Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Sync completely stopped working.

Search this Thread

Old 7/2/15, 10:56 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Sync completely stopped working.

Well new thing for me today. I was listening to Pandora, while driving with my wife, and tried to change the station through voice commands, and there was nothing; like the microphone didn't hear me or I didn't say anything and Sync kept repeating the commands.

So after trying for about 5 minutes, I tried to manually select Pandora again and Sync stopped working all together; and after an evening trying everything Sync no longer works. I tried resetting my phone, parking the car and opening/locking the door. Let the car sit for an hour. Restarted the car and now I can't call, voice commands no longer work, my wife can't hear me and I can't hear her even though Sync registers a call.

I deleted all Bluetooth devices and tried reconnecting my phone, and the Bluetooth connects but it won't play Bluetooth audio (it plays about 3 seconds and then says Bluetooth Media Disconnected), and it will not recognize voice commands, nor can I make outgoing calls nor get incoming calls. I deleted my phone again and tried with my wife's phone, and it has the exact same problems, so I surmise it is a problem with the car/Sync.

So I tried the Master Reset, and that did nothing, it is acting the same with voice commands acting like the microphone is dead. I tried resetting factory defaults, and that did nothing as well. I tried to re-install the updates and now it is saying "Installation Failed" ("Not enough disk space or not compatible with this version.") Sync will not even recognize music played from my phone while connected through the USB either!?!?!?

My wife and I have spent the last hour trying to navigate the Ford Owner/Sync web site and I still have not been able to find a place to download the updates again (which may not be possible since I did install them and report that it was successful, but why wouldn't they allow you to re-download the updates in case you have to reset the factory settings?)

I am stumped, Sync doesn't work at all, it isn't hearing my voice commands and while my phone connects it will not interact with it properly to make calls or play audio/music.

Back to trying to find some CD's to listen too... Or pay the extended warranty deductible to see if Ford can fix it?!?!

I am fed up with this garbage, and may just have to replace the whole thing with an aftermarket setup like we did in my wife's 06 GTO...

Details:
- Car is a 2014 Mustang GT Base with the Sync/electronics package.
- 4.4 update was done (but I did do a Master Reset and Factory Default reset today to try and fix it with absolutely no effect and still the same issues)
- Cellphone - Samsung Galaxy S4 (Verizon - with latest software updates) which worked well with Sync until today; where it worked great one second and not at all the next second.
Old 7/3/15, 05:04 AM
Bullitt Member

Try a master reset again. The car needs to be parked while doing the reset. This has helped me sometimes fix sync when it decides to be stupid.
Old 7/3/15, 05:30 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by dave07
Try a master reset again. The car needs to be parked while doing the reset. This has helped me sometimes fix sync when it decides to be stupid.
Thanks for the help, I actually have done it 3 times now, once on the side of the road where I pulled over, and twice in my driveway when we got home. The first time I re-paired my phone, then the second time I tried it with only my wife's phone, the last time I tried it again with mine (as the master reset deletes the phones and resets everything - as you know). It is behaving the same, I almost think there is a hardware fault somewhere, like the mic is dead somehow; but that doesn't explain why I couldn't use the phone for Bluetooth Audio, Sync USB, or hear speech from wife when I called her from the car (using my phone to make the call manually, Sync would register the call and show it on the display, but it would not pick up my voice nor would it relay her voice through the car speakers... tried turning up the volume but it went to max with no change)...

I am stumped...
Old 7/3/15, 09:21 AM
Ford In-Vehicle Technology Rep

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Azrael
Well new thing for me today. I was listening to Pandora, while driving with my wife, and tried to change the station through voice commands, and there was nothing; like the microphone didn't hear me or I didn't say anything and Sync kept repeating the commands.

So after trying for about 5 minutes, I tried to manually select Pandora again and Sync stopped working all together; and after an evening trying everything Sync no longer works. I tried resetting my phone, parking the car and opening/locking the door. Let the car sit for an hour. Restarted the car and now I can't call, voice commands no longer work, my wife can't hear me and I can't hear her even though Sync registers a call.

I deleted all Bluetooth devices and tried reconnecting my phone, and the Bluetooth connects but it won't play Bluetooth audio (it plays about 3 seconds and then says Bluetooth Media Disconnected), and it will not recognize voice commands, nor can I make outgoing calls nor get incoming calls. I deleted my phone again and tried with my wife's phone, and it has the exact same problems, so I surmise it is a problem with the car/Sync.

So I tried the Master Reset, and that did nothing, it is acting the same with voice commands acting like the microphone is dead. I tried resetting factory defaults, and that did nothing as well. I tried to re-install the updates and now it is saying "Installation Failed" ("Not enough disk space or not compatible with this version.") Sync will not even recognize music played from my phone while connected through the USB either!?!?!?

