Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Roush TVS Tune Question

Search this Thread

Old 2/20/14, 04:48 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roush TVS Tune Question

The latest Roush TVS kits come with instructions for tuning that give you two different options. 1. - Send the PCM to roush the old fasioned way. Or 2. - Download the free roush diagnostic tool software and flash the PCM yourself. The second options requires a J2534 pass-through device (PUMA, VCM I, VCMII, etc...) What the heck is that? I tried to google it and came up with anything from a thousand dollar programmer tool to just a simple USB to OBDII cable. Has anybody done the Roush tune themselves? Or is this something that only dealers will have? I like the idea of using the roush diagnostic software because it has several tests that are performed after the blower is installed. Plus, it would be easier to just do it myself rather than mailing the PCM.
Old 2/20/14, 04:51 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,200 Posts
I agree about mailing the PCM in the mail. Not too keen on that.
Will you still be under full warranty if you do the ROush tune yourself as opposed to a dealer or Roush doing it? That's a key question.
Old 2/20/14, 05:11 PM
V6 Member

Unfortunately, no you will not be under warranty if you do any of the install, including the tune, yourself. Unless you are an ASE certified technician. I would love to have a warranty, but I just don't want to dish out another $1500+ (375 for warranty and 1200 install). I'm just planning on playing it safe with the roush tune for a while and then possibly going to a VMP tune. I'm prepared for a built shortblock, but won't do it unless necessary.
Old 2/20/14, 05:14 PM
V6 Member

By the way, how does the roush tune feel? Is it really as bad as some make it out to be?
Old 2/20/14, 05:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by thegame
By the way, how does the roush tune feel? Is it really as bad as some make it out to be?
Yes it's horrible. If you're not accustomed to performance autos then you may not notice. The throttle response is slow. Everytime I'd accelerate I always got the feeling the car was backing off on its own. I would say "come on grandma" lol. I didn't feel like it was supercharged at all. Even thought it was over 500 at the wheels, it certainly didn't feel like it. I was very disappointed so I called vmp and now it feels like a raging beast on wheels!!! I wanted the warranty too. Now I have no warranty and no longer regret the supercharger purchase.

It comes down to personal preference. Some will say its fine, others will say it sucks.

Last edited by Thamac15; 2/20/14 at 05:42 PM.
Old 2/20/14, 05:39 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I ran the Roush factory tune for a few months after I put the SC on. They did not offer the download tune at that time so your only option was to send the ECU off to them. They provide you with an overnight box to ship. The turn around was 3 days. Is the tune bad, no it was fine just to conservative for me but fine. I have the phase II (w/the Roush 110mm CAI) and it dyno'ed at 526 rwhp / 442 TQ. The AFR was consistent at 12ish. I have since put a Brenspeed tune on and a B.A.P. and am now at 570 rwhp / 474 TQ. I'm working with VMP on a tune currently because I'm trying to get closer to 600 rwhp.

Last edited by GT50GO; 2/20/14 at 05:43 PM.
Old 2/20/14, 07:00 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,200 Posts
I'm just planning on playing it safe with the roush tune for a while and then possibly going to a VMP tune. I'm prepared for a built shortblock, but won't do it unless necessary.
If I were you,.....I would wait till you have all monies for the supercharger and the VMP tune and do it all at once and be done with it, if that is the route you are going to go. Just the way I would do it.

Originally Posted by GT50GO
Is the tune bad, no it was fine just to conservative for me but fine.
I agree. It's not a bad tune, it's just a conservative tune. Remember,...it needs to last under Roush warranty, or Roush has to pay to fix your car if it's Roush related.
Tuners like Lund, AEM, AED, Brenspeed, and VMP are great tuners and will make a more aggressive tune for you.
Old 2/22/14, 01:14 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The latest Roush TVS kits come with instructions for tuning that give you two different options. 1. - Send the PCM to roush the old fasioned way. Or 2. - Download the free roush diagnostic tool software and flash the PCM yourself. The second options requires a J2534 pass-through device (PUMA, VCM I, VCMII, etc...) What the heck is that? I tried to google it and came up with anything from a thousand dollar programmer tool to just a simple USB to OBDII cable. Has anybody done the Roush tune themselves? Or is this something that only dealers will have? I like the idea of using the roush diagnostic software because it has several tests that are performed after the blower is installed. Plus, it would be easier to just do it myself rather than mailing the PCM.

Have you talked to the place you bought the supercharger from? If they're local to you they may have the hardware on hand.
Old 2/22/14, 05:54 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Jay@Hypermotive
Have you talked to the place you bought the supercharger from? If they're local to you they may have the hardware on hand.
I actually ended up buying the kit from Summit. I couldn't pass up the opportunity for a 10% off coupon I had. I ended up getting the kit for $5300.

The more and more I've been researching, several tuners have stated that the Roush tune actually disables the knock sensors. Even though it's super conservative, I hate to see what would happen with bad gas. I've inquired to some of those tuners to just send me the base Roush tune on an SCT along with their upgraded custom tune. I'm thinking that's the way to go.
Old 5/27/16, 05:27 PM

Or Roush will accept $ 17,000 to say they installed it. They are a little criminalistics. Ok a lot.