2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2015 or 2014?

Search this Thread

Old 12/7/14, 12:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile 2015 or 2014?

Hi guys, I don't know what I want to do with my Mustang! I have a 2014 GT and like the 2015 Mustang. I don't know if I want to trade mine in and get a new one. Would it be a downgrade if I got a 2015 Ecoboost? I'll probably miss the v8 sound and power but the new style is nice. What would you recommend or do if you were in my situation? I saw a post where a member was asking if you would trade in your 2005 Mustang but 2014 and 2015 years are so close!
Old 12/7/14, 12:34 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Only you can really answer this question. Your current car is an excellent car. If you drive the 15 and have to have it, you'll have to consider the expense and if it's worth it to you. I'd keep the 14 and see what happens in 15 and beyond that makes the new mustang even better.
Old 12/7/14, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. V
Only you can really answer this question. Your current car is an excellent car. If you drive the 15 and have to have it, you'll have to consider the expense and if it's worth it to you. I'd keep the 14 and see what happens in 15 and beyond that makes the new mustang even better.
Thanks for the reply Mr. V. It's tempting to have the 2015 but you're right, my 2014 is an excellent car.
Old 12/7/14, 01:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

Personally, if I was going from my '14 GT, the Ecoboost wouldn't even been a consideration. Buying a Mustang with your head (fuel economy/practicality) doesn't make sense, because they just aren't practical. That's what a Focus/Fiesta is for. You buy a Mustang because of the sound, the performance, the experience. Going to an ecoboost gets you the Mustang body, but it falls down on all the reasons you buy a Mustang. The V6 & Ecoboost are there for those who the "real" Mustang is out of reach. If you've already got that, I think you'll be pretty disappointed in a downgrade from what I consider the "true" Mustang experience.

That said, if you want the practical/economical "import style" driving experience in a more stylish package, I'm not sure it gets any better.
Old 12/7/14, 01:21 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 111 Likes on 101 Posts
I would stick with the 2014 GT you have. Let the first model year bugs get worked out if anything and maybe consider 2016.
Old 12/7/14, 01:34 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
EB would definitely be a downgrade. It's a second + slower 1/4 mile and sounds weenie. I thought about the new one vs last of the S197's and the only thing so far I would consider swapping to would be a GT350. Even that, the difference in price would be so much, I wouldn't be $20k happier in the GT350. I'll someday wait for the next forced inducted V8 Mustang to come out, but I think I'd just keep the 2014 GT and add it to my stable.

I just need a bigger horse barn!
Old 12/7/14, 02:31 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

If the upcoming gt350 was in my budget I would probably jump on that bandwagon. But the 2014 GT has been incredible and I can not imagine a 2015 being much better.
Old 12/7/14, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by lakeguy77
Personally, if I was going from my '14 GT, the Ecoboost wouldn't even been a consideration. Buying a Mustang with your head (fuel economy/practicality) doesn't make sense, because they just aren't practical. That's what a Focus/Fiesta is for. You buy a Mustang because of the sound, the performance, the experience. Going to an ecoboost gets you the Mustang body, but it falls down on all the reasons you buy a Mustang. The V6 & Ecoboost are there for those who the "real" Mustang is out of reach. If you've already got that, I think you'll be pretty disappointed in a downgrade from what I consider the "true" Mustang experience.

That said, if you want the practical/economical "import style" driving experience in a more stylish package, I'm not sure it gets any better.
It IS nice to hear the V8. I am glad my 14 is a V8.

Originally Posted by dmichaels
I would stick with the 2014 GT you have. Let the first model year bugs get worked out if anything and maybe consider 2016.
That would be good to get the bugs worked out and then I can start looking in 2015 for a 2016.

Originally Posted by Turbo302
EB would definitely be a downgrade. It's a second + slower 1/4 mile and sounds weenie. I thought about the new one vs last of the S197's and the only thing so far I would consider swapping to would be a GT350. Even that, the difference in price would be so much, I wouldn't be $20k happier in the GT350. I'll someday wait for the next forced inducted V8 Mustang to come out, but I think I'd just keep the 2014 GT and add it to my stable.

