Notices
Suspension, Brakes, and Tire Tech Place to discuss suspension mods for all models

Pieced together brake cooling '13/'14 Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 9/5/13, 11:54 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 111 Likes on 101 Posts
Pieced together brake cooling '13/'14 Mustang

For anyone interested, I pieced together the brake duct cooling that Ford Racing offers for ~$375+ for around $180 (could do it for a bit less if you buy less ducting, I bought extra to ensure I have plenty)

Right bezel is DR3Z17E810BA (22.94 from Tousley Ford)
Left bezel is DR3Z17E811BA (22.68 from Tousley Ford)
Backing plates from Blowfish Racing~$75: Backing Plates
Ducting ~$65:
High Temp Ducting High Temp Ducting

Took me a while to locate everything, so if anyone else is trying to piece this together as well, figured I'd pass along the info. If I remember I'll post a couple pictures once I finish my install

Last edited by dmichaels; 9/5/13 at 11:57 AM.
Old 9/5/13, 12:23 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Wow! Thank you for sharing. I didn't even think to do this. That's a heck of a deal.
Old 9/5/13, 12:34 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
While I won't be doing a mod like this I think this is awesome. That's why I like this fourm, Mustang owners helping out others. Thanks for sharing dmichaels!
Old 9/5/13, 12:46 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Mr. V
Wow! Thank you for sharing. I didn't even think to do this. That's a heck of a deal.
Note the bezel PN's I listed are specific to the 2013/2014 bumper. The 2011/2012 bezels are a different PN but are also easier to locate (if I find the PN later on I'll update my post). I had a heck of a time identifying the 2013/2014 PN - big thanks to Steve from BMO forums for actually finding the PN

That's what forums are for though in my opinion - offering new ideas to fellow enthusiasts. Happy I can contribute once in a while
Old 9/5/13, 08:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Great info buddy, i was looking at that too. Perfect upgrade to eliminate brake fade and extend brake life. What i would do is invest in some nice drilled and slotted rotors along with some nice pads. the car would be a beast!
Old 9/5/13, 09:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Dmichaels, thanks for putting this list together. I was just recently looking into this but couldn't find the backing plates ... until now. Thank you

Any thoughts on routing the intakes up to the grill area where the fogs are or scabbing up a mount near the lower grille? Not sure how much room there is to route the tubing. Reason i'm asking is because i have the fogs where the bezels mount and don't want to lose them.

As said already, another reason this forum is great!!
Old 9/6/13, 07:11 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by BluehazeGT
Dmichaels, thanks for putting this list together. I was just recently looking into this but couldn't find the backing plates ... until now. Thank you

Any thoughts on routing the intakes up to the grill area where the fogs are or scabbing up a mount near the lower grille? Not sure how much room there is to route the tubing. Reason i'm asking is because i have the fogs where the bezels mount and don't want to lose them.

As said already, another reason this forum is great!!
If you have fog lights in the lower corners, you could utilize the below. I thought about this too... decided to go with the fog bezels instead since I do not have fog lights in those locations now

Alternate ducting inlets

Also one note - there is some discussion on another forum about the bezel PN's listed in my original post regarding whether they have the flange off the back or not. Seems like they definitely have the duct inlet opening, but unclear about a rear flange for the ducting. I have an order in now, should get the parts next week and I can then personally confirm at that point.
Old 9/6/13, 07:17 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by GBStang13
Great info buddy, i was looking at that too. Perfect upgrade to eliminate brake fade and extend brake life. What i would do is invest in some nice drilled and slotted rotors along with some nice pads. the car would be a beast!
I'd recommend only slotted. Drilled have a lot of stress risers and in general aren't quite as robust as slotted.

A good set of pads makes an enormous difference too. I've been driving with my Pagic RS56's in the rear as daily driver pads and I got the fronts bedded nicely. Car stops much better with improved pedal feel as well. Seems like a good street setup so far
Old 9/6/13, 07:39 AM
Banned

Wow.. You're actually making me consider this for a Future mod. I do like this kit.
also saw this, I think you linked to it.

http://jlttruecoldair.com/ZenCart/in...roducts_id=567

would be difficult for me to cut up my California Special grilles and not destroy them though.
Old 9/6/13, 08:25 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by TheDivaDanielle
Wow.. You're actually making me consider this for a Future mod. I do like this kit.
also saw this, I think you linked to it.

http://jlttruecoldair.com/ZenCart/in...roducts_id=567

would be difficult for me to cut up my California Special grilles and not destroy them though.
Yes, I linked to the JLT parts

