GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Headers, what a headache

Search this Thread

Old 4/30/16, 10:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Headers, what a headache

I was thinking of having a shop install my headers and mid pipe but then I thought to myself I've done headers before. I even have a 24 year old son to help me and he's eager to help because he loves to work on cars. My BBK setup arrived from American Muscle and they looked great and the instructions made me think this can't be too tough. I followed them step by step and it all went great until I had to remove the old manifold bolts. I got all the top ones off and the 1st lower bolt closest to the radiator on the drivers side.

This is where things started to go bad. The rear lower bolt on the passengers side snapped off and I thought once the manifolds are off I can get the stud out no problem. Then the rear lower bolt on the driver side snapped off, mind you I used PB Blaster and let them soak for a long while. This is where I stopped and said to my boy, "that's it I'm throwing in the towel". I'll tow it to the shop and let them finish the job for me. My son looked at me and said we should keep going and if we have to we can take the engine out to work on it easier, we do have an engine hoist. I said no son I'll cut my losses here. There is nothing that can't be done as long as you throw enough money at it. He then reminded me back in the day I would have kept going but now I'm older and have money so nope.

I hope to have my Wicked Steed back up and running by next weekend.

Has anyone had similar problems and If so I'd like to hear about them.

On a side note, American Muscle rules. Great prices and quick free shipping. I've ordered so many things from them in the past 3 years and never once have I had a problem or been dissatisfied. Thanks guys.

And if my son ever reads this, you're the best for sticking with me and helping as much as you do, love you.
Old 5/1/16, 10:52 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
I didn't have issues, was a PIA though. It's pretty common for steel bolts in an aluminum head, especially with the extreme heat cycles it sees, to get stuck. It's a reaction between the two different metals. Forgot the technical name for it.
Old 5/1/16, 07:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Does anyone know of a good place to take her in the Bronx, NY area.
Old 5/2/16, 09:33 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 776 Likes on 567 Posts
No idea on where to take it. I did mine and I was lucky no broken bolts. Be careful where you get a headers tune from if you have to pass emissions. Make sure the tune you get has all O2 sensors on! I mean ask the question when calling around for tunes.
Old 5/2/16, 12:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Screw headers. Stock exhaust with a blower. More power, less busted knuckles.

I love the sound of them. But they are a huge PITA to put on.
Old 5/2/16, 10:07 PM
Bullitt Member

Glenn
I get my tunes from BAMA and since they give you two tunes I ask for both of them to be 93 octane race tunes, one with o2's and one without. I do this only because in NY I have to pass emissions inspection.

Sqidd
My son suggested twin turbos and I turned him down, I prefer to keep it old school. I won't supercharge my engine that has almost 100k with stock internals, but thanks for the input.

I spoke with the owner of a local muffler shop and he said he'd help me out and finish the job. He did good work on my '99 Expy. Had a complete exhaust replacement done because the manifolds were completely rusted and you could poke holes in them. It's going in tomorrow and should be done by end of the day. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Old 5/3/16, 12:32 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I was told in writing by Bama that they turn the rear O2's off when tuning for headers. I would call them and double check if I were you. I have been running bama tunes with my headers and have never passed emissions.
Old 5/3/16, 04:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by sqidd
Screw headers. Stock exhaust with a blower. More power, less busted knuckles.

I love the sound of them. But they are a huge PITA to put on.
Wait, are you saying stock exhaust with a blower makes more power than headers with a blower? I don't think so.
Old 5/3/16, 05:04 PM
GT Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Gigantor, here in Suffolk I just used Mustang Magic and was satisfied with them. It was suspension work, but he specializes in Mustangs. Google the name.
The following users liked this post:
Gigantor (5/3/16)
Old 5/4/16, 06:54 PM
Bullitt Member

OK I got my baby back from the shop. I was told that the rear o2 sensors weren't connected because the extensions were too short. I tried and they did reach but not by much. If you ask me they could have been longer. For some reason they decided to weld the x-pipe to the tubes that go to the mufflers. At least I won't have to worry about any leaks. It's been raining so I haven't been able to go out and see how she runs. I will call Mustang Magic about installing cams.
Old 5/5/16, 06:45 PM
Legacy TMS Member

ya have to stretch the o2 cords. they will reach. Maybe even open the deal they come out of. Can't remember what id did but they made it on mine. I did run extensions for a while but thought it might have been one of the reasons for a check engine light. I removed the extensions and made the connections.