 mustand coupe-photo-3.jpg  
Old 9/20/13, 11:54 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 779 Likes on 568 Posts
You have to figure its going to take 5 to 6 k at the least to get it going again. paint, brakes, tires, tune up parts... will you be doing all that work yourself?

of course we would need to see the car first hand to be able to tell you what it may be worth. What state is it in??
Old 9/20/13, 12:46 PM

down in FL, yeah I will be doing all that I can by myself. I am 23 just getting out of college and want something fun to work on and learn learn learn. Got tons of friends who hav done body work and work on mustangs of there own so I'm not just dishing out my money and car to someone and sayng restore it. I want to do it myself and learn from people as they teach me