My wife and I have spent the last hour trying to navigate the Ford Owner/Sync web site and I still have not been able to find a place to download the updates again (which may not be possible since I did install them and report that it was successful, but why wouldn't they allow you to re-download the updates in case you have to reset the factory settings?)

I am stumped, Sync doesn't work at all, it isn't hearing my voice commands and while my phone connects it will not interact with it properly to make calls or play audio/music.

Back to trying to find some CD's to listen too... Or pay the extended warranty deductible to see if Ford can fix it?!?!

I am fed up with this garbage, and may just have to replace the whole thing with an aftermarket setup like we did in my wife's 06 GTO...

Details:
- Car is a 2014 Mustang GT Base with the Sync/electronics package.
- 4.4 update was done (but I did do a Master Reset and Factory Default reset today to try and fix it with absolutely no effect and still the same issues)
- Cellphone - Samsung Galaxy S4 (Verizon - with latest software updates) which worked well with Sync until today; where it worked great one second and not at all the next second.
Hi Azrael,

There isn't a way to reload current software; I can assure you the update is not deleted during a master reset.

The only way to have software reinstalled is to visit your dealership. They are in the best position to resolve this matter for you.

Whitney
Old 7/3/15, 10:19 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Same thing happened to me. Pull out the sync fuse. It's located in the kick panel on the passenger side. Kind of hard to get to. I pulled it out for 10 seconds and plugged it back in and I was good to go.
Old 7/3/15, 11:01 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Bingo.
Old 7/3/15, 02:01 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by shouldhavegottheGT
Same thing happened to me. Pull out the sync fuse. It's located in the kick panel on the passenger side. Kind of hard to get to. I pulled it out for 10 seconds and plugged it back in and I was good to go.
Originally Posted by tom281
Bingo.
IT WORKED! I knew I was looking for help in the right place, thanks Mustang Source and shouldhavegottheGT and tom281!

Removed, waited 10 seconds, and re-installed the fuse and voice commands were back, Bluetooth Audio was back, and it was all working again!
Old 7/3/15, 02:12 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by FordIVTteam
Hi Azrael,

There isn't a way to reload current software; I can assure you the update is not deleted during a master reset.

The only way to have software reinstalled is to visit your dealership. They are in the best position to resolve this matter for you.

Whitney
Thanks for the suggestion Whitney, I know you have a tough job to do coordinating public presence and troubleshooting. I just didn't want to run to the dealership first, as the dealership I used to use has been sold and their new customer service philosophy has fallen apart. That and I really didn't want to have to be stuck paying the extended warranty deductible as my car has 36,860 miles on it; so it is 860 miles out of the bumper to bumper (I have a 184 mile commute)...

As it turned out, and as I suspected, others have had the same or similar problem and suggested a quick, albeit hard on the back, fix that worked!

Good day!
Old 7/4/15, 06:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seems I had the exact same problem as you did, Azrael. I came here looking for a solution and saw this thread and did exactly as what was suggested with the fuse and now everything is working again. My problem started a few days ago as well and I tried unpairing my phone, a master reset, etc, and nothing working until pulling the fuse. Makes me wonder what kind of glitch is causing this problem and why it happened now. My details are similar to yours: 2014 GT, updated to 4.4, and running Android (though with AT&T and on an HTC One M7).
Old 7/6/15, 09:23 AM

Thanks for the suggestion Whitney, I know you have a tough job to do coordinating public presence and troubleshooting. I just didn't want to run to the dealership first, as the dealership I used to use has been sold and their new customer service philosophy has fallen apart. That and I really didn't want to have to be stuck paying the extended warranty deductible as my car has 36,860 miles on it; so it is 860 miles out of the bumper to bumper (I have a 184 mile commute)...

As it turned out, and as I suspected, others have had the same or similar problem and suggested a quick, albeit hard on the back, fix that worked!

Good day!
Azrael,

You're welcome! I'm glad everything worked out for you.

Whitney
Old 7/18/15, 08:00 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Which fuse did you pull for this GEM. Mine suddenly stopped today as well. Cant even play my music with a wired connection, or my old Bluetooth receiver.
Old 7/18/15, 08:05 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by MADSCOTSMAN
Which fuse did you pull for this GEM. Mine suddenly stopped today as well. Cant even play my music with a wired connection, or my old Bluetooth receiver.
Double check in the Owner's Manual but IIRC it is fuse #3 (blue 15 amp) in the box on the passenger side kick panel. The inside cover has a fuse puller and has the diagram on it showing where the fuses are located.

