Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Steeda Tech Series - The Best Supercharger for Your Mustang is…

Search this Thread

Old 8/28/14, 01:56 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Stage_3
That's three of us.
Originally Posted by Blown CS
I 4th that.
Originally Posted by BBM3
Thanks for making me have to go back and start over.
I was all set to install an Eaton gen 6 TVS blower this winter.

Eaton claims... "All TVS superchargers have a 2.4 pressure ratio capability and a thermal efficiency that exceeds 70 percent....."
EATON Website

Please help me understand why I should pass on the Magnuson kit in favor of a Vortech kit. The Magnuson kit looks so easy to install and easy to remove back to stock other than 2-1 inch holes that no one will ever see in the plastic fender liners.

Thanks,
-BB
Originally Posted by Deerslayer
BBM3, the Vortech is also easy to install and you could go back to stock a LOT easier than with any twin screw. Cant speak for twin screws, but we are SUPER pleased with the choice we went with. The car drives like stock when just normal driving but has an enormous response when you get into the throttle. Being in CO, you wouldnt have to worry like a lot do of heat soak on roots or twin screws, but we are in Austin TX and in the summer, the TVS def see some heat. Not a worry with our Vortech. Being at altitude, you are going to want to pulley down with which EVER SC you choose. It is super easy to do with a Centri, make sure what ever kit you get, you can pulley down without a full add on kit or something.
Originally Posted by Deerslayer
On those instructions, they are done on an '11. You will not have to do ANY of the bumper cutting like they do in those instructions. 13 and 14s are MUCH easier. You will only cut things that do not show at all like the fan electric shroud corners and you reroute coolant hosing which is done with any SC install. No grinding covers for this centri install. You can still use your stock air box if you want and it will look more stocklike. We use a JLT performance intake. Everything comes in the kit. Check pricing with TeamBeefcakeRacing.com Terry pretty much has the best prices out there and his customer service is second to none.

First I will state that a TVS is a roots type blower, Eaton makes the TVS blower which is actually the coolest PD blower out there (IAT wise). At the 2.3 size its also the most efficient PD blower out there. So, TVS = Roots.

Power doesn't lie though, the centri has a much higher HP capability than the TVS however, it will cost quite a bit to get there... a new bottom end is one of them as well as a fuel system. I can get anyone in here over 600hp on a roush blower for around 6k, we've done it multiple times and the best thing is... once you slap it on you don't have to worry about it for 100k miles.

Lets talk about TQ and HP, the centri makes the most HP at the higher RPMs. 90 percent of buyers who buy a supercharger run their car on the street and occasionally at the strip. Tell me how often you'll be at max RPM's on the street? Roots blowers make a lot of their power in the mid range... where you'll be most when street driving.... With that being said, a centri is more taxing on the fuel system, we've safely ran 630 at the wheels on a PD using 47lbs injectors however, a PD blower will be more taxing on the bottom end because of the constant TQ.

As far as putting your car back to stock...lol. Its MUCH harder to put a car back to stock from a centri blower. It takes about 3 hours to put your car back to stock from a PD blower and there is zero cutting required of any coolant hoses..... NONE. The FEAD system is held on by 3 bolts as well.

We're a Roush Master Dealer as well as a large dealer for Paxton and Vortech. We've/ I've installed plenty of superchargers, there's a reason the PD blower is more, the quality is unmistakable. Theres a reason companies offer warranties on these kits.

Also like to point out that Roush is the company that builds and assembles all the installation kits (intake manifold, wiring harness, H/E and hosing) for Whipple, VMP, FRPP and Roush kits. They're all made, fabricated and assembled by Roush...... or at least contracted out to a machining company.

Hope this helps anyone out there on the fence, there is some info on here that's a bit misleading. Anyone have questions just let me know, BBM3 if you'd like we can price out a kit for you and if you're close to us we can also do the install.

Cheers!

Jay
Hypermotive/ Owner
Old 8/28/14, 02:06 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I love me some whipple
Old 8/28/14, 02:50 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jay@Hypermotive
First I will state that a TVS is a roots type blower, Eaton makes the TVS blower which is actually the coolest PD blower out there (IAT wise). At the 2.3 size its also the most efficient PD blower out there. So, TVS = Roots.

