Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Out of warranty what have you had to replace

Search this Thread

Old 5/18/10, 06:16 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 776 Likes on 567 Posts
Out of warranty what have you had to replace

Just a turn signal bulb here. I will be needing brake pads soon but thats regular maintenance. So what have you had to replace out of warranty and how many miles were on your car at that time. I'm thinking this will be a short thread.
Old 5/18/10, 08:27 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Tires at 45K due to the lefts being slashed. Punks. A couple of rear turn signal bulbs here myself, less than 45K miles. Brakes are coming up too, and we're at... uh... 52k I think now. So far, that's it, other than the standard oil change and such.
Old 5/18/10, 09:02 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nothing major - guess I should expect something in the 70k mile range though. I've been told I can still get a warranty plan but so far its still been a good car.

1) Taillight seal leaked water into trunk - around 40k miles
2) Throttle Body replaced - needed more than a cleaning, car would stall while on the freeway, RPM spike - btwn 40-50k miles
3) Freaking driver's seat switch failed, this annoyed me the most, its an expensive lil switch - 62k miles
Old 5/19/10, 02:47 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Just replaced alternator around 40k miles. Brakes are coming up soon. And something having to do with my ABS module is about to need replacing/fixing.
Old 5/19/10, 05:27 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
My big expense was the leak in the passenger side foot well , which I didn't discover it till after the car was out of warranty. First try cost me $610 and the second one they said they would split the cost with me and I paid $266. That was last year and month or so ago we got a lot of rain and guess what , it's still not fixed. I currently have about 67K miles on the car and will have had it for 6 years in November and other than that I haven't had any real problems , except ones related to all the modifications I've done ...
Old 5/19/10, 05:32 AM
FR500 Member

Both front LCA's due to loose ball joints. 20k mi.
Old 5/19/10, 07:31 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
38K Miles : AC Compressor (pre 60K mile warranty offer by Ford)

Nothing else major yet.

-danny
Old 5/19/10, 07:57 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
2005 with 100 000 km here. I got the extended gold warranty. No issues so far.
Old 5/19/10, 08:06 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 776 Likes on 567 Posts
52k here also. Jim you bought a warranty nothing will go wrong with your car untill that ends! At least thats how those things werk for me. lol
Old 5/19/10, 02:23 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
Jim you bought a warranty nothing will go wrong with your car untill that ends! At least thats how those things werk for me. lol
I figured either I don't buy it and I get a $5000 repair bill, or I do buy it and nothing goes wrong. It really was a toss up!

I still have 2 years or 40 000km to go though.
Old 5/19/10, 02:40 PM
Cobra Member

Nothing yet as my warranty expires on Saturday... but I do have 2 open items that are covered, but waiting for the parts to arrive (new top and Shaker 500).
Old 5/20/10, 10:26 AM
Team Mustang Source

I had to replace the 3rd brake light bulb

The rear passenger side brake hung up and went down to metal. I did a brake job all the way around at 60-65K when that happened.

I have a rattle coming from under the car when its cold...its from an accident I had almost 2 yrs ago.
Old 5/22/10, 04:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Nevermind. Already posted.

Last edited by fritzOSU03; 5/22/10 at 04:07 PM.
Old 5/23/10, 09:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

86K miles. So far:

1 turn signal bulb.
Rear brake pads (fronts were still at 70%+ at 70K miles. )
5 batteries
Fuel filter
Oil and filters
Fuel
Old 5/23/10, 10:50 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
32K here... Oil and filters, a cracked intake manifold covered under warranty, exhuast hangers removed per TSB under warranty and a rear sidemarker bulb.
Old 6/11/10, 08:23 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Just had to have my throttle body replaced today on my 2006 GT as well as the rear brake pads. My car has 38,000 miles on it (I work close to home and alot so I don't get out much! ). hmmm mileage warranty 36,000 miles, issues at 38k. Coincidence?
Old 6/13/10, 01:25 AM

Out of Warranty 05 GT man trans

Now I'm working on all the things that were wrong under warranty and the Stealerships did not get fixed properly.
If I had to do it again, with a car under warranty, I'd keep going back over and over until they fixed all the problems.

