Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Replacement 5.0 Engine: Recalibaration After 200 miles?

Search this Thread

Old 3/31/15, 12:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacement 5.0 Engine: Recalibaration After 200 miles?

I have a new long block installed by a Ford dealership in my car under warranty as a result of a ticking noise that has been described by others in this forum and myself on previous posts. Anyway, at about 100-200 miles on the new engine, I started noticing a vibration at idle. It was intermittent, but it shook the car. I noticed nothing at speed or higher revs. The dealership put my engine on what they call the IDS (computer) and found my engine was misfiring. They told me it needs to be recalibrated, and that sometimes it takes a couple tries before getting the calibration correct. Does this seem plausible to anyone? Shouldn't the calibration have been done right before they gave me my car back after installing the engine? Could this really happen, or did the dealership do a bad job of tuning the new engine in the first place? I'm trying to get a feel for if this dealership is competent and I can trust them, or if they don't know what their doing. Any thoughts?
Old 3/31/15, 12:59 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
Seems odd to me. Ford doesn't run our engines for 200 miles and load custom calibrations in them, nor do we go back to the dealer after 200 to have the computer retuned.
Old 3/31/15, 01:07 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
sounds like a similar experience with the wifes Santa Fe Sport.

she had the bottom end of the engine replaced. during idle, the motor sounded like a 90's TDI engine, it was REALLY bad. turned out that Teflon coating involving the pistons were worn out (something like that)

car was brand new. dealership went above and beyond to make sure that it was repaired correctly. it had nothing to do with the fact that I threatened to drive the thing through the show room floor :evil grin:

Good luck! these kinds of problems suck, no matter what.
Old 3/31/15, 03:07 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Get Deysha or Nikki involved (Ford reps on here). Sounds like some follow on work is definitely needed.

I'm not sure on the recalibration or if it's needed. But I would think that's something that shouldn't need to be done 200 miles later, if at all. Maybe they didn't install something right
Old 3/31/15, 05:32 PM
Cobra Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
thats the exact same issue i had, my short block was replaced from piston slapping causing ticking noise, then the engine light came on due to misfiring on #2 and #8, here the link to my topic, sometimes they forget to reprogram the "crank shaft position" which causes the problem

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...ocking-535034/
Old 4/1/15, 08:04 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Beavis9000
I have a new long block installed by a Ford dealership in my car under warranty as a result of a ticking noise that has been described by others in this forum and myself on previous posts. Anyway, at about 100-200 miles on the new engine, I started noticing a vibration at idle. It was intermittent, but it shook the car. I noticed nothing at speed or higher revs. The dealership put my engine on what they call the IDS (computer) and found my engine was misfiring. They told me it needs to be recalibrated, and that sometimes it takes a couple tries before getting the calibration correct. Does this seem plausible to anyone? Shouldn't the calibration have been done right before they gave me my car back after installing the engine? Could this really happen, or did the dealership do a bad job of tuning the new engine in the first place? I'm trying to get a feel for if this dealership is competent and I can trust them, or if they don't know what their doing. Any thoughts?
Let me get this reviewed for you, Beavis900. Please PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number.

Originally Posted by FromZto5
Get Deysha or Nikki involved (Ford reps on here). Sounds like some follow on work is definitely needed.

I'm not sure on the recalibration or if it's needed. But I would think that's something that shouldn't need to be done 200 miles later, if at all. Maybe they didn't install something right
Thank you for the mention, FromZto5!

Deysha
Old 4/1/15, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by HizliBullet
thats the exact same issue i had, my short block was replaced from piston slapping causing ticking noise, then the engine light came on due to misfiring on #2 and #8, here the link to my topic, sometimes they forget to reprogram the "crank shaft position" which causes the problem

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...ocking-535034/
Hizli,

Thanks for your reply and the link. That SSM 44328 seems like a possibility for my car, but I agree that they should have done this automatically.Also, I have never seen a check engine light through all this, so who know? How is your car now? Have you confirmed that you have a 2014 engine? Isn't that 13hp more for your troubles?Beavis
Old 4/1/15, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by FromZto5

Thanks Zto5. Deysha offered her help after your reply to my message and I have sent her my info. She seems very helpful to many of us in this forum.
Old 4/2/15, 06:31 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Beavis9000
Thanks Zto5. Deysha offered her help after your reply to my message and I have sent her my info. She seems very helpful to many of us in this forum.
Thanks, Beavis9000! I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

Deysha