Happy to inspire new modifications!
Old 9/6/13, 12:38 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by dmichaels
If you have fog lights in the lower corners, you could utilize the below. I thought about this too... decided to go with the fog bezels instead since I do not have fog lights in those locations now

Alternate ducting inlets

Also one note - there is some discussion on another forum about the bezel PN's listed in my original post regarding whether they have the flange off the back or not. Seems like they definitely have the duct inlet opening, but unclear about a rear flange for the ducting. I have an order in now, should get the parts next week and I can then personally confirm at that point.
Yes, these would work for what I want. I think they are only 2.5" though according to the kit link that the Diva posted. Might work fine though with an expander or smaller tubing. I was thinking a Boss grille with the tubing mounted to it would be sweet. A little worried about the weight of the tubing destroying the grille though
Old 9/6/13, 06:02 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

The tubing is very light. And you could easily clamp 3" ducting onto 2.5" flange. Just take out the metal coil from the silicone tubing for a couple inches and you can clamp into smaller opening. I was 50/50 between the two options for inlets
Old 9/7/13, 01:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Really great idea. Pics?
Old 9/7/13, 08:03 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Uncle Jonfrey
Really great idea. Pics?
I will have pics on e installed. Waiting for the bezels to arrive. Probably install next weekend I am guessing
Old 9/8/13, 09:36 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
I had been thinking this might be a future upgrade but I was also looking at relocating the fog lights (Raxiom) and putting in a Modern Billet Black Retro Grille. Their lower grille is just an overlay so I wonder if you can just cut another hole through that. I've also thought about going with the Roush grilles since the flow better but didn't know if it made that much of a difference.
Old 9/18/13, 05:25 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Finished installation. Had to get some small extensions to attach to the bezels as they didn't come with an adequate attachment feature on the rear to connect the ducting to. I bought 3" diameter HVAC ducting and "shaped" it into a slight oval to better attach to the back of the bezels. Then bonded it with epoxy. It seems quite secure... I used 1500psi epoxy, hopefully it holds up without issue.

Now some pictures

Bezel with my added inlet extension
Pieced together brake cooling '13/'14 Mustang-photo-4-.jpg
Pieced together brake cooling '13/'14 Mustang-photo.jpg
Pieced together brake cooling '13/'14 Mustang-photo-1-.jpg
Pieced together brake cooling '13/'14 Mustang-photo-2-.jpg
Pieced together brake cooling '13/'14 Mustang-photo-3-.jpg

Installed front view

Pieced together brake cooling '13/'14 Mustang-photo-7-.jpg

Passenger side routing
Pieced together brake cooling '13/'14 Mustang-photo-5-.jpg
Pieced together brake cooling '13/'14 Mustang-photo-6-.jpg

Drivers side routing
Pieced together brake cooling '13/'14 Mustang-photo-8-.jpg
Pieced together brake cooling '13/'14 Mustang-photo-9-.jpg
Old 9/18/13, 05:28 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Additional pictures

More of the drivers side routing:
Pieced together brake cooling '13/'14 Mustang-photo-10-.jpg
Pieced together brake cooling '13/'14 Mustang-photo-12-.jpg

And one more of the passenger side routing
Pieced together brake cooling '13/'14 Mustang-photo-11-.jpg
Old 9/20/13, 01:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by dmichaels
Additional pictures

More of the drivers side routing:
Attachment 145802

I see that yourrubbing a bit on the tie rod. I can tellyou from experience that it will wear out the hose over time. The Duct tape you added won’t stop thewear. Ask me how I know J I realized the hose was a bit too long so itsagged. You can try cutting a little ata time until you get the right length.
Old 9/20/13, 02:36 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by devildog1679
I see that yourrubbing a bit on the tie rod. I can tellyou from experience that it will wear out the hose over time. The Duct tape you added won’t stop thewear. Ask me how I know J I realized the hose was a bit too long so itsagged. You can try cutting a little ata time until you get the right length.
Yes your correct. I am a bit worried about it and will need to make some adjustments... Thanks for the tip
Old 12/23/13, 06:04 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Little update - I got to test this out and the setup worked brilliantly.

Have had it on since ~Sept timeframe with some daily driving, and no issues at all. Granted I haven't driven the car much as the weather got colder, but its held together wonderfully and performed flawlessly during some track driving. Brakes stayed much cooler, although it's a bit of an apples to oranges comparison as the test track was more of a momentum track than the other one I went to where the brakes got roasted. Will have a bunch more testing done in 2014 though!!

Quick Reply: Pieced together brake cooling '13/'14 Mustang