1, Lumbar: Fixed under warranty lasted about a year, broken again.
2. Outside door handles won't retract: They adjusted linkage rod clip, now I know the real problem...both handles have broken plastic inside..up to me now.
3. Dash vents don't always work: Don't know if it is an intermittant actuator motor or just binding of the vents in the housing itself.
4. Play in steering: three dealers could not find the problem. I found it after warranty expired...the shaft between steering wheel and rack has play inside the collapsible part of shaft. Part $300. when I have the money.
5. Rattle right end of dash...they never found it
6. Rear brake rotors warped...due to frozen cables... they replaced cables but did not fix the rotors.

Numerous other problems which were fixed under warranty, by the THIRD dealership I took the car to. Not very fond of Ford Dealerships. They make you beg them to do the work. Then only agree to do the work IF you agree to NOT take a loaner car. Then they say "no problem found" or "unable to verify complaint" even when I take them my copies of TSBs I have downloaded from the internet which relate EXACTLY to the problem I describe.

A Nice car with no major problems so far, yet too many minor problems due to either poor quality of parts or early designs of those specific parts.

Never buy an American car until at least the second, or better yet, the third year of a new bodystyle.

I like the car. I will never love this car.
50k miles on it so far.

I am a retired 63 yo former Honda car tech. Now I fix my Mustang stuff by myself...as warranty is expired. Had great fun fixing water leaks on the above car last summer. Now I know all about them. Mine were caused by a microburst storm which damaged the window weatherstrip retainer tape...so not Ford's fault. But now I have read and understand all the TSBs about water leaks in these cars.
Money is tight for me now. Some things will have to wait.
Can't wait till I have $ to fix the steering which has annoyed me more than anything else since I purchased this car.
I also had an 05 V-6 Coupe Auto. That car was built withing two weeks of this car in the same factory and had ZERO problems. Go figure ! It is the luck of the draw literally...having to do with the parts that go into these cars. Neither car had major trans or engine issues...so it is not the difference between a GT and a V-6 components. It is the luck of all the other little parts that went into these cars...or the day of the week they were built ?? LOL.

Last edited by S197GT05; 6/13/10 at 01:42 AM.
Old 6/13/10, 03:41 AM
Cobra R Member

My dealer is terrible. They ignore TSBs and you have beg them to fix anything; I'll never buy from them again.

Btw, see if you have an A-arm brace installed. If not, get one. It will cut down on internal noise (rattles) and keep the car more stable. You'll feel and hear the difference.

Last edited by WaltM; 6/13/10 at 03:43 AM.
Old 6/13/10, 09:48 PM
Founding MOTM
Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Under warranty:
Aux port
Fog light lenses(they cracked)
Reattach driver side scoop.
Reinsert headliner on driver side
Rear brake pads/rotors/driver side caliper for sticking

Not covered under warranty over the life of the vehicle:
Valve stems(cracked)
Battery
Tires at 50k(due to blowout, figured just get a new set)

My Shaker500 took a crap and won't play CD's anymore, but since my dealer apparently can't/won't give me a rental until 24 hours AFTER they've had my car(when they won't even need it that long) and I absolutely need a vehicle at all times, I said screw it and just use my iPod 24/7 now.

Now that i'm making this list, i'm starting to think my CS has something against me. A bunch of that stuff is driver side.
Old 7/12/10, 10:15 AM

under warranty....
1 battery
1 set tires (at 25000 miles)
1 fuel tank (TSB for refilling and after replacement, caused my exhaust to rattle)
1 Shaker 500 radio (TSB)

Out of Warranty...
1 battery (Replaced with Optima battery after same failure as the 1st battery)
Water leak around 3rd brake light into trunk
various bulbs
Vinal inserts on BOTH door panels (vinal peeled off the doors the day after the 45th Anniversery show in Birmingham
Both Cam Shaft Sensors
and NOW a rear pinion seal that they missed after a (In)complete Multi Point Inspection Service (Possibly more than one judging by the amount of lube on the bottom of the car)

Quick Reply: Out of warranty what have you had to replace