General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

air bag recall

Search this Thread

Old 2/14/16, 06:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
air bag recall

Has anyone been told that their mustang is worth less on a trade because of the open air bag recall? The parts needed are not available.
Old 2/14/16, 08:03 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
I haven't... but then, I'm not gonna trade it in either. Nor have I done the first of two recalls regarding this issue.

If they're getting less on trade, it's because they're *all* getting less on trade, not because of some recall. It's a bad excuse if they're using that.

Simply go to KBB.com or NADA.com and get your trade in value that way. At least you'll have a ball park value, and unless you're trading/selling it.. so what if the recall affects the value? It's still yours, right? Right.
Old 2/15/16, 04:28 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I've been waiting since summer last year for the airbag recall, what a joke.
Old 2/16/16, 09:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
unless you live in a highly humid location, (Florida Louisiana) they say you should be perfectly fine. Its only when the pieces become rusty and brake off that it becomes an issue.
Old 2/16/16, 05:38 PM

I was looking to trade mine in. It appears some dealers don't want the liability thus they plan to wholesale the car resulting in a lower trade value. Excuse, maybe not.
Old 2/16/16, 09:26 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Let me say this another way:

They can sell the car. And they will sell it for *whatever the price should be*, recall or not.

So if they can use this excuse, and you buy it, then they win more money, but be not confused... they aren't going to get the recall done (because parts) and they aren't going to sell it for less than what they normally would.

For them to use this excuse is silly... or on purpose because they don't want to deal with you for whatever reason.

They don't even have to tell you it's under a recall, or fix it. All legal. As the owner of the car, you also aren't required to get it fixed. The manufacturer is the one liable at the moment. And all they can do is try to notify you and get you to bring it in... once there's a part.

---

But that said... if you're just poking about asking dealers "how much is my trade in?" and not actually going to negotiate, you're not worth their time. They don't want to buy your car as much as you buy *theirs*.

Until you're serious about buying the car, then you can expect this kind of treatment. Go in, negotiate the 'new' car first, then kick the trade into play. Watch them work harder for that. And be sure you can leave at any time, ensuring that you have all your stuff until it's NOT yours anymore... aka when you're in finance signing the deal. As long as you can just say "Yeah, ok, no thanks, we're done." and walk out, you have the leverage.

If you smell of desperation, or desire, you're done for. If you're more 'meh, maybe I'll buy it, maybe not', then they'll sweeten pots left and right to get the sale and their quotas.

Good luck, but don't let them fool you on what's going on. They want a sale, not a question. Until they smell a sale, they won't bother with you, you're costing them time.
Old 3/19/16, 03:10 PM

Thanks for sharing but I know how to buy a car.
Old 3/19/16, 03:51 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Yes, one dealer would not take my car in trade. One low balled me. And one (the only Ford dealer of these 3) offered me what it was worth, as they said they have special allowance by Ford to sell the car even with the recall. They said there's a form they have the buyer fill out that releases the dealer of any liability if they have an issue with the airbag, and thus places the liability on Ford itself.
Old 3/19/16, 03:52 PM
Legacy TMS Member

That said, I didn't trade the car and will not. I decided to keep it and go farther down the mod hill, and I'm never coming out of said dark place
Attached Thumbnails air bag recall-photo271.jpg  
Old 3/25/16, 05:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I looked into trading my 14 GT in on a 15 GT and I mentioned the air bag recall and if it was going to effect my trade-in. They told me no because it's not my fault there is a recall. Of Coarse they only offered me $22,000 on my base model GT with the automatic transmission with only 19,200 miles on it which I wasn't impressed with and is one of the reasons I didn't trade.

Wayne
Old 3/26/16, 08:21 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 684 Likes on 347 Posts
Got a post card yesterday from the dealership I ordered the 2011 from. Invited me to schedule an appointment to have the ( 15S21 ) recall service performed.
I sent them an e-mail requesting a copy of the TSB for that service.
Old 3/26/16, 08:51 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by 70monte
I looked into trading my 14 GT in on a 15 GT and I mentioned the air bag recall and if it was going to effect my trade-in. They told me no because it's not my fault there is a recall. Of Coarse they only offered me $22,000 on my base model GT with the automatic transmission with only 19,200 miles on it which I wasn't impressed with and is one of the reasons I didn't trade.

Wayne
$22k on a base GT with only an auto is an amazing trade offer and you should have taken it. Base no option GTs were selling for $24k new. One dealer offered me $21k for my fully loaded Glass Roof Premium GT, *because* of the airbag recall. Best I got offered was $27k on trade at a Ford dealer and $24.5k to just buy the car off me, from the same Ford dealer. I also only had like 15k miles at the time.
Old 3/30/16, 02:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by laserred38
$22k on a base GT with only an auto is an amazing trade offer and you should have taken it. Base no option GTs were selling for $24k new. One dealer offered me $21k for my fully loaded Glass Roof Premium GT, *because* of the airbag recall. Best I got offered was $27k on trade at a Ford dealer and $24.5k to just buy the car off me, from the same Ford dealer. I also only had like 15k miles at the time.
They weren't selling for $24k new around here. I also bought my car in August of 2013 so the incentives for 2014's was only $2k at the time. I payed $28,400 for my car which was only $172 over invoice. About a year later, cars equipped like mine were selling for $26,600 new.

I decided I didn't like the new model well enough to go into more debt even though they had a killer deal on their car. MSRP was $43,190 and they were selling it for $35,000 even. They had had it for a year and it still had not sold. Of coarse it had previous hail damage which they had fixed so that was the other reason it was going that cheap.

It was a 2015 GT Premium automatic with 50 year anniversary package in Competition Orange.

Wayne
Old 5/5/16, 12:58 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnnyMustang2
Has anyone been told that their mustang is worth less on a trade because of the open air bag recall? The parts needed are not available.
I was told yesterday 5/4/16, that it will be September 2016 or later for my mustangs airbag replacement.