Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Does a aftermarket tune get rid of the drive by wire throttle lag

Search this Thread

Old 4/25/15, 05:38 PM
GT Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Does a aftermarket tune get rid of the drive by wire throttle lag

Short story: Got stuck behind slow moving 18 wheeler on freeway, changed lanes to pass and had to floor it to get the automatic to kick down, took maybe a couple of milliseconds but it was enough to make me question my safety......not to mention the **** throttle lag (rant over).

Will an aftermarket tune get rid of the throttle lag besides freeing up some horsepower and torque?
Old 4/25/15, 06:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Sure does! With our tunes, we work really hard and spend a ton of time on drivability and part throttle driving.

Check us out! redliners.com

Cheers,-Matt
Old 4/25/15, 07:54 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
1) maybe you should've just waited if you had that much concern over a couple ms. Let's be real here... If any slight issue with getting the car to accelerate made the situation unsafe then you shouldn't have done it to begin with.

2) yes a tune can do that, not that it always will. My Redliners race tune completely eliminates throttle lag be does affect driveability. Their performance tune was a bit tamer but still an improvement.
Old 4/25/15, 08:15 PM
Cobra Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
I have considered getting a tune for that very reason, but didn't want to risk having my warranty voided. Meanwhile, I have learned to factor in the throttle lag when I need to pass on two lane roads. It's a seat-of-the-pants thing I suppose. The lag is especially annoying on an autocross course.
Old 4/25/15, 10:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I've had the Procal tune and now the BAMA tune installed on my '14 GT, and I'd say that- yes- a tune will eliminate most of the lag.

However, I would also say the JMS PedalMax (which I also have installed) will do a better job than a tune. Even with the tunes installed, disabling the PedalMax brings back some of the lag.

Long story short, if getting rid of the lag is your main objective the PedalMax (or a similar device) will do the job best.
Old 4/25/15, 10:42 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
I have zero doubt that my Redliners race tune puts the throttle response on par to the pedalmax, or any similar products. There is zero lag with my tune.
Old 4/26/15, 08:26 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Varilux
I've had the Procal tune and now the BAMA tune installed on my '14 GT, and I'd say that- yes- a tune will eliminate most of the lag.

However, I would also say the JMS PedalMax (which I also have installed) will do a better job than a tune. Even with the tunes installed, disabling the PedalMax brings back some of the lag.

Long story short, if getting rid of the lag is your main objective the PedalMax (or a similar device) will do the job best.
I read parts of a long thread on PedalMax on this forum. It sounds like this is a device that would not be seen and recorded by your car's electronic systems, so if you uninstalled it before taking your car in for service there would be no way for anyone to know it had ever been installed. If that is correct it would eliminate worries about a warranty being voided.
Old 4/26/15, 10:29 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
It's not lag that pedal max fixes. All it does is introduce a scalar for pedal input so, it opens the throttle further for a given amount of pedal input. This feels like less lag but is really just more fuel down the hole.

The stock tune is pretty awful for this, especially the automatic, which feels swaddled in marshmallow creme most of the time. I expect this is a compromise to placate most morons out there who can't handle aggressive throttle settings and tuning and are buying the car more to show off than drive.

Procal tune destroys the lag, and the rev hang so evident in the stock tune. Makes the car feel like 400+ horses should around town.
Old 4/26/15, 12:55 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 5LHO
It's not lag that pedal max fixes. All it does is introduce a scalar for pedal input so, it opens the throttle further for a given amount of pedal input. This feels like less lag but is really just more fuel down the hole.
From what you are saying it sounds like if you floor it off the line PedalMax will have no effect. You can't get more than 100%. If I floor it off the line there is a definite lag before I actually get full throttle.
Old 4/26/15, 03:11 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
People have to accept this engine for what it is, too, a fairly highly strung, relatively small displacement DOHC V8. This isn't a 428 wedge. Then again, You'd blow the 428 to smithereens trying to get it to rev to 7000 rpm.

This motor, being high hp/litre and high revving loves gears and smooth throttle application.
Old 4/26/15, 07:57 PM
GT Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 5LHO
People have to accept this engine for what it is, too, a fairly highly strung, relatively small displacement DOHC V8. This isn't a 428 wedge. Then again, You'd blow the 428 to smithereens trying to get it to rev to 7000 rpm.

This motor, being high hp/litre and high revving loves gears and smooth throttle application.
5LHO what is rev hang?

And with 54500 miles on the odometer I don't have to worry about voiding the 3 year/36000 mile warranty.......just a tune that eliminates throttle lag and has the automatic shifting like a car with 420 horsepower should.
Old 4/26/15, 11:03 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
A couple of weeks ago I had my Track key installed. WOW WOW what a Difference. Throttle lag ( yep No Lag ) its like driving a race car. The car is a total beast. So I would imagine some tunes would do the same thing.
Old 4/29/15, 05:44 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Calibrate your right foot to compensate for the lag. Get to know how the car will behave and anticipate...this is cheaper and doesn't void the warranty.

I'm not selling calibrated right feet so I've got no financial interest in this advice.
Old 2/15/16, 01:54 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 13_ImpactBlue_GT
Short story: Got stuck behind slow moving 18 wheeler on freeway, changed lanes to pass and had to floor it to get the automatic to kick down, took maybe a couple of milliseconds but it was enough to make me question my safety......not to mention the **** throttle lag (rant over).

Will an aftermarket tune get rid of the throttle lag besides freeing up some horsepower and torque?
If it's throttle response you're complaining about, (a) put it in Sport Mode or (b) get a custom tune to beef up your D drive mode's throttle response, If it's throttle response and throttle lag, do ((a) or (b)) + (c) put traction control in AdvanceTrac Sport Mode and the throttle and lag will disappear.