Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Driver Side Pony Projector Problems

Search this Thread

Old 8/20/13, 08:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just noticed this same issue tonight with both mirrors. While searching the web I came across this thread. Will be setting an appointment with the dealer in the AM.
Old 8/22/13, 09:28 AM
DRB
Bullitt Member

No problem with my passenger side projector, but the driver's side is disintegrating pretty quickly. I was at my dealer's for a tire rotation this morning and they took photos to send to Ford for authorization to replace the mirror assembly.
Old 9/9/13, 09:02 PM

My driver side mirror is doing the same thing as well. I guess im gonna have to take her in.
Old 9/19/13, 07:07 AM
DRB
Bullitt Member

Getting the driver's side light replaced under warranty this Tuesday.
Old 10/1/13, 10:27 AM
DRB
Bullitt Member

The dealer, Apple Ford, fixed this right up last week. I've had nothing but good experiences with their service department so far.

They said that when this problem was first occurring the repair involved replacing the entire mirror assembly other than the cover, but now the projector is treated as a replaceable part. I dunno, that's just what I was told.
Old 10/1/13, 10:52 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
sadly last night i saw mine too started disintegration... anybody who replaced this know if they are replace the same part or getting some better opticals.
Old 10/13/13, 07:49 AM

Lines and dots starting appearing on my driver side pony projector again. I will wait a month or two until it gets worse and will take it to the dealer to replace it again... Looks like they didn't spend any time to make this part better at all.
Old 10/13/13, 06:01 PM
DRB
Bullitt Member

One wonders what the actual failure rate is.
Old 10/15/13, 03:07 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
P/s has a "spear" running through it now. Waiting on dealer call back. D/s is starting to speckle.
Old 11/2/13, 01:06 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 390 Likes on 287 Posts
Yeah, I'm on the second set now and, both look as bad as the first ones after onle a few months. Hopefully the third times the charm.
Old 11/3/13, 04:00 PM

Reading the thread, it happened

Originally Posted by wheelman
P/s has a "spear" running through it now. Waiting on dealer call back. D/s is starting to speckle.
Just noticed spears going through mine on d/s. Washed it yesterday and it was a cool night. Maybe it cracked
Old 11/3/13, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by PSUpony
Just noticed spears going through mine on d/s. Washed it yesterday and it was a cool night. Maybe it cracked
I'm living in Florida. It's still pretty warm, but both of my projectors started going bad in summer... so it's probably not weather related. Maybe it's car wash? I'm usually do carwash, rarely washing by hands.

How do you wash your cars guys?
Old 11/4/13, 01:53 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by zheludov
I'm living in Florida. It's still pretty warm, but both of my projectors started going bad in summer... so it's probably not weather related. Maybe it's car wash? I'm usually do carwash, rarely washing by hands.

How do you wash your cars guys?
I wash mine by hand, so is not the car wash. Maybe water in general.....
Old 11/5/13, 02:26 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

After my first p/s replacement, I made sure not to spray the mirrors directly with a hose and was extra careful drying them, but still got the "spear" on the p/s side and have growing speckles on the d/s. If the problem isn't fixed by the time my warranty runs out, I want non-projector mirrors b/c I'm not ponying up the fix cost out-of-pocket for the rest of my ownership.
Old 11/6/13, 02:17 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by wheelman
After my first p/s replacement, I made sure not to spray the mirrors directly with a hose and was extra careful drying them, but still got the "spear" on the p/s side and have growing speckles on the d/s. If the problem isn't fixed by the time my warranty runs out, I want non-projector mirrors b/c I'm not ponying up the fix cost out-of-pocket for the rest of my ownership.
Two great minds think alike. I told the Wifey the same thing the other day.
Old 11/6/13, 08:36 PM
GT Member

had to replace drivers side lens
Old 11/13/13, 01:54 PM

Hey guys,

2014 Mustang GT here, and just had the same thing happen on the passenger side. Was dusting the car with a California Mop, lightly passed it under the mirror, and the projector piece falls loose.

I immediately call the dealer and they tell me to bring it in. Long story short, after 2 hours of waiting, they come back and tell me someone tried to steal it. This car is garage kept and even at work I have direct sight of it at all times. It seems like they didn't want to change it, and then offered to put silicone to hold it in place. The mechanic who put it in was apparently clumsy and got glue on the lens and essentially ruined the piece that they should of replaced under warranty in the first place.

After searching for a replacement myself, I came across this thread, and I see other Ford dealerships are not giving much of a problem and replacing them under warranty. I've made two trips to this dealer that I bought the car from, and they just won't budge with their assumption that someone "tried to steal it." There are no signs whatsoever of theft. Just because the clip was broken, they automatically say someone tried to take it. Just a load of bull.

I'm really unsatisfied with Ford at this point. So much fuss over a part that is clearly faulty.

Last edited by tr24; 11/13/13 at 01:55 PM.
Old 11/15/13, 06:57 AM

Anyone have any ideas on how I can go about getting this taken care of?
Old 11/17/13, 12:18 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by tr24
Anyone have any ideas on how I can go about getting this taken care of?
If the pony projected looks anything like the pics posted in the thread, then it's probably a warranty issue and not from theft. Try going to another dealer and see what they say. If that doesn't work and you still feel strongly it is a warranty issue, you can always contact Deysha here and she will get a case opened up. When that happens, the dealers tend to do their jobs a little better.
Old 11/18/13, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by denlem
If the pony projected looks anything like the pics posted in the thread, then it's probably a warranty issue and not from theft. Try going to another dealer and see what they say. If that doesn't work and you still feel strongly it is a warranty issue, you can always contact Deysha here and she will get a case opened up. When that happens, the dealers tend to do their jobs a little better.
Thanks for the advice. I would go to another dealer, but what would they say about the silicone that the other dealer put on it?

Quick Reply: Driver Side Pony Projector Problems