Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

This is why racing needs to stay at the track!

Search this Thread

Old 2/27/15, 08:29 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
This is why racing needs to stay at the track!

http://news.yahoo.com/two-street-rac...172023019.html

We are all fans of driving fast but this is why racing needs to be kept to a track!
Old 2/27/15, 10:12 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This happened about 7 years ago here:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/maryland...-kills-8-fans/
Old 2/27/15, 10:56 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 776 Likes on 567 Posts
Stupid
Old 2/27/15, 11:26 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
While I don't condone street racing, I see this type of accident happen over and over again whether it be on the street or the drag strip. What went wrong here in the mustang that caused it to lose control like that? If I spin to the point my car starts sliding to one side, I let off the gas. Winning isn't worth losing my car over but I assume when accidents like this happen it is because the driver stays on the gas?

This is an unfortunate accident that could have been prevented by keeping it on the track. The driver should have stayed at the scene but I assume he panicked and ran. This type of racing is not only dangerous to the drivers but to spectators as well. Even sometimes innocent people who weren't even spectating.
Old 2/27/15, 11:35 AM
Bullitt Member

Looks like the guy was racing a Nissan GTR...

Last edited by magnido45; 2/27/15 at 11:50 AM.
Old 2/27/15, 12:26 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by killaz05
While I don't condone street racing, I see this type of accident happen over and over again whether it be on the street or the drag strip. What went wrong here in the mustang that caused it to lose control like that? If I spin to the point my car starts sliding to one side, I let off the gas. Winning isn't worth losing my car over but I assume when accidents like this happen it is because the driver stays on the gas?

This is an unfortunate accident that could have been prevented by keeping it on the track. The driver should have stayed at the scene but I assume he panicked and ran. This type of racing is not only dangerous to the drivers but to spectators as well. Even sometimes innocent people who weren't even spectating.
There are many things I guess that could have caused this, but I would think he started spinning and did let of the gas, this is going to cause weight transfer and the front to bite and pull you in whichever direction the wheels are pointing.
I think what also probably caused this was inexperience. If you don't know what you are doing and drive a performance car, something will go wrong, a la ZL1 crash in Delaware, Z28's, Hellcat recently, and now this car.
Old 2/27/15, 01:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Street racing will never go away and even though I like street outlaws and FF, they promote street racing to all of the gear heads out there. No way would I street race with spectators standing at the curb and the driver of the gtr will be facing felony charges. I have been sideways at the track and you better be on/off/on the pedal fast and extremely quick with the wheel to keep it off of the barrier.
Old 2/27/15, 02:13 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Blown CS
Street racing will never go away and even though I like street outlaws and FF, they promote street racing to all of the gear heads out there. No way would I street race with spectators standing at the curb and the driver of the gtr will be facing felony charges. I have been sideways at the track and you better be on/off/on the pedal fast and extremely quick with the wheel to keep it off of the barrier.
Too many people think Street Outlaws and F&F are how street racing really is. Street Outlaws is completely staged on a closed off road and F&F is just a movie. Crowded streets with spectators is just an ignorant move. True money races on the street are not done with crowds watching or with traffic usually. At least not around here. I've been to/in many street races. Some of them a lot more dangerous than others. It's gonna happen regardless, just wish people would at least be smarter about where they race.
Old 2/27/15, 02:15 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 776 Likes on 567 Posts
buncha noobs
Old 2/27/15, 02:20 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you race anywhere there is risk. People are always going to be stupid. Spectators assume their own risk by standing there. How many World Rally races do you see with spectators standing behind a string or tree when cars are flying by at over 100 MPH? Or the Isle of Man race? Racing should be on the track. The problem is that too many Americans are horrible drivers.
Old 2/27/15, 03:07 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Compared to Germany, indeed, with the rules you got to adhere to and hoops to jump through, I'm sure we suck a great ton.

That being said, it has *nothing* to do with Americans being horrible drivers, in any quantity.

It has to do with stupid people doing stupid things, and don't be tellin' me that Germans, or any other countrymen/women you'd like to speak of, are incapable of just as much idiocy, cars or not.

