Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Base Gt owners any regrets?

Search this Thread

Old 10/20/10, 08:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Base Gt owners any regrets?

I got to sit in one tonight and was quite surprised how nice the seats felt. The dealer was closed and left the doors unlocked. There is no question the premium is very very nice. But these seats felt great to me and seem to make me grab me better for a lack of better term. Im sure its an individual thing.

I didnt care for the steering wheel but its not the end of the world. There is no question in my mind the premium steering wheel looks tons better. The premium has some other nice touches as well like ambient lighting I like. Problem is, I just cant justify 3K more for this stuff. Im a older guy so sync and that sort of stuff just doesnt trip my trigger. I want a car like this for the driving passion and every dollar counts.

Do any of you base gt owners have any regrets? Its kinda cheap of Ford not to give the base car those extra two idiot light gauges but its not a big loss since thats all they are. I assume the base gets the oil life monitor and the other gadgets like average mpg ect...?

I am totally amazed how much better this car ergonomics is compared to my 03. Its a night and day difference. I really picked over this car and the fit and finish was very good. Im sure a test drive would only make things worse for me. I was surprised my dealer had 3 base gt's and 1 premium and 3 v6 models.
Old 10/20/10, 08:37 PM

I too have driven a base 5.0 manual, while I have driven the premium version of the 2010 GT. I have leather in all my daily driver vehicles, but the cloth in the base 5.0 is not too bad either like you mention. I like the lower cost of the base for the fact that I could customize the exterior as that is what people see when you are driving. The leather on any vehicle seat always seems to wear much faster when it comes to wrinkles and such that it looks a lot older with lower miles than a cloth seat. My Father-in_law bought a Challenger R/T (poor guy) with cloth as he felt the same as I do. He wanted the looks and power, but did not need all the interior frills. He took the money he saved and added exhaust, painted stripes, put bigger tires on it and added nitrous.

Take my comments with a grain of salt as I do not own a mustang yet. I have a hot rod I built that I am enjoying for the time being till I save some more money. I have even considered buying the 2011 V-6 as it has decent power and I could take the money difference between the GT and V-6 to put into the visuals as well. I currently turn tons of heads with my chopped/channeled and totally modded Hugger Orange 1954 International pickup. I want the same reaction for my mustang and it is going to take some $$ to set mine apart from the crowds. So in my situation, I prefer the cool factor on the outside rather than the inside.

It seems the Grabber Blue or Yellow Blaze only comes with a black interior anyway, so for me that is not enough of a difference compared to the leather color. If you were really wanting the saddle or red leather interior colors, then leather is the way you have to go.
Old 10/20/10, 09:34 PM
Cobra R Member

If you want it, you'll definitely regret not getting it later. IMO.
Old 10/21/10, 12:05 AM
Bullitt Member

No regrets with the trim just pissed @ ford for integrating the radio w/hvac controls. U have to buy a $200 dash kit just to swap in a new head unit.
Old 10/21/10, 12:26 AM
Mach 1 Member

At first I did regret getting the base model... but $400 later;

Old 10/21/10, 04:37 AM
V6 Member

No regrets on the base model. If I had a much larger disposable income, I might have gone premium for all the electronic goodies, the 19" wheels, and steering wheel, but the base is just fine.

Cloth seats are comfortable, the dash material is pretty much the same. The steering wheel is an ugly, skinny, plastic material. But that can be changed with a new steering wheel, or steering wheel cover.

Honestly, there is really only one thing that I miss - radio controls on the steering wheel. I tend to flip around radio stations and skip songs from CDs all the time, so having those buttons on the steering wheel would have been very helpful. But that of course is a minor point. Everything else - love it.
Old 10/21/10, 05:25 AM

To chutoyy
I see the pic looks like a premium mustang. What did you $400 get you? Did you buy some interior upgrades or were you able to snag a 2010 for $400 over the 2011 base price?
Old 10/21/10, 05:29 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 776 Likes on 567 Posts
does the base car have a plug in for an ipod?
Old 10/21/10, 05:40 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
looks like he got a premium steering wheel and some seat cover takeoffs.
Old 10/21/10, 09:39 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by orgchem
No regrets on the base model. If I had a much larger disposable income, I might have gone premium for all the electronic goodies, the 19" wheels, and steering wheel, but the base is just fine.

Cloth seats are comfortable, the dash material is pretty much the same. The steering wheel is an ugly, skinny, plastic material. But that can be changed with a new steering wheel, or steering wheel cover.

Honestly, there is really only one thing that I miss - radio controls on the steering wheel. I tend to flip around radio stations and skip songs from CDs all the time, so having those buttons on the steering wheel would have been very helpful. But that of course is a minor point. Everything else - love it.
+1

When I ordered my car initially, I was going to get the premium w/ HIDs but the monthly payment was a bit too high for me to gradually save up money and eventually buy mods for it. By getting the base, I was able to mod the car almost immediately. I used the money I saved to buy my Corsa exhaust which ended up costing a little over a grand for parts and labor. The steering wheel is kinda cheapy looking but I plan on changing that in the future. Just like trikwires said the exterior in the base is practically identical to the premium which is what everyone sees. So if you have the money and it won't hinder you from modding the car, then go all out. The Sync is really the only thing I regret not having.