I just need a bigger horse barn!
Maybe I'll wait for the GT350!
Old 12/7/14, 10:42 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My brother just got a 2014 Focus ST, and if I were looking for better gas mileage I would get one of those before I got a Ecoboost Mustang, IMHO. I personally just couldn't be in a Mustang without the V8 sound, it is almost sacrilege.
Old 12/7/14, 11:28 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Have you driven a 2015? I have (an ecoboost) and although it was a solid car there is no way I would take it over my 2013 gt. Not all the interior materials are higher quality, the plastic door panels are way more harder than the 2013.

I found the interior more cramp, less leg room, it drove like a sports car. I didn't buy a mustang to drive a sports car, I wanted a true muscle car experience which is what my 2013 provides. I also think the 2015s look like crap.
Old 12/8/14, 07:52 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
keep your 2014 and wait a few more years. I bet you that you'll have a lot less issues with your 2014 than the completely rebuilt 2015 models. you may regret it.
Old 12/8/14, 08:03 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Drive an Ecoboost and see if you like it, and know that you can make great power out of the little 4 cylinder. Livernois has already made 350hp/425ftlb from a tune, so it may not sound like a V8 but it should be able to move out like one.
Old 12/8/14, 11:34 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by lakeguy77
The V6 & Ecoboost are there for those who the "real" Mustang is out of reach. If you've already got that, I think you'll be pretty disappointed in a downgrade from what I consider the "true" Mustang experience.
Wow....Sorry, but the "real" Mustang was not out of my reach. I have a "real" Mustang and it is a V6, which is what I CHOSE to buy. Maybe it isn't your flavor of Mustang, but it is still a Mustang.

You sound like a lot of the Harley owner's for pete's sake, lol. In fact, the last Harley owner who asked me when I "was going to get a 'real' bike", was asked back by me - "I don't know...when is your bike going to get a 'real rider'...?" haha.

Last edited by TheTaminator; 12/8/14 at 11:36 AM.
Old 12/8/14, 11:42 AM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,621 Posts
Originally Posted by TheTaminator
Wow....Sorry, but the "real" Mustang was not out of my reach. I have a "real" Mustang and it is a V6, which is what I CHOSE to buy. Maybe it isn't your flavor of Mustang, but it is still a Mustang. You sound like a lot of the Harley owner's for pete's sake, lol. In fact, the last Harley owner who asked me when I "was going to get a 'real' bike", was asked back by me - "I don't know...when is your bike going to get a 'real rider'...?" haha.
Old 12/8/14, 11:45 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by RedStang1
Hi guys, I don't know what I want to do with my Mustang! I have a 2014 GT and like the 2015 Mustang. I don't know if I want to trade mine in and get a new one. Would it be a downgrade if I got a 2015 Ecoboost? I'll probably miss the v8 sound and power but the new style is nice. What would you recommend or do if you were in my situation? I saw a post where a member was asking if you would trade in your 2005 Mustang but 2014 and 2015 years are so close!
Hello OP - what would be your goal in moving to an EB vs. another V8? Is it the cost savings at point of purchase? Better gas mileage? Personally, if I were going to opt for a 2015 and not a V8, I would definitely wait and buy a low mile used one and let someone else take the depreciation hit. That would give you another year to enjoy your 2014...and see how things pan out for the 2015.

I just bought my 2013 V6, which stickered at $35k, for $21 (highly optioned), 13,000 miles. My V6 will always be worth less than it's V8 counterparts, so I wasn't prepared to buy a 2015 EB or V6 at $35+. If I were going to spend that much, it would have been on a V8 (but not because it is a "real" Mustang, lol).

Tami
Old 12/8/14, 04:28 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I considered the V6 Mustang since I don't drag race and for track days extra power helps, but it's more handling. I think I could get a V6 'stang around my local tracks within 1-2 seconds of my GT.

But I wouldn't trade my V8 for anything.