Power doesn't lie though, the centri has a much higher HP capability than the TVS however, it will cost quite a bit to get there... a new bottom end is one of them as well as a fuel system. I can get anyone in here over 600hp on a roush blower for around 6k, we've done it multiple times and the best thing is... once you slap it on you don't have to worry about it for 100k miles.

Lets talk about TQ and HP, the centri makes the most HP at the higher RPMs. 90 percent of buyers who buy a supercharger run their car on the street and occasionally at the strip. Tell me how often you'll be at max RPM's on the street? Roots blowers make a lot of their power in the mid range... where you'll be most when street driving.... With that being said, a centri is more taxing on the fuel system, we've safely ran 630 at the wheels on a PD using 47lbs injectors however, a PD blower will be more taxing on the bottom end because of the constant TQ.
Jay,

Very well put! I did A LOT of research before going TVS and while I don't claim to know as much as you or some others my research convinced me on the Roush for 99.99% street use.

Last edited by GT50GO; 8/28/14 at 02:59 AM.
Old 8/28/14, 04:50 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
First I will state that a TVS is a roots type blower, Eaton makes the TVS blower which is actually the coolest PD blower out there (IAT wise). At the 2.3 size its also the most efficient PD blower out there. So, TVS = Roots. Power doesn't lie though, the centri has a much higher HP capability than the TVS however, it will cost quite a bit to get there... a new bottom end is one of them as well as a fuel system. I can get anyone in here over 600hp on a roush blower for around 6k, we've done it multiple times and the best thing is... once you slap it on you don't have to worry about it for 100k miles. Lets talk about TQ and HP, the centri makes the most HP at the higher RPMs. 90 percent of buyers who buy a supercharger run their car on the street and occasionally at the strip. Tell me how often you'll be at max RPM's on the street? Roots blowers make a lot of their power in the mid range... where you'll be most when street driving.... With that being said, a centri is more taxing on the fuel system, we've safely ran 630 at the wheels on a PD using 47lbs injectors however, a PD blower will be more taxing on the bottom end because of the constant TQ. As far as putting your car back to stock...lol. Its MUCH harder to put a car back to stock from a centri blower. It takes about 3 hours to put your car back to stock from a PD blower and there is zero cutting required of any coolant hoses..... NONE. The FEAD system is held on by 3 bolts as well. We're a Roush Master Dealer as well as a large dealer for Paxton and Vortech. We've/ I've installed plenty of superchargers, there's a reason the PD blower is more, the quality is unmistakable. Theres a reason companies offer warranties on these kits. Also like to point out that Roush is the company that builds and assembles all the installation kits (intake manifold, wiring harness, H/E and hosing) for Whipple, VMP, FRPP and Roush kits. They're all made, fabricated and assembled by Roush...... or at least contracted out to a machining company. Hope this helps anyone out there on the fence, there is some info on here that's a bit misleading. Anyone have questions just let me know, BBM3 if you'd like we can price out a kit for you and if you're close to us we can also do the install. Cheers! Jay Hypermotive/ Owner
Jay, what, no love for magnuson? Hehe

On a serious note tho, doesn't magnuson make their own everything? That's why you didn't mention them in the kits they made? I know eaton also makes their TVS.

But yes, PD/roots all the way!
Old 8/28/14, 06:11 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by FromZto5
Jay, what, no love for magnuson? Hehe

On a serious note tho, doesn't magnuson make their own everything? That's why you didn't mention them in the kits they made? I know eaton also makes their TVS.

But yes, PD/roots all the way!
That's correct, but I'm not 100% sure since I don't like the intake lnlet on these kits lol

The head unit is made by Eaton though.
Old 8/28/14, 07:01 AM
I Have No Life

That's correct, but I'm not 100% sure since I don't like the intake lnlet on these kits lol

The head unit is made by Eaton though.
Yeah the inlet is limited in size due to the "pinch" caused by the location of the drive pulley. When I talked to the Maggie engineers directly, they wanted direct flow from intake to the blower, plus the ability to use the factory box (but who used that? lol). So yes, I'm "limited" to my power due to the amount of air it can take it, even if I can spin that pulley to heaven's content. But that's fine for now for me... the Maggie is truly made for the "stock engine", and for those who want streetable, honest, and usable power. Those who want big #'s need to look elsewhere

