Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

3m Paint Defender SPRAY-ON Clear Bra

Search this Thread

Old 6/14/13, 07:19 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
3m Paint Defender SPRAY-ON Clear Bra

Anyone had any experience with this:

Looks like a great idea - just curious if it works, and if it would cause uneven paint fading underneath....
Old 6/15/13, 03:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know about this stuff, yet. I have heard that it oversprays like a ****, so you have to be sure to cover EVERYTHING you don't want it getting on.

Soon, as soon as I get my shipment, I will be attempting clear plastidip covered with glossifier, and I will report on how this works as a clear bra. I am prepared for a slightly opaque finish, but it is worth it to me for some piece of mind, and being able to easily remove it for a car show.
Old 6/20/13, 03:30 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have been wondering about this as well. Coming from 3M I would think that they did enough product testing to ensure that there was minimum fade from sun exposure. I would also think that it would take a couple of years to accumulate enough sun expose to be noticeable. Who would leave that stuff on there for more than a year anyway though. I would redo it after a year just to freshen it up anyway.
Old 6/20/13, 06:07 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Stevedotmil
I have been wondering about this as well. Coming from 3M I would think that they did enough product testing to ensure that there was minimum fade from sun exposure. I would also think that it would take a couple of years to accumulate enough sun expose to be noticeable. Who would leave that stuff on there for more than a year anyway though. I would redo it after a year just to freshen it up anyway.
I was more concerned about uneven paint fade - difference in color between what was under the film and the "exposed" sections.

I'm really considering this for my car - the "Love Bugs" are terrible down here and I don't want to risk them eating my paint up ever time I drive...
Old 6/20/13, 07:31 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
[QUOTE=ColSaulTigh;6643616]I was more concerned about uneven paint fade - difference in color between what was under the film and the "exposed" sections.QUOTE]

That's what I was talking about. The resisitance to fading from the elements for the paint under the coating versus the non-covered parts.
Old 6/23/13, 10:25 PM

Here's a thread on another forum about this very product. I have been warning guys about this stuff and how applying it is NOT exactly as simple as it seems. You have to be very experienced with this stuff or your reality will not be a good one. Guys are finding this out left and right.
Old 6/24/13, 06:29 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Junkman2008
Here's a thread on another forum about this very product. I have been warning guys about this stuff and how applying it is NOT exactly as simple as it seems. You have to be very experienced with this stuff or your reality will not be a good one. Guys are finding this out left and right.
Words FROM the wise!

I guess I'll pass on this one.
Old 6/24/13, 11:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks for posting that thread Junkman. Good stuff to know! I am going to try clear plastidip with glossifier later this week or next so I will post those results!