Originally Posted by trikwires
I too have driven a base 5.0 manual, while I have driven the premium version of the 2010 GT. I have leather in all my daily driver vehicles, but the cloth in the base 5.0 is not too bad either like you mention. I like the lower cost of the base for the fact that I could customize the exterior as that is what people see when you are driving. The leather on any vehicle seat always seems to wear much faster when it comes to wrinkles and such that it looks a lot older with lower miles than a cloth seat. My Father-in_law bought a Challenger R/T (poor guy) with cloth as he felt the same as I do. He wanted the looks and power, but did not need all the interior frills. He took the money he saved and added exhaust, painted stripes, put bigger tires on it and added nitrous.
I had leather seats in my truck and hated it. The seats in the base mustang are surprisingly very comfortable and look nice. I drove all the way from Buffalo to NYC and not once did I feel like I needed to get out of my seat before I have a physical and mental break down. They don't stick to you when it's really hot out and they don't freeze you (unless you have heated seats) when it's below zero.

Originally Posted by Glenn
does the base car have a plug in for an ipod?
The base does have an aux input. If you have a mp3 player or phone that has some sort of voice control or receives voice commands, you can actually have a sorta Sync like system going on.
Old 10/21/10, 12:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by trikwires
To chutoyy
I see the pic looks like a premium mustang. What did you $400 get you? Did you buy some interior upgrades or were you able to snag a 2010 for $400 over the 2011 base price?
Originally Posted by codeman94
looks like he got a premium steering wheel and some seat cover takeoffs.
Yep.

I'm working on a MyColor cluster right now... And trying to find a totaled Mustang to do a SYNC install.
Old 10/21/10, 04:52 PM
GT Member

None at all i wanted the cloths seat i like them way better than the leather seat when it a 110 f out side . For me there was only one down side to the base GT the steering wheel. I now have this steering wheel in my car (the pic. of the steering wheel is not the inside of my car) the base GT had all i need on the inside i used the money that i save by not getting the premium GT to get my Brembos and 3.73 gears .
Old 10/21/10, 09:32 PM
V6 Member

The only regrets I have is that Ford will not deliver my car so I can drive it.

I ordered mine with the base interior so I could afford the Brembo brakes and 3.73 gears as well. I was looking for a lighter faster car, not a luxury car. The Base options are completely loaded compared to 1990.

Told me last week ETA was Nov 6th and now it is the week of the 12th. I don't want to drive it home in the snow.

TED
Old 10/22/10, 02:28 AM
GT Member

I love my base car. I swapped in a Bullitt leather wheel but otherwise the Base is great.
Old 10/22/10, 04:13 AM
Mach 1 Member

I too bought a base model Mustang GT, and love the cloth interior. Yes, the steering wheel is well, plain, but you know what, in 5+ years, the rubberized plastic wheel will still look new, the leather wrapped wheel will not. The oils and dirt from your hands will wear out the leather quicker than the leather under your butt. Besides, who wants to fight sliding around on a leather seating surface anyway.

To me this is very simple, I bought the car to have fun. So while leather, colored lighting, 2 extra gauges, and sync may offer a dazzling interior experience, Fun it does not make...
Old 10/22/10, 05:50 AM

I do agree- I would definately regret it if I purchased a V-6 over the 5.0, but I don't think the regrets would be there wishing I had the leather. The mycolor stuff is a set and forget for me, and I really don't need any sync as I like my Garmin GPS and I don't use my phone on the road.

The outside is what people see and hear so use the $$ for mods there if you want to stand apart.
Old 10/22/10, 07:43 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
The base GT has everything I wanted...and my payments are lower. If I was buying outright, I may have splurged for more toys...Sync, MyColor and the glass roof are cool....but I hate leather.
Old 10/22/10, 10:02 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
No, regrets at all My GT is great
Old 10/23/10, 09:28 AM
Bullitt Member

Leather.....take it or leave it......ok for weekend cruiser, like cloth for a DD.
Sync.........useless to me......loud classic rock through the Shaker 500 is all I need.
Nav..........nope...I am one of the lucky few who can still read a map.

Performance mods are my favorite options
Old 10/23/10, 04:59 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Radiohead
I love my base car. I swapped in a Bullitt leather wheel but otherwise the Base is great.
Good idea. In fact, it looks like the IUP steering wheel from any of the '05-'09s should swap out with the '10 or '11 base model wheels to dress the interior up and give you leather on the wheel. Maybe KC or another parts expert can confirm this.

Quick Reply: Base Gt owners any regrets?