Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Modified navigation system with European maps/internet

Search this Thread

Old 9/4/11, 01:58 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Modified navigation system with European maps/internet

I integrated/developed this solution with available hardware on the market because there is no possibility to change the maps from North American to other continents if you opt for the Electronics Package. Not good for the exported mustangs. Like everyone with this option I wanted my screen to display nav maps. I also wanted internet and to retain every feature that the car was delivered with. Also I didn't want to cut any wires. Not a single factory radio wire was cut for this modification. Although not plug and play, it is a custom build with additional hardware. Ultimately this is an awesome solution. This can be performed on any Ford with this generation nav system.

Let me know what you think or send me your questions if you have a mustang with navigation outside of the USA :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnHOBtSPHgs

First video: http://www.vimeo.com/28469562

Last edited by eurocobra; 9/5/11 at 09:30 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by eurocobra:
paolofxr (1/11/20)
Old 9/5/11, 07:08 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WOW! I'm impressed. Thats wonderful. I do have a few questions.
1. Will it work with an Iphone?

2. Will I be able to use the original software when I get back to the USA?

3. When can I bring my car?

Good solution, excellent work.
Old 9/5/11, 09:05 AM

Very Interesting. I could also see this as being useful years down the road when the in dash Nav and computer stuff is outdated.

I searched for your other videos you mention but could find nothing. How are you accomplishing this?
Old 9/5/11, 09:21 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by RyleyinSTL
Very Interesting. I could also see this as being useful years down the road when the in dash Nav and computer stuff is outdated.

I searched for your other videos you mention but could find nothing. How are you accomplishing this?
Here is the other (first) video: http://www.vimeo.com/28469562

If you are in the USA it is also cool to have such an upgrade. Outside of the USA there is no way to update the nav maps for other continents. Ford will more than likely keep North America map updates available for many years to come. It is profotable for them and Navteq to do so.
Old 9/5/11, 09:29 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Big Poppa
WOW! I'm impressed. Thats wonderful. I do have a few questions.
1. Will it work with an Iphone?

2. Will I be able to use the original software when I get back to the USA?

3. When can I bring my car?

Good solution, excellent work.
I will have to borrow an iphone for a day to make it work. I can make it work for sure (more challenging if it is component video out only).

Original Electronics Package firmware is retained and cen be flashed quite easily within less than one minute. Hardware is not quite plug and play but is fairly easy to return back to stock. No wires are cut, just a few "Y" connectors.

We can talk about bringing your car really soon. I just want to make sure there are no legal issues to modify another owner's vehicle. I am considering selling my idea to a vehicle importer and they can perform this on vehicles as they are converted to Euro specs. Later this month perhaps.
Old 9/5/11, 10:03 AM

Thanks. I'm not worried about Navteq updates, I agree that they should be available for years. My thought is that being the current Mustang Nav is Ford's last generation (not the new MyTouch currently coming on other new Ford models) that it's features will seem very dated in 5 to 10 years compared to what is on the market and certainly compared to what your mobile phone could do. This solution adds a bit of future proofing for US/CAN owners.

Do you have more details on how you spliced in the video feed to the rear camera input?

Originally Posted by eurocobra
Here is the other (first) video: http://www.vimeo.com/28469562

If you are in the USA it is also cool to have such an upgrade. Outside of the USA there is no way to update the nav maps for other continents. Ford will more than likely keep North America map updates available for many years to come. It is profotable for them and Navteq to do so.

Last edited by RyleyinSTL; 9/5/11 at 10:10 AM.
Old 9/5/11, 11:16 AM
Bullitt Member

Cool!

the new google maps is probably the best nav software out there anyways..so it's a nice upgrade.

I would assume you could watch videos through this method as well considering it's basically a hdmi out method?

good work! maybe a write up or a kit for those who are too far away from you to add it?
Old 9/5/11, 11:17 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by eurocobra
I will have to borrow an iphone for a day to make it work. I can make it work for sure (more challenging if it is component video out only).

Original Electronics Package firmware is retained and cen be flashed quite easily within less than one minute. Hardware is not quite plug and play but is fairly easy to return back to stock. No wires are cut, just a few "Y" connectors.

We can talk about bringing your car really soon. I just want to make sure there are no legal issues to modify another owner's vehicle. I am considering selling my idea to a vehicle importer and they can perform this on vehicles as they are converted to Euro specs. Later this month perhaps.
I understand that legal issues could come into play and I can always use another more friendly phone for the NAV.
Old 9/5/11, 12:47 PM
Bullitt Member

I used a few products on the market and it may seem a bit simple but it is quite complex. I took me a few months to get the results and flexibility that I wanted. The manufacturers were no help at all. They told me that their product was not designed for that and would not assist with the pin out of a wiring harness that I integrated/modified. They said they have to protect their interests. Ultimately I pleaded with them to save myself some time but NO HELP.

I will show them what I achieved and ask that they tailor parts for a kit for this upgrade. I will most likely have a bit of firmware change as well. I also need a car without the rearview camera but have the electronics package option like the GT500. I have two nearby but one of them have to commit to buying the hardware.

Working on it so everyone can benefit. Standby for more.

Last edited by eurocobra; 9/5/11 at 01:03 PM.
Old 9/5/11, 01:02 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Big Poppa
I understand that legal issues could come into play and I can always use another more friendly phone for the NAV.
I am up for the challenge.......I will get the image from the iPhone. Regarding the legal issues, I will have that question resolved as well. Ultimately I want to be clear that nothing was reverse engineered from Ford/Navteq/Samsung/Clarion. I just added another input and a way to access the signal.

The blackbox navigation system that is seamlessly integrated was ingenius as is the many features of popular smart phone. Bringing it all together on the nav screen and retaining ALL of the features from the factory is awesome.
Old 9/5/11, 09:48 PM
MOTM Committee Member

This is awesome!! I almost wanna do it even in the US!

Old 9/6/11, 11:05 AM
Mach 1 Member

Hey Euro, that looks great! Do you have any more details about the integrated system?
I have the electronics package and an iphone 3gs if you want to give that a shot?

Thanks @ Jason for pointing me to this thread!

Ben.
Old 9/6/11, 12:39 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by hhbh720
Hey Euro, that looks great! Do you have any more details about the integrated system?
I have the electronics package and an iphone 3gs if you want to give that a shot?

Thanks @ Jason for pointing me to this thread!

Ben.
Working on having the text revised from "VIEW CAMERA" to "VIEW VIDEO" as well as a couple of more small custom revisions. I will be in the USA in a week and hopefully I will be able to obtain a revised batch of modules.

Last edited by eurocobra; 9/7/11 at 12:43 AM.
Old 10/7/14, 10:22 AM

hey Euro Cobra !!
Is a little time has passed since your post that I find very interesting.
Do you have in the meantime developed a kit. If so, I would like to have.
I'm from Germany, Osnabrück accurate and have a 2010 Shelby GT500 with the electronics package and without the rearview camera.
So if you have something, you can email me.
raffo@gmx.de
Old 5/11/15, 05:42 AM

Also interrested! Also from Germany!

can you tell me how it works?
wanna bring a iphone 5s Screen (lightning Cable? maybe hdmi-converter in between?!) to the Nav-Display from the Shaker 500 in a Mustang 2014! can you tell me how i make this happen?!

so if i dont got it wrong you installed a y-cable with a switch in between the rearview-camera video signalcable.... but where is this cable? and how can i add another video source (=iphone)?

Last edited by sturze; 5/11/15 at 05:45 AM.