Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Opportunity to join the club - Any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 1/9/15, 03:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Opportunity to join the club - Any advice?

I'm currently working with a dealership to trade my 13 FX4 with appearance package for a used cheap truck and more importantly a 2013 Boss 302 with the Recaro option in SBY. The Boss only has 5,100 kms and they are asking $42k (windows sticker is hair under $51k CDN).

I have always wanted one, and at this price point I'm hoping to get a deal done.

Is there anything I should know, look for, or ask about the vehicle other than a standard 'kick of the tires' review?

The plan for the Boss is to be my DD on days without precipitation and not at all during winter months.

Fingers crossed I can post in the forum next month as a proud owner and not just a guy that looks at your car pics and drools 😊
Old 1/9/15, 04:06 PM
GT Member

Not much to look for, just make sure you get a good feel for the trans, make sure its not grinding or locking up.
Old 1/9/15, 04:36 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by tek302
Not much to look for, just make sure you get a good feel for the trans, make sure its not grinding or locking up.
That was my recommendation as well. Check to make sure no one swapped the intake manifold with a stick GT one. Listen for rear end whine/clunk, front LCA squeak or clunk, and ask them if the previous owner included the Boss 302 owners package with the trade in (and Red Key for that matter).
Old 1/9/15, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by laserred38
That was my recommendation as well. Check to make sure no one swapped the intake manifold with a stick GT one. Listen for rear end whine/clunk, front LCA squeak or clunk, and ask them if the previous owner included the Boss 302 owners package with the trade in (and Red Key for that matter).
Thanks for the advice. So there should be 1 red key (what's the purpose of that?) and 1 black?
Old 1/9/15, 06:17 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by bwlandu
Thanks for the advice. So there should be 1 red key (what's the purpose of that?) and 1 black?
The extra key is for the TracKey tune that can be paired to a key, I don't believe it has to be specifically the red one.
Old 1/10/15, 03:06 PM

What all should be included in the owners package? I will have the dealer confirm for me.
Thanks.
Old 1/10/15, 04:31 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My recent experience with a Ford Dealership.

Recently bought a 2007 GT having seen it on the dealer's website. I did not go to the dealership to see the GT as it is 4.5 hours away and I did not want to traverse the winter highways. The dealer's internet page showed a clean non-damage GT. After a bit of haggling arranged to buy it. Had the vehicle delivered to the next town. Drove it home on a Friday and the next day it would not start.

After trying the new battery route determined the fault was the starter motor. The dealership paid for the repairs and parts after they read my complaint letter. While cleaning the exterior of the GT a few days later noticed that besides 6 little areas requiring touch up paint there were also two small dents. These two dents and touch-ups I had done at the cost of $190.00. Even the Ford Airbox filter had to been changed out and roughly 2 inches of dry leaves and other crap removed.

My advice having been through this is to open the hood and check the engine out and physically check items that you can see with the naked eye. Ask the dealership for a copy of their mechanical report. The next step would be to go over the exterior of the vehicle for any damage that should be repaired before you sign on the dotted line and pay for the vehicle.

I have had the GT checked over since and everything runs fine.
Attached Thumbnails Opportunity to join the club - Any advice?-img_1024.jpg   Opportunity to join the club - Any advice?-img_1027.jpg   Opportunity to join the club - Any advice?-img_1033.jpg   Opportunity to join the club - Any advice?-img_1034.jpg   Opportunity to join the club - Any advice?-img_1047.jpg  

Last edited by poldrv; 1/10/15 at 04:32 PM.
Old 1/10/15, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by poldrv
Recently bought a 2007 GT having seen it on the dealer's website. I did not go to the dealership to see the GT as it is 4.5 hours away and I did not want to traverse the winter highways. The dealer's internet page showed a clean non-damage GT. After a bit of haggling arranged to buy it. Had the vehicle delivered to the next town. Drove it home on a Friday and the next day it would not start.

After trying the new battery route determined the fault was the starter motor. The dealership paid for the repairs and parts after they read my complaint letter. While cleaning the exterior of the GT a few days later noticed that besides 6 little areas requiring touch up paint there were also two small dents. These two dents and touch-ups I had done at the cost of $190.00. Even the Ford Airbox filter had to been changed out and roughly 2 inches of dry leaves and other crap removed.

My advice having been through this is to open the hood and check the engine out and physically check items that you can see with the naked eye. Ask the dealership for a copy of their mechanical report. The next step would be to go over the exterior of the vehicle for any damage that should be repaired before you sign on the dotted line and pay for the vehicle.

I have had the GT checked over since and everything runs fine.
Appreciate the advice and thanks for sharing your story.