Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

My '11 GT "Not domestic" but my Honda Odyssey IS?!?

Search this Thread

Old 3/11/11, 09:53 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My '11 GT "Not domestic" but my Honda Odyssey IS?!?

Don't know if anyone noticed, but in my latest Car-and-Driver magazine (April 2011) there's an article (page 20) that looks at all makes/models of cars/trucks produced in North America and lists the "Domestic content" of each, meaning how much is USA or Canadian-made. The recent yardstick has been that it's "domestic" if the domestic content is 75% or greater. This isn't the magazine's call, I believe the EPA (or somesuch flawless federal entity) determines the number and slaps it on a sticker onto the new car).

WELLLL, per this article:
My wife's 2006 Honda Odyssey, made in Alabama, is 75% domestic content, making it a good-ol' American-made classic.
My 2011 Mustang, made in Flat Rock, Michigan, only has 65% domestic content. (!!!!!!)

Dang, I KNEW that Chinese tranny and spare tire rim would come back to bite somewhere! OK, just kidding on that, and I know none of the above really amounts to a hill-of-beans, but I found it ironic that a Honda Odyssey would have more domestic content than an all-American icon like the Mustang.

Last edited by Double-EDad; 3/11/11 at 09:59 AM.
Old 3/11/11, 09:58 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sometimes I cringe at certain posts I've read on here about "buying American" considering I'm not really sure what that is anymore with our global economy.

If you buy a Dodge Ram, you "feed" an American executive/company and dealer, but an assembly line worker in Mexico. If you buy an Acura TL, you "feed" the assembly line worker, the dealer, and Honda North America, but ultimately the parent company in Japan.

Which is really better? I don't know the answer to that. I'm happy if my purchases somehow are keeping an American in his/her job. But I find it disappointing when people are so vehement in slamming others for not buying domestic because it's just not that simple anymore.

Even better is when those comments are coming from owners of 20 year old domestic brand vehicles that haven't stimulated the automotive economy in ANY WAY for more than two decades.
Old 3/11/11, 09:58 AM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I read that article also. The Camaro, Challenger, and Charger are also not considered Domestic. Welcome to the world of the "Global Car."
Old 3/11/11, 10:19 AM
GT Member

While a lot of the parts are global, the finished product is sold here and the profits go to an American car maker which is what really matters.

I own a computer business. Everything in the computer is pretty much made elsewhere, but I sell it and make the profit. Thus the profits go to an American company.
Old 3/11/11, 10:52 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Double-EDad
Don't know if anyone noticed, but in my latest Car-and-Driver magazine (April 2011) there's an article (page 20) that looks at all makes/models of cars/trucks produced in North America and lists the "Domestic content" of each, meaning how much is USA or Canadian-made. The recent yardstick has been that it's "domestic" if the domestic content is 75% or greater. This isn't the magazine's call, I believe the EPA (or somesuch flawless federal entity) determines the number and slaps it on a sticker onto the new car).

WELLLL, per this article:
My wife's 2006 Honda Odyssey, made in Alabama, is 75% domestic content, making it a good-ol' American-made classic.
My 2011 Mustang, made in Flat Rock, Michigan, only has 65% domestic content. (!!!!!!)

Dang, I KNEW that Chinese tranny and spare tire rim would come back to bite somewhere! OK, just kidding on that, and I know none of the above really amounts to a hill-of-beans, but I found it ironic that a Honda Odyssey would have more domestic content than an all-American icon like the Mustang.
Just throw the spare tire and rim out and call it even.
Old 3/11/11, 11:17 AM

That, my friend, was a very intelligent and objective commentary on this subject.

Oops. That was intended for BlueSkyVert.

By the way, I have a PhD in Traffic School.

Last edited by dennis; 3/11/11 at 11:20 AM. Reason: Not in right place.
Old 3/11/11, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by BlueSkyVert
Sometimes I cringe at certain posts I've read on here about "buying American" considering I'm not really sure what that is anymore with our global economy.

If you buy a Dodge Ram, you "feed" an American executive/company and dealer, but an assembly line worker in Mexico.
Remember that Chrysler is mostly Italian owned now. It had been German for quite a while.

I've had a few conversations that lead me to believe people have very uninformed opinions about what is domestic and what is foreign. I always tell people who get in a huff about foreign cars to go on the Niekei and buy some Japanese stock.
Old 3/11/11, 12:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by BlueSkyVert
You're absolutely correct....Honda, for one, has BILLIONS invested in US facilities, and directly employs 25,000 associates in the US, plus hundreds of thousands in associated support businesses..... an $8 Billion payroll impact. I was there when the first US plant opened 32 years ago in 1979. We had a few hundred US employees at the time and the plant about doubled that..

I worked for them for 22 years, made a nice living as a Motorcycle Division exec, and will receive a generous pension soon, all generated by US profits...(you might say Honda sales paid for my Mustang...Ironic huh?)

Even that Icon of US performance cars, the Corvette, is only 77% US content.

The worlds a big place.

http://corporate.honda.com/america/

Last edited by Modshack; 3/11/11 at 12:37 PM.
Old 3/11/11, 12:39 PM
Bullitt Member

Yep its a global economy now, we can't make every last part in the USA anymore, thats why I kinda think the whole buy American thing is overblown anymore. At least its "mostly" American made. I'm as patriotic as the next American, but hey its almost impossible to find anything 100% American made anymore.
Old 3/11/11, 03:37 PM
Bullitt Member

So since i dont have a spare tire can i get a 66% rating ?? lol
Old 3/11/11, 03:52 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by rodmoe
So since i dont have a spare tire can i get a 66% rating ?? lol
Exactly! And I found myself wondering if an A/T equipped Mustang would come closer to the 75% threshold.
Old 3/11/11, 04:24 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I read that article too ... very interesting but it kind of depressed me too seeing many imports with higher domestic content than many domestics.

Doug
Old 3/11/11, 05:04 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by MustangTiffi
Remember that Chrysler is mostly Italian owned now. It had been German for quite a while.

I've had a few conversations that lead me to believe people have very uninformed opinions about what is domestic and what is foreign. I always tell people who get in a huff about foreign cars to go on the Niekei and buy some Japanese stock.

Right, I was looking at the fact they are built in Canada and considered American muscle cars by everyone.

I am waiting for the new Chrysler owners to change the company name on the cars. Soon, we could have the all new Fiat Challenger....
Old 3/11/11, 08:27 PM
Bullitt Member

My opinion (since the global market comments are 100% accurate) : if its a mustang, its American. If its a ferrari, its Italian. If its a Subaru, its a Japanese car. And so on....simple.
Old 3/12/11, 06:58 AM

Well I feel we now live in a global market, the US is a company of innovation not really set up for lots line type of work anymore IMO. But maybe the cost of some of the auto unions, poor managment created this, they just got pretty expensive to build in the US. I am not sure companies like Honda, Toyota have unions. But I think this is all getting worked out after the collaps of GM. The US auto workers and companies are making much better cars now. I now own two fords. I use to be a Honda guy but all there car are now boring. I feel Ford has the best line up now.
Old 3/12/11, 12:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Yes i miss lusting after a Type R or even a rear wheel drive Type S they just make so many cookie cutter cars now a days .. Well then there is that sound too i must say i enjoy getting looked at for the V8 sound vs my old soup can sound of my nice lil Acura. nice car but no where near as inspiring for me These "Pony" cars will always be American muscle to me at least and i am glad they all made the trip back from the Boring days of the 80-90's Kcar times !! LOL I think i'll go enjoy my stang and argue with The radio lady about playing music LOL