I don't know why people still do this, except inconvenience to get to, and/or the lack of, a track to do this on... why, here's Houston:

http://goo.gl/maps/by2Fp

Three. *Three* in the 'area'.

Yeah, that's pretty much the problem here. Nowhere to play.

And you can dang well bet there's a whole lot of 'NIMBY' people should anyone wanna build a track... can't be having that noise and such, can we? And the rabble rousers.... lord have mercy, no way...

I don't condone the street racing. Ever. It's beyond stupid. But where I live... It's just not a convenient/feasible thing to go racing, and because of that, I get it. I don't condone it, I just get it. It's easier to find a street and go.

And it's nothing to do with crappy American drivers.

Ok... Off the soapbox.
Old 2/27/15, 03:40 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 592 Likes on 425 Posts
In the stories I read they kept saying it was a "very powerful Mustang" and that it had been "modified for racing". I figured like most things, it was just some dumb kid in a stock GT his dad bought him and the uninformed media where just trying to hype it up.

Then I watched numerous news videos about the incident where they were live on the scene and noticed a few things (along with the video above). It appears it was a serious piece of machinery, not just a GT with mufflers and intake. In the vid above you could hear turbos spooling, but I figured it was the GTR. Then, they showed the cops standing around the Mustang with the hood up and it looked to me like you could see the tops of two turbos sticking up (one on each side next to the fenders) and then they panned around and it had a MASSIVE set of slicks on it. Not to mention that it launched from a dig right with that GTR and was staying with it until it came unglued.

Edit: Look at the Mustang at about 1:13 and then again at about 1:21 and 1:27 in this vid, does that look like the top of two turbos peeking out to anyone else? Not to mention that set of meats on the back. They were pretty serious street racers IMO to be rolling out like that.

Last edited by Rather B.Blown; 2/27/15 at 03:43 PM.
Old 2/27/15, 03:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Good catch. Looks like a boss intake with twins under the hood and 15x10 with slicks.
Old 2/27/15, 03:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown
In the stories I read they kept saying it was a "very powerful Mustang" and that it had been "modified for racing". I figured like most things, it was just some dumb kid in a stock GT his dad bought him and the uninformed media where just trying to hype it up.

Then I watched numerous news videos about the incident where they were live on the scene and noticed a few things (along with the video above). It appears it was a serious piece of machinery, not just a GT with mufflers and intake. In the vid above you could hear turbos spooling, but I figured it was the GTR. Then, they showed the cops standing around the Mustang with the hood up and it looked to me like you could see the tops of two turbos sticking up (one on each side next to the fenders) and then they panned around and it had a MASSIVE set of slicks on it. Not to mention that it launched from a dig right with that GTR and was staying with it until it came unglued.

Edit: Look at the Mustang at about 1:13 and then again at about 1:21 and 1:27 in this vid, does that look like the top of two turbos peeking out to anyone else? Not to mention that set of meats on the back. They were pretty serious street racers IMO to be rolling out like that.

Chatsworth Illegal Street Racing Hit-Run [Crash HD VIDEO] | Ford Mustang Driver Drag Race: 2 Killed - YouTube
Dude...I think you're right...looks like 2 turbos peeking out...
Old 2/27/15, 04:00 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 107 Likes on 95 Posts
The car doesn't have a legal plate on the back and it's has some name on the front windshield. I'm guessing some kind of performance shop that with a name that starts with a V.
Old 2/27/15, 04:04 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 592 Likes on 425 Posts
Originally Posted by GrnT
The car doesn't have a legal plate on the back and it's has some name on the front windshield. I'm guessing some kind of performance shop that with a name that starts with a V.
One of the stories I read said that the plate was a drive out tag from a local car dealer, but they didn't know anything about the car, but also said that people often steal drive out tags from their lot because they are metal instead of paper.
Old 2/27/15, 04:09 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
One little thing jumped out at me with the anchorwoman

"If the mustang was illegally modified"

Sounds like a call for executive action
Old 2/27/15, 04:11 PM
Legacy TMS Member

just what is illegally modified?
Old 2/27/15, 04:15 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
In Cali just about everything is illegal
Old 2/27/15, 04:16 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by tom281
In Cali just about everything is illegal
except for pot

Quick Reply: This is why racing needs to stay at the track!