Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Lowering with GT500 strut mounts = FAIL? Opinions wanted

Search this Thread

Old 3/5/15, 05:38 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Lowering with GT500 strut mounts = FAIL? Opinions wanted

I've gotten some input on another forum telling me that I was a moron for not just springing for adjustable camber plates...well, they were a bit more kind than that.

I'm going for a mild drop with Eibach Pro (1" front, 1.5" rear) along with a set of Bilsteins...and I decided to save a chunk of cash and went with the GT500 mounts.

This drop will certainly result in some more negative camber but according to my original source, it wouldn't be too much to worry about and that the camber change would offer some handling improvement.

However, it looks like there is enough negative camber there to devour your tires at a fairly alarming rate...and at $300+ per tire (RE-11), this is a worry.

SO....It turns out that I had a set of Eibach camber bolts sitting around...but these are apparently not up to the ~200 lb/ft torque spec required for adequate clamping force and they're a potential failure point. Instead, I was advised that I should but the OEM/upgrade spec Ford caster (and camber) bolt kit...which also requires machning out the mounting point on the strut and costs $300.

So guys: Has anyone used the GT500 mounts when lowering and been able to get back to a camber spec that won't destroy your front tires? How did you do it?

Last edited by MRGTX; 3/5/15 at 05:40 AM.
Old 3/5/15, 06:11 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I read a couple of horror stories about people having their camber too far of with the gt500 mounts. I read their stories of quickly eating tires and it scared me. I bought the camber plates to avoid this. That said, my research led me to believe that our cars are all a little different. Most cars are still within spec with just the gt500 mounts. I've known several people who didn't use plates and were fine. I just know I'm always the unlucky type and my car would be the one out of ten that would be out of spec. You probably don't have my bad luck streak. You'll probably be fine with what you have.
Old 3/5/15, 06:27 AM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
I have the Eibach Pro's on my '14 GT 'vert. I got just a 1" drop on all four corners, but that's because of the heavier weight of the convertible.

The rest of the suspension is bone stock, and camber just needed a minor tweak at time of installation. I've experienced no handling issues or unusual tire wear.
Old 3/5/15, 07:18 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I saw your posts on the other forum, and I have to agree with them, you need caster camber plates to Properly lower your car and maintain control of settings. The guys on the other forum are very experienced and knowledgeable as are our forum members here. If you don't have the dough for the plates wait until u do and do it right the first time, you won't regret it. Just my 2 cents. BTW I think Vorshlag has the best top hats, but thats just me.

It's like the old from commercial "you can pay me now, or pay me later" either way it costs money to go fast!!
Old 3/5/15, 07:20 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by TripleBlack14
I have the Eibach Pro's on my '14 GT 'vert. I got just a 1" drop on all four corners, but that's because of the heavier weight of the convertible.

The rest of the suspension is bone stock, and camber just needed a minor tweak at time of installation. I've experienced no handling issues or unusual tire wear.
Triple black - Did you use GT500 mounts?

I have pro kit's for my convertible as well but I also have a set of J&M camber plates that I was debating needing to install.

OP, this is a good discussion but some of those stories could have involved someone using springs more than a 1" drop and not using a set of camber plates was asking for trouble with tire wear.
Driving style can also play a part in abnormal tire wear and I know that from experience unfortunately.
Old 3/5/15, 07:24 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
OP if you mount the gt500 mounts 180 degrees out so the upper strut nut is towards the outside of the strut tower you should meet the alignment spec as far as camber. Caster should be good. You will most likely need a toe adjustment though. This should be good for a dd.
Old 3/5/15, 07:36 AM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by 2007s197
Triple black - Did you use GT500 mounts?

I have pro kit's for my convertible as well but I also have a set of J&M camber plates that I was debating needing to install.
No other mods to the suspension....just the springs. But my driving style isn't consistently aggressive either. I do push it from time to time, but generally I sit back and just enjoy the cruise, although occasionally I have a dark side.