So Jay, when you sending me a Whipple? hahahahaha
Old 8/28/14, 09:57 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm getting ready to purchase a VMP Gen II kit from Jay. I'll try to take as many pics of the install as I can. I chose VMP, because my car sees alot of street driving as it's mostly my primary means of transportation and occasional track time. I wanted more torque than the centrifigal superchargers produce, so picking the VMP kit was a no brainer. Reason why I didnt pick the magnuson, is because of the inlet. I've driven the mustang they used for the production kits and it produces nice power, it just doesnt look right to me lol.
Old 8/28/14, 10:06 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by swervo
I'm getting ready to purchase a VMP Gen II kit from Jay. I'll try to take as many pics of the install as I can. I chose VMP, because my car sees alot of street driving as it's mostly my primary means of transportation and occasional track time. I wanted more torque than the centrifigal superchargers produce, so picking the VMP kit was a no brainer. Reason why I didnt pick the magnuson, is because of the inlet. I've driven the mustang they used for the production kits and it produces nice power, it just doesnt look right to me lol.
Hey, beauty is in the eye of the beholder But yes, the inlet is restrictive. Perhaps on purpose to limit power? who knows.

But congrats on the VMP! I can't believe it took you this long to cross over to the dark side! About time, Dewayne
Old 8/28/14, 10:19 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey, beauty is in the eye of the beholder But yes, the inlet is restrictive. Perhaps on purpose to limit power? who knows.

But congrats on the VMP! I can't believe it took you this long to cross over to the dark side! About time, Dewayne
It took me a while because I was in Japan for 2 years and funding went to other things, ie suspension.
Old 8/29/14, 09:37 PM
GT Member

TJ and Jay,
Thanks for your input.
I do not believe there is a single forced air solution for me. Whatever I choose will be a tradeoff.

TJ,
Proclaiming in your OP that a centrifugal type is the best for my Mustang is a stretch.
What is best entirely depends on what the end user desires.

Jay,
I understand your comparison describing TVS as a Roots type blower. The similarities of the basic design are undeniable.
When I think Roots I think old school 2 or 3 lobe non inter-cooled inefficient heat pumps that rest between dual quads and a big block pushrod V-8.
TVS is a whole different story. Far more efficient.
Old 8/29/14, 09:39 PM
I Have No Life

TJ and Jay,
Thanks for your input.
I do not believe there is a single forced air solution for me. Whatever I choose will be a tradeoff.

TJ,
Proclaiming in your OP that a centrifugal type is the best for my Mustang is a stretch.
What is best entirely depends on what the end user desires.

Jay,
I understand your comparison describing TVS as a Roots type blower. The similarities of the basic design are undeniable.
When I think Roots I think old school 2 or 3 lobe non inter-cooled inefficient heat pumps that rest between dual quads and a big block pushrod V-8.
TVS is a whole different story. Far more efficient.
And so quiet!!! Blessing and curse!
Old 8/29/14, 09:46 PM
GT Member

And so quiet!!! Blessing and curse!
Wait a tick....
Don't you have a loud a$$ exhaust system?
Old 8/29/14, 09:52 PM
I Have No Life

Wait a tick.... Don't you have a loud a$$ exhaust system?
Lol. It's actually quieter than my borla s. It's all about the dynamic range. Quieter at idle and normal cruise, but louder at full wail. In other words more versatile.

When I said quiet, I meant the TVS's don't "whine" any more like they used to. The whipples have this loud whine. I wished my Maggie had "some" whine. But no . The new TVS's are sooooo quiet. Total sleeper (good thing)
Old 8/29/14, 10:36 PM
GT Member

Lol. It's actually quieter than my borla s. It's all about the dynamic range. Quieter at idle and normal cruise, but louder at full wail. In other words more versatile.

When I said quiet, I meant the TVS's don't "whine" any more like they used to. The whipples have this loud whine. I wished my Maggie had "some" whine. But no . The new TVS's are sooooo quiet. Total sleeper (good thing)
I know that whine. It is cool. As is a hissing turbo blow-off valve to a 12 year old.
Old 9/1/14, 01:24 AM
Bullitt Member

Love my TVS. Very quiet, driveability is PERFECT, and the install didn't require much cutting at all.
Old 9/1/14, 05:17 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by Supra
Love my TVS. Very quiet, driveability is PERFECT, and the install didn't require much cutting at all.
I love my TVS too, but don't you agree maybe "some" whine would have been nice? I mean ours is utterly quiet lol