Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Winter storage

Search this Thread

Old 11/28/14, 09:55 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by VidPro
Maybe it's posted here somewhere here but can someone explain how to pour Stabil with a capless filler before I smash something?
Read in the manual where the special funnel is located in your trunk to pour the stabil in with. I bought a aftermarket one that worked ok but was easy to get stuck by the small spring loaded flap that the gas pump pushes open when fueling. I think the one that comes with the car is located in the wheel well next to the air compressor and fix a flat (if you have a track pack GT).
Old 11/28/14, 01:23 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts
Thanks for the info. I have a premium GT. I'm sure there has to be one in there. Glad I'm finding out now. If I was stupid enough to run out of gas I would have had a nutty on the side of the road.
Old 12/3/14, 12:03 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Well my car is covered and it now has stabilizer in the tank. I'm still unsure of the don't start rule since manual says otherwise.
Old 12/3/14, 12:52 PM
Cobra Member

Location: NJ. Waiting for our Gov. to be held accountable for his actions>>>Jersey Broke
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
You can believe what you want but I start my car every 2 weeks and let it run untill it gets to full operating temp and even pull it out of the garage and then back it back in if weather permits. Of coarse this is so I can look at it and tell myself how good it looks...Lol
IMO the worst thing for a car that has been driven is to let them sit. Been doing this for many years and when the time comes to drive it theres never a problem. All you need is a battery tender and some fuel stalbilizer and the famous car cover.
O-well>>>enjoy you car what ever way you want. Thats the bueaty of it!!!
Old 12/3/14, 03:04 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Maybe it's posted here somewhere here but can someone explain how to pour Stabil with a capless filler before I smash something?
Not positive, but I thought there was something by the spare tire that was to be used for adding fuel or stabilizer to the tank....
Old 12/3/14, 08:22 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by GrnT
Condensation left in the exhaust can be bad for your pipes.
#1 - New systems are stainless steel. They don't rot like 50 years ago.
Originally Posted by boss man
You can believe what you want but I start my car every 2 weeks and let it run untill it gets to full operating temp and even pull it out of the garage and then back it back in if weather permits. Of coarse this is so I can look at it and tell myself how good it looks...Lol
IMO the worst thing for a car that has been driven is to let them sit. Been doing this for many years and when the time comes to drive it theres never a problem. All you need is a battery tender and some fuel stalbilizer and the famous car cover.
#2 - I agree. Though not as frequent as you, I start mine up every 4-5 weeks (6 weeks the battery is weak - no battery tender). My issue is making sure seals get lubricated. Too many vehicles sit too long and then get leaks in rear main, or front seal, trans, or diff & axle seals (all pain in the butt!). Not to mention the A/C system.

So I fire mine up, turn the A/C on for about 5 mins of idling and then turn off (so the fan will stop in a minute), then drive out the gravel road to the highway in 1st, with some revs up to 2 & 3k. This is so I can bring it up to temp completely to minimize condensation. By the time I'm back in my driveway and idle for a few minutes longer, the fan comes on by itself, indicating a well heated block (and exhaust). Back in the garage.

This is my 7th winter with #907... factory battery... and still not one leak on my garage floor. Car runs super, Blackstone Oil report is excellent.

Oh - and my 83 F150 has 254k on it - and yours doesn't!

Last edited by cdynaco; 12/3/14 at 08:24 PM.
Old 12/4/14, 07:09 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Originally Posted by JCStang
Not positive, but I thought there was something by the spare tire that was to be used for adding fuel or stabilizer to the tank....

There is and I found it. Thanks!
Old 12/4/14, 07:13 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Originally Posted by boss man

Until I got my 2014 I had a 2000 GT since 2002 and I always started it and ran it to temp about as much as you. sometimes I'd let it go a bit longer to three or four weeks. Never had an issue or at least an issue that I could relate to the winter start-ups.
Old 12/24/14, 09:38 AM

Fuel treatment, fill tank, battery tender, detailed, covered and stored in heated shop. Never started until spring. Do the same with other cars and never had an issue.
Old 12/25/14, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by SoDakMac
Fuel treatment, fill tank, battery tender, detailed, covered and stored in heated shop. Never started until spring. Do the same with other cars and never had an issue.
Right on! Do you park on anything during the winter for flat spotting or not worry about it?
Old 12/27/14, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Brewmaster23
Right on! Do you park on anything during the winter for flat spotting or not worry about it?
Use to wonder about that but I have never had an issue with my cars or boat tires developing flat spots.
Old 12/27/14, 02:49 PM
Cobra Member

Location: NJ. Waiting for our Gov. to be held accountable for his actions>>>Jersey Broke
Originally Posted by Brewmaster23
I dont think that happens anymore with todays rubber. But if you feel that you may get a flat spot. You can always apply (flat spot remover). Pull the car out of the garage and warm the engine up to operating temp. Push in the clutch and rev it up to 5000rpm and dump the clutch. When smoke is gone the tires will no longer have flat spots. you only need to apply once at the begining of the season

This also works for the nosey neighbor problem..
Old 12/27/14, 03:11 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
You usually don't have to worry about flat spots. Flat spots usually take much longer to develop that the typical 6 months or so that many cars sit for the winter. People that I have talked experiences problems after storing the car for 10 or 12+ months.
Some people prefer to store their cars on wood floors since the wood is softer on the tires. I have stored my cars on both wood and concrete floors over the years and never noticed any difference and never had any problem with flat spotting.
Old 12/31/14, 06:08 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Originally Posted by SoDakMac
I envy you guys who have garages. This will be my first stored car where I'm not starting it every couple of weeks. I have the battery on a tender in my basement, car covered and I'm watching the days go by.
Old 12/31/14, 09:24 AM

I envy you guys who have garages. This will be my first stored car where I'm not starting it every couple of weeks. I have the battery on a tender in my basement, car covered and I'm watching the days go by.
Yeah, I am a lucky guy. We built our first house this year. The wife designed the house I designed the garage. It is 40’ x 60’ with 12.5’ ceiling, floor heat. Since it is a walk out lot we also have a single car garage under the garage where I can store all the rakes, lawn mowers and other stuff. I only had to wait 40 years to get the garage of my dreams.
Old 12/31/14, 09:41 AM
Legacy Tms Member

This is not helping.

We will be looking for another house soon and one of my wishes is to have a garage. I'm not sure that will happen but I'm going to do my best.
Old 1/1/15, 05:52 AM
Cobra Member

Started mine up yesterday. was 24 outside air. car ran for 40 minutes and only reached 140 water temp. Had no choice but to take a short and slow drive around the block. I still had condinsation coming from the exhaust tips. rode the gears some to bring up temps to 180. Let it idle again for five minutes and backed into the garage. Boy did I just want to go for a sprited cruise. But that = TROUBLE. Summer tires on a COLD day is N/G.

Happy New Year To All!!