Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

American Muscle Hood Mount Turn Signal

Search this Thread

Old 4/21/16, 04:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
American Muscle Hood Mount Turn Signal

Just saw on American Muscle they have a hood mounted turn signal. I LOVE old school throw back stuff. Especially when it is done well. A good friend of mine has a 68 Fastback and it drives me crazy that he will not fix the factory hood mounted turn signals. I always thought that was such a cool option. Anyway I was hoping someone had more info on this kit. Who makes it? It is quality or cheap looking in person? And most importantly to me is install. AM says there is no drilling or grinding on the hood vent and no wiring modifications. But lots of places say items are "Plug and Play" then tell you to cut wires or use splice connectors. Which is NOT plug and play to me! Any info or pictures would be awesome. There was surprisingly little on AM about the product.
Old 4/21/16, 04:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
There is one customer picture on AM. Hood heat extractors are not visible through the front glass, unless you sit all the way up high with the head touching the roof. Basically its a fun mod, but you wont be able to see it, and to me it kills the whole point.
Old 4/21/16, 05:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by =HYPERDRIVE=
but you wont be able to see it, and to me it kills the whole point.
Agreed. It sounded neat until I looked up on AM.
Old 4/21/16, 06:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

Visibility was definitely one of my concerns. I need to sit in my vehicle and see what my perspective is. I am not a giant but at 6' 2" I am taller than average. I am also really curious of install and how it looks under hood.
Old 4/22/16, 09:14 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Having owned a '68, as soon as I saw this a few weeks ago, I was excited! Then I went and sat in my car and noticed I couldn't see them while driving, which is the whole point! It was a great idea, but sadly, doesn't work for me... I would have bought these in a second if I could actually see them! I LOVED that feature on my '68 (as well as high beams and windshield wiper buttons/pedal on the floor)!

They don't have an installation video for the '13's but they do for the '15's, which should give you at least an idea of how the install would go...
Old 4/22/16, 10:04 AM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
I know which way I'm turning. I don't need no stinkin' blinkin' lite to remind me.
Old 4/22/16, 01:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
The company that makes these should invest and make their own heat extractor that has portion in front or the back that sticks out gently above the hood, and have the light installed in that location. Only problem then would be the cost, probably another 150-200+ dollars for good quality extractors just for this mod.

Last edited by =HYPERDRIVE=; 4/22/16 at 08:00 PM.
Old 4/22/16, 01:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by =HYPERDRIVE=
The company that makes these should invest and make their own heat extractor that has portion in front or the back that sticks out gently above the hood, and have the light installed in that location. Only problem then would be the coast, probably another 150-200+ dollars for good quality extractors just for this mod.
What If I don't live on the coast?
Old 4/22/16, 05:29 PM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Received 1,088 Likes on 788 Posts
Originally Posted by 14Glassback
I always thought that was such a cool option.

My '67 fastback had them. They were very cool. You could see them very easily.

I would love to hear some review info on these and see some actual pictures. Sounds like a cool option, but if they aren't visible when driving what's the point.

I also wondered about putting them in the back of my Roush hood scoop. I had a friend back in the late 70's who had a '69 sportsroof with the factory hood scoop. It had the turn signals mounted in the rear of his hood scoop. Looked pretty cool and were very functional.

Last edited by shaneyusa; 4/22/16 at 05:31 PM.
Old 4/22/16, 07:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

I watched the install video on CJ Pony... As I suspected it is not what I consider plug and play. Back in tech school we called them Scotch Locks. But they call them quick connectors. All they do is pierce the wire. Which then makes it susceptible to corrosion... Too bad... I could even live with the poor visibility on the 14. But damaging wiring to install... Out for me.
Old 4/26/16, 08:33 PM
V6 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by shaneyusa
My '67 fastback had them. They were very cool. You could see them very easily.

I would love to hear some review info on these and see some actual pictures. Sounds like a cool option, but if they aren't visible when driving what's the point.

I also wondered about putting them in the back of my Roush hood scoop. I had a friend back in the late 70's who had a '69 sportsroof with the factory hood scoop. It had the turn signals mounted in the rear of his hood scoop. Looked pretty cool and were very functional.
=========================================

I had a '69 coupe with the lil fake hood scoop.

Amber signal indictors on the back side of the scoop.

Was VERY cool !

RWSRWS
Old 4/29/16, 05:05 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Buddy of mine picked up a 2016 GT in which I guess they come standard now?!? If your sitting in the driver's seat you cant see the passenger side one and vica versa when sitting in the passenger seat... I thought the original purpose was to remind you your blinker was on in case it didn't turn off after the steering wheel straightened out. Not sure how they serve that purpose now if you can only see the one on your side of the car. I had a friend back in high school with a 67 that had them and if I remember correctly you could see both of them from inside in either seat.

Last edited by MADSCOTSMAN; 4/29/16 at 05:07 AM.
Old 4/29/16, 08:47 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yep, you could definitely see both of them from either seat back then! But the hoods back then were also pretty straight, especially compared with the curved hoods we have now. For it to work *as intended* in our cars, they'd have to mount them where the windshield wiper nozzles are somewhere close to that... Or on the back side of a scoop (as mentioned above)...
Old 4/29/16, 12:14 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by TripleBlack14
I know which way I'm turning. I don't need no stinkin' blinkin' lite to remind me.
My point exactly