2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Had a first today...an annoying one

Search this Thread

Old 5/3/15, 06:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had my Mustang for over a year now and today was the first time some idiots tried to get a rise out of me. I don't know if they were trying to get me to race or were just jealous of my car and trying to make me mad, but it took a lot of self-control not to give in to whatever reaction they were trying to get.

I was cruising along in the second fast lane on the freeway and I saw a coupe with four guys in it coming up behind me and then it gets in the fast lane to my left. At the corner of my left eye I can see it's driving even with me and the passenger is looking at me. I move one lane to the right just to get away, but then they move over too while continuing to stay even with me. I changed lanes again and settled behind an F150. But the jerks in the coupe (a Hyundai Genesis...please) sped up and changed lanes to get in front of me, wedging themselves between me and the truck. This is when I really started to get annoyed--they purposely start driving slow in front of me. I switched lanes again, but they immediately switched lanes to stay in front of me and continued to drive slow. Inside I was really boiling mad at this point but kept a calm exterior and never looked over at them to acknowledge their presence. Eventually they just sped off, weaving in and out of traffic ahead of me. The whole thing was weird as well because I'm a girl and have no testosterone to show them.

I started reading some old threads to see what kind of idiot behaviors are elicited from people when they see a Mustang and I found some good threads. This one was a good read. Nice to see those showing self-control too (but also nice to see others leaving jealous idiots in the dust ).

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...515357/index6/
Old 5/3/15, 06:41 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Your best course of action is to just ignore it.

I was driving home late at night once and it was rainy. This BMW clearly was trying to get me to race him. I just ignored him. and im sure he chalked it up as a win and exited the expressway.

as of late though i've been surprised, not very many people have tried to egg me on. Had a catfish camaro rev at me and a focus lol but thats it. It just makes me laugh.
Old 5/3/15, 07:03 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
I usually resist the urge to show the idiots up, but one time I finally had enough of a newer Maxima and left his sorry self as a distant dot in my rear view mirror.
Old 5/3/15, 07:06 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
They're not worth getting a rise out of you, nice job keeping your cool
Old 5/3/15, 07:07 PM
V6 Member

This kind of thing seems to happen to me all the time. I think I tend to draw idiots my direction.

Yesterday it happened to me when I was enjoying the nice day on the motorcycle. I hate when they pull up next to you at a stop light and just keep revving it, then take off like they have something to prove. Had my bike been broken in fully, I would have played long enough to irritate the guy.

Just today, a quad cab Dodge taunted me, kept pacing me, then floored it. It went on for about a mile until he realized I wasn't going to play. Had I been willing to play though, the state trooper sitting under the bridge up the road would have been on me fast.

Though I do play sometimes, it all depends on circumstance for me. If there is ever any danger to someone other than myself, it isn't worth the risk. Even putting myself in that dangerous situation just isn't worth it, but for some reason I do it every now and again.
Old 5/3/15, 07:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
You did the right thing or it could have ended like this,
https://youtu.be/pA7BASFqXIw
Old 5/3/15, 08:15 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,621 Posts
Originally Posted by SONICBOOST
They're not worth getting a rise out of you, nice job keeping your cool
Agree!
Old 5/3/15, 10:32 PM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustang Freak
Agree!
Yup. Ignore and go about your business.

I love to do this when the opportunity arises: a teen in Daddy's Bimmer, or some snot nose in a tuner pulls next to me at a light and revs his engine. I glance over, rev mine, pretend I'm getting ready to shift. He does the same while revving louder and louder. I stare at the light controlling traffic on the left as if I'm ticking off the seconds once their amber turns to red and my light turns green. As soon as the light changes, the kiddies next to me nail it as hard as they can, and I let them leave me in the dust while I proceed slowly like the tortoise racing a hare. Makes them look like real a$$-holes.

I got nothing to prove.

Last edited by TripleBlack14; 5/3/15 at 10:34 PM.
Old 5/3/15, 11:46 PM
Cobra Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
This is especially gratifying when there is a cop a block down the street and the fool next to you has a fart can.
Old 5/4/15, 01:14 AM
Cobra Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
What kind of mustang do you have?
Old 5/4/15, 04:09 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lots of people try to race me or get me to do burnouts at red lights. 9 times out of 10 I resist the urge because
1) I have nothing to prove. I just let the looks of my car or the sound of my exhaust do all the talking for me.
2) I've seen too many cops just waiting around corners and I know I'll get nailed
3) how bad would I feel if I decided to show off and god forbid, lose control or have an accident and hurt my car, or worse, hurt/kill someone else?

