2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Clutch chatter 2014 gt

Search this Thread

Old 1/8/15, 01:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
So ever since I lowered my car I started developing this clutch chatter. Now I am not sure how thats related but it has me wondering if it was just coincidence or the lowering caused it. The car has 24k miles and drives great. It shakes if i feather the clutch in first gear only. Other than that, there is no strange noises or slippage. Anybody have similar issue? I am thinking my clutch glazed
Old 1/8/15, 04:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This happened to me yesterday. My car is not lowered. It usually occurs when I downshift into 1st gear going 5-10 mph and I'm slipping the clutch.
Old 1/8/15, 05:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Will3212
This happened to me yesterday. My car is not lowered. It usually occurs when I downshift into 1st gear going 5-10 mph and I'm slipping the clutch.
Interesting, its not doing it now. Seems to do it more when it warms up from repeated use. It was doing it this morning.

Last edited by Wild5.0; 1/8/15 at 05:31 PM.
Old 1/8/15, 07:10 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Wild5.0
Interesting, its not doing it now. Seems to do it more when it warms up from repeated use. It was doing it this morning.
Mine did that for a couple days, around 7k miles. Only at night and when cold, though it still did it for a little when it warmed up. Then it just stopped and it's been fine since (I was NOT happy when it started, at 7k miles!!!).
Old 1/9/15, 07:46 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It seems like the 5.0 really likes to be warmed up before driving. More so than other cars I've owned. I noticed a little "chatter" when I took off a couple of mornings ago. It was cold and I didn't let the car fully warm up. When I fully let out of first gear it did the chatter and a little when going to second. I haven't noticed it since.
Old 1/10/15, 03:49 AM
Bullitt Member

Thanks for the replies. So far the chatter is gone, seems like this is a common occurrence. It seems like the chatter happens when the right conditions exist. Cold weather seems like a big factor.
Old 1/10/15, 06:32 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Thanks for the replies. So far the chatter is gone, seems like this is a common occurrence. It seems like the chatter happens when the right conditions exist. Cold weather seems like a big factor.
And it only happens for 2 days lol. I wonder if it's just a part of the clutch breaking in? This is my first brand new car so I don't have anything else to compare it to...
Old 1/10/15, 12:18 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
And it only happens for 2 days lol. I wonder if it's just a part of the clutch breaking in? This is my first brand new car so I don't have anything else to compare it to...
My first manual car was a ford probe, I put a new clutch on it and there was a period that the clutch chattered. But as the clutch worn in the chatter went away. Well anyways im glad it went away, when it started it was getting worse and worse then just disappeared lol
Old 1/10/15, 12:52 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I have the same issue.
Old 1/19/15, 09:06 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
So ever since I lowered my car I started developing this clutch chatter. Now I am not sure how thats related but it has me wondering if it was just coincidence or the lowering caused it. The car has 24k miles and drives great. It shakes if i feather the clutch in first gear only. Other than that, there is no strange noises or slippage. Anybody have similar issue? I am thinking my clutch glazed
Originally Posted by trackpack13gt
I have the same issue.
Have you guys addressed this with your dealers yet? If so, what did they say?

Deysha
Old 1/19/15, 11:11 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by FordService
Have you guys addressed this with your dealers yet? If so, what did they say? Deysha
Thanks for the response Deysha. The problem went away so I didnt take it to the dealer.
Old 1/19/15, 09:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
The dealer said I would have to agree to a $150 diagnosing fee if it turned out to be the clutch as it would not be covered by the warranty. They said the same with the rough idle problem. If I had know this I would not have bothered getting the esp.
Old 1/19/15, 09:23 PM
Bullitt Member

The dealer said I would have to agree to a $150 diagnosing fee if it turned out to be the clutch as it would not be covered by the warranty. They said the same with the rough idle problem. If I had know this I would not have bothered getting the esp.
Well clutch is a wear item most likely they wont cover it just like brakes. But rough idle they cant be charging you anything up front or after the repair, thats bull****.
Old 1/20/15, 02:01 PM

Thanks for the response Deysha. The problem went away so I didnt take it to the dealer.
Oh, ok. You’re very welcome, Wild5.0.

This is normal, trackpack13gt. Under most state laws, a dealership's service department is entitled to ask for payment of a diagnostic fee which covers the labor cost to determine the cause of a vehicle's concern. Upon diagnosis, if the repair is covered under an applicable warranty, extended service plan, recall, or customer satisfaction program, it is customary for the diagnostic fee to be waived.

Deysha
Old 1/20/15, 02:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by FordService
Oh, ok. You’re very welcome, Wild5.0. This is normal, trackpack13gt. Under most state laws, a dealership's service department is entitled to ask for payment of a diagnostic fee which covers the labor cost to determine the cause of a vehicle's concern. Upon diagnosis, if the repair is covered under an applicable warranty, extended service plan, recall, or customer satisfaction program, it is customary for the diagnostic fee to be waived. Deysha
Oh ok I guess i spoke too soon, i just have never heard of getting charged before the work for warranty repairs.
Old 1/21/15, 06:16 AM

Oh ok I guess i spoke too soon, i just have never heard of getting charged before the work for warranty repairs.
I understand, Wild5.0.

Deysha
Old 1/28/15, 09:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My car is currently at the dealership for this right now. It doesn't happen all the time, and only in first gear. After all day with it, the dealership called and told me there was no oil leaking on the housing so whatever was causing the issue was internal not going to be covered under warranty. I still don't know what is wrong with the clutch, and even if i did want them to take it apart to diagnose the issue, the clutch itself is on back order for a couple months.

I dont know what to do! I am worried that if i buy a different clutch and have it installed, it would void the rest of my powertrain warranty, but I really wanted to take the car to florida next month.
Old 1/29/15, 01:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by jwpraxis
My car is currently at the dealership for this right now. It doesn't happen all the time, and only in first gear. After all day with it, the dealership called and told me there was no oil leaking on the housing so whatever was causing the issue was internal not going to be covered under warranty. I still don't know what is wrong with the clutch, and even if i did want them to take it apart to diagnose the issue, the clutch itself is on back order for a couple months. I dont know what to do! I am worried that if i buy a different clutch and have it installed, it would void the rest of my powertrain warranty, but I really wanted to take the car to florida next month.
Yeah man Ford doenst usually cover clutches since its a wear item. How bad is it? And how long has it been doing it? I say just keep driving it, it might go away like mine did. As long as its not severe and clutch is not slipping. Good luck