So far, so good. I have a tick over 5K miles on the clock with no evidence of unusual tire wear, and the car hasn't gotten me into any trouble. I do plan on having the alignment checked once it comes out of winter hibernation though as a matter of course.
Old 3/5/15, 07:37 AM
Bullitt Member

Hey Dusman59 how do you like your Bilstiens with the P springs, any issues or insight on that set up would be appreciated.
Old 3/5/15, 08:27 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustang259
Hey Dusman59 how do you like your Bilstiens with the P springs, any issues or insight on that set up would be appreciated.
I like the ride much better than the stock Brembo suspension. There isn't much space for the stock bump stop even with the 1inch drop so I cut the bump stop at the first top ring giving it more clearence. I like the idea of a monotube dampener.
Old 3/5/15, 08:50 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

IMO you should get CC plates, camber bolts like you said can be a failing point and a pretty serious one. You may be within spec with GT500 mounts but one side may be 1.2 and the other 1.5 negative and so you cannot accurately adjust the camber so they are within spec and equal on both sides.
Old 3/5/15, 11:24 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Thanks to the input, everybody!

Interesting that rotating the GT500 mounts 180* can be a fix. Unfortunately, I bought mine as an assembled set (because I don't own an impact wrench and don't feel like renting a spring compressor...so that advice is a bit too late for me.

The thing is that I went with the GT500 mounts because I feel like I have read a hundred times on this forum that many guys use them when lowering...but it looks like it's basically a universal opinion that they won't do the job.

So how many guys from this forum are driving around with screwed up alignment because they went this route?
Old 3/5/15, 11:27 AM
Bullitt Member

Thx, my plan is to use Bilstein and p's with vorshlag plates, I'm debating on what frt and rear sway bars to go with that set up.
Old 3/5/15, 12:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 144 Likes on 109 Posts
Originally Posted by MRGTX
Thanks to the input, everybody!

Interesting that rotating the GT500 mounts 180* can be a fix. Unfortunately, I bought mine as an assembled set (because I don't own an impact wrench and don't feel like renting a spring compressor...so that advice is a bit too late for me.

The thing is that I went with the GT500 mounts because I feel like I have read a hundred times on this forum that many guys use them when lowering...but it looks like it's basically a universal opinion that they won't do the job.

So how many guys from this forum are driving around with screwed up alignment because they went this route?
I'm lowered 1 front, 1.25 rear and use the GT500 mounts and Koni orange. I did not do the install. I went to a local shop who does struts and shocks, so they installed those and the springs, and they were able to line me up with no issues. I do not have camber bolts either.

I do not know if they rotated the mounts or not.
Old 3/5/15, 01:27 PM
Bullitt Member

So I bought GT500 Mounts as recommended by AM with their SR Performance springs and now I should be worried? They did not mention to me to get the plates... I know all about bad camber/caster... My 97 GT used to go trough pair of tires like no business.... Should of invested in them 1K later i realized 200 bones would of been cheaper esp when i threw 3 pairs of tires...
Old 3/5/15, 01:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
I got the same issue. I will get caster camber plates soon when i get new rims and tires. My car front alignment is so bad, i cant wait to fix it.
Old 3/5/15, 01:36 PM
Bullitt Member

I havent mounted anything yet, suggestions?
Old 3/5/15, 02:27 PM
V6 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Mine is lowered 1 front and 1.5 rear.Camber was negative (too much).Put the GT500 mounts in.They are the same but stronger.Then rotating it 180 and the camber is good.

RedGT
Old 3/5/15, 02:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I run the GT500 mounts with no problems.

A couple of things. In order to run those mounts you have to run a strut for a 05-10. 11-14 struts won't work with them.

Install the GT500 mounts with the arrows pointed in and you'll gain back most if not all of your camber.

This setup works extremely well.
Old 3/5/15, 05:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
How much camber do you guys have in the front that this is an issue?
Old 3/5/15, 05:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0
I run the GT500 mounts with no problems.

A couple of things. In order to run those mounts you have to run a strut for a 05-10. 11-14 struts won't work with them.

Install the GT500 mounts with the arrows pointed in and you'll gain back most if not all of your camber.

This setup works extremely well.
Hey so with my 2013 Car i should stick with the SR Springs and GT500 mounts? Then when i need to update my struts and shocks I should get the ones for the 05-10 due to the GT500 mounts?

Is there a loss of features between 2011-2014 S&S and the ones for 05-10?

Last edited by GBStang13; 3/5/15 at 05:26 PM.

Quick Reply: Lowering with GT500 strut mounts = FAIL? Opinions wanted