Just not worth it. But I'm happy people admire my blue paint!
Old 5/4/15, 10:05 AM

Reading all the above posts definitely made me feel good about ignoring those idiots. I didn't care when they were trying to go even with me in the next lane while I was going with the flow of traffic at 70 mph. It was when they were intentionally moving in front of me and slowing down to 60 mph and wouldn't leave me alone that I was getting really mad. It was potentially putting me and others in danger. I definitely don't want to end up like that truck in the video above that got cut off by the angry Camaro.

Sweet justice would've been a cop pulling them over after they finally left me alone and sped away at 80+ mph.

Originally Posted by xtc.inc
What kind of mustang do you have?
I have a 2014 GT Premium. Other than just being a Mustang, there's nothing I've done to it to make it yell out, "Please race me." The Hyundai still had dealer ad plates. Even as a new car, I'm not sure what made them think that their little Hyundai coupe would've ever stood a chance anyway.

Originally Posted by TripleBlack14
As soon as the light changes, the kiddies next to me nail it as hard as they can, and I let them leave me in the dust while I proceed slowly like the tortoise racing a hare. Makes them look like real a$$-holes.
I'd love to do this sometime.
Old 5/4/15, 10:56 AM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,621 Posts
I've let many people think they're going to race only to find themselves racing alone. The look on their faces are priceless. :-)
Old 5/4/15, 11:43 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
in houston you have another type of people to annoy you. yes, cops who are in unmarked cars try to see if you wanna race them and had couple of guys in our stang club caught this way. so i too go the ignorant mode on all those invites.
Old 5/4/15, 12:59 PM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustang Freak
I've let many people think they're going to race only to find themselves racing alone. The look on their faces are priceless. :-)
The joy of owning cars like ours is the satisfaction of just knowing we're capable of smoking much of what's out there. I worked too d@mn hard to make it to retirement and through a marital situation, and the Mustang is a self-reward for my efforts and being able to keep my sh*t together through all the crap. I have no need to measure dicks.
Old 5/4/15, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by CiniZter
in houston you have another type of people to annoy you. yes, cops who are in unmarked cars try to see if you wanna race them and had couple of guys in our stang club caught this way. so i too go the ignorant mode on all those invites.
Wow, that's a sneaky way to give out tickets. Another good reason not to ever give in to jerks who want to race. Makes me a little more irritated about cops that hide out in the bushes and give tickets for what I think are petty infractions. Got only my second ticket ever last week for not doing a full stop at a red light before turning right. Yes I "broke the law" by doing a California roll, but it makes me annoyed that cops will get generally upstanding citizens for stuff like this and then idiots like the ones I encountered yesterday get to go joy riding with no consequences.
Old 5/4/15, 01:02 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Man... that is dirty. So lesson is: Just don't race any Impala's or Taurus's or Charger's or Explorer's right? Those are usually the unmarked popos.
Old 5/4/15, 01:04 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Btw, OP, that was my thread you quoted/resurrected

p.s. I get that ALLLLLLLLLLL the time. Esp my car in its current condition. You'd be surprised at what kinds. Coupes, sedan, pick up trucks, Suv's, etc... you name.

I'll plead the 5th as far as me divulging whether I gave them what they deserved or not
Old 5/4/15, 01:59 PM

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

They've got V6 Chargers around here with racing stripes on them. One of them tried to race a friend in his Mustang. lol
Old 5/4/15, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by FromZto5
Btw, OP, that was my thread you quoted/resurrected

p.s. I get that ALLLLLLLLLLL the time. Esp my car in its current condition. You'd be surprised at what kinds. Coupes, sedan, pick up trucks, Suv's, etc... you name.
Of all the threads I read about trying to be egged into racing, yours was my favorite. Thoughtful responses. And of course the fact that it was a Lexus sedan with a middle-aged man driving it that tried to show you its mettle is in and of itself hilarious.

Quick Reply: Had a first today...an annoying one