Mine is working again, but has a strange bug now... Approximately 30 seconds after starting the car Sync freezes for about 20-30 seconds where there is no response at all and then it unlocks and works as "normal"; with all the Sync features of sometimes not seeing mobile apps, etc.

Last edited by Azrael; 7/18/15 at 08:07 PM.
Old 7/18/15, 10:59 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Yeah, thanks, I found that fuse number on another site and I'm up and running again. I still don't understand why SYNC won't connect to my iphone via Bluetooth automatically (why cant I make that the default??). I just updated it to the lateset version. Every time I leave the car and return, It always defaults to "SYNC, line In" and every time I get back in the car I have to tell it "Bluetooth Audio", sometimes 3-4 times before it realizes what I said. I would love to be able to remove it from my car and go back to my Rockford Fosgate Bluetooth adaptor I used in my base 13'. It only cost $25 and it connected to my iphone AUTOMATICALLY EVERY time I turned the radio on and hit "AUX". It seems like black magic voodoo now after dealing with SYNC , they should rename it to CLASH.

Last edited by MADSCOTSMAN; 7/18/15 at 11:04 PM.
Old 7/20/15, 07:38 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by MADSCOTSMAN
Yeah, thanks, I found that fuse number on another site and I'm up and running again. I still don't understand why SYNC won't connect to my iphone via Bluetooth automatically (why cant I make that the default??). I just updated it to the lateset version. Every time I leave the car and return, It always defaults to "SYNC, line In" and every time I get back in the car I have to tell it "Bluetooth Audio", sometimes 3-4 times before it realizes what I said. I would love to be able to remove it from my car and go back to my Rockford Fosgate Bluetooth adaptor I used in my base 13'. It only cost $25 and it connected to my iphone AUTOMATICALLY EVERY time I turned the radio on and hit "AUX". It seems like black magic voodoo now after dealing with SYNC , they should rename it to CLASH.
I could never figure that one out either. Luckily I have the nav so I just have to push Bluetooth/audio and it switches over.
Old 8/16/15, 10:44 AM
GT Member

Well Sync did it again, and again the fuse trick fixed it. I hope Ford is working on a more permanent solution then relying on owners to hard reset Sync every time it decides to stop working!
Old 8/18/15, 10:15 AM

Well Sync did it again, and again the fuse trick fixed it. I hope Ford is working on a more permanent solution then relying on owners to hard reset Sync every time it decides to stop working!

Hi Azrael,

You shouldn't have to continuously pull the fuse for SYNC to function properly. I recommend scheduling an appointment with your dealer so they can get to the bottom of this issue for you.

If you need a hand locating a different dealership, please let me know. I am happy to help.

Whitney
Old 8/22/15, 09:07 PM
GT Member

A new glitch has popped up today with the latest udpate. when answering calls, I will answer it, and then it continues to ring one more time even though I'm already on the call, very annoying.
Old 8/23/15, 12:47 AM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts

Anybody ever seen that movie Wargames with Matthew Broderick? At one point in the movie the Air Force general in Norad looks to Dabney Coleman and says "Mr. McKittrick, after very careful consideration, sir, I've come to the conclusion that your new defense system sucks."

I think that sufficiently sums up Microsoft and their Sync.
Old 8/25/15, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by CriticalmassGT
A new glitch has popped up today with the latest udpate. when answering calls, I will answer it, and then it continues to ring one more time even though I'm already on the call, very annoying.
Hi CriticalmassGT,

I recommend a master reset; you can find those steps here: http://owner.ford.com/how-tos/sync-t...ter-reset.html

Once you have performed a master reset, you will need to pair your device with SYNC. Check out the pairing instructions here: http://owner.ford.com/how-tos/sync-t...ford-sync.html

I hope this helps.

Whitney
Old 9/20/15, 12:46 PM
GT Member

Ah, to bump this thread again... Had to reset SYNC yet again this morning, just stopped working again while listening to Pandora through Mobile Applications; which seems to be the catalyst since it crashes when I listen to Pandora - I have been using Amazon Music until I decided to try Pandora again this morning.

Ready to rip SYNC completely out of my car and use it for target practice at my next range session. My car is just under 2 years old (2014 GT), my basic warranty is gone (already have 43K miles); and not willing to pay the deductible for this on the extended warranty just to have a tech do exactly what I do to reset it.

It works fine for about 3 weeks then decides to commit Seppuku right in the middle of my 92 mile commute home... At least the CD player still works (I am now carrying CDs again).

A disappointed owner.

Quick Reply: Sync completely stopped working.