I am extremely hesitant to ever track a turbo car again after my B5 S4, in which I blew a turbo. In stock tuning, I'm sure it would be fine, but turbo cars are so easy to tune, which puts lots more stress on the turbo and engine. I like the V8 as it is not nearly as "stressed" as a high-strung turbo 4. For street driving, wouldn't think twice though (and I have a turbo diesel Jetta that I plan on keeping for many years to come)
Old 12/8/14, 04:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Keep your GT, you won't be happy with a ecoboost. Nothing like a V-8 ride.
Old 12/8/14, 06:00 PM

The V6 is an amazing engine. The police are now using this same 3.7 litre engine in the new Taurus Intercepter.
I opted for the V6 because I was really pleased by it's performance, gas mileage and comparable power to recent 4.6 litre GTs
For those who are die hard V8 people.... look what Nissan did with the V6 in the GT-R and what Ford has done with the Eco Boost V6 in the F 150. There was a lot of skeptasism on putting a V6 in a full size truck, but now it's the most requested engine.
A V6 eco boost may be in the future Mustangs.
I think the V8 could be on it's way out.

Last edited by Beefster; 12/8/14 at 06:01 PM.
Old 12/8/14, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Azrael
My brother just got a 2014 Focus ST, and if I were looking for better gas mileage I would get one of those before I got a Ecoboost Mustang, IMHO. I personally just couldn't be in a Mustang without the V8 sound, it is almost sacrilege.
Yeah at first I didn't like how there was a 4cyl in a Mustang but now I like it. I like how you can get the Mustang body and get good gas mileage and still have good power.
Old 12/8/14, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by trackpack13gt
Have you driven a 2015? I have (an ecoboost) and although it was a solid car there is no way I would take it over my 2013 gt. Not all the interior materials are higher quality, the plastic door panels are way more harder than the 2013.

I found the interior more cramp, less leg room, it drove like a sports car. I didn't buy a mustang to drive a sports car, I wanted a true muscle car experience which is what my 2013 provides. I also think the 2015s look like crap.
So you have a 2013 GT and an Ecoboost? I thought the interior was nice but I guess I didn't sit in it long enough to notice the plastic.

Originally Posted by JoeMidnight
keep your 2014 and wait a few more years. I bet you that you'll have a lot less issues with your 2014 than the completely rebuilt 2015 models. you may regret it.
That's a good idea! I think I'll wait for the 2015 to get the bugs worked out.

Originally Posted by Brandon302
Drive an Ecoboost and see if you like it, and know that you can make great power out of the little 4 cylinder. Livernois has already made 350hp/425ftlb from a tune, so it may not sound like a V8 but it should be able to move out like one.
I'm actually ok with just the stock hp in the car!

Wow....Sorry, but the "real" Mustang was not out of my reach. I have a "real" Mustang and it is a V6, which is what I CHOSE to buy. Maybe it isn't your flavor of Mustang, but it is still a Mustang.

You sound like a lot of the Harley owner's for pete's sake, lol. In fact, the last Harley owner who asked me when I "was going to get a 'real' bike", was asked back by me - "I don't know...when is your bike going to get a 'real rider'...?" haha.
V6 Mustangs are nice too. If I got rid of my 2014 GT I was looking at all three models (V6, Ecoboost, GT). I just don't know what I would get.

Originally Posted by Mustang Freak

Hello OP - what would be your goal in moving to an EB vs. another V8? Is it the cost savings at point of purchase? Better gas mileage? Personally, if I were going to opt for a 2015 and not a V8, I would definitely wait and buy a low mile used one and let someone else take the depreciation hit. That would give you another year to enjoy your 2014...and see how things pan out for the 2015.

I just bought my 2013 V6, which stickered at $35k, for $21 (highly optioned), 13,000 miles. My V6 will always be worth less than it's V8 counterparts, so I wasn't prepared to buy a 2015 EB or V6 at $35+. If I were going to spend that much, it would have been on a V8 (but not because it is a "real" Mustang, lol).

Tami
I just like how it's fuel efficient and it doesn't attract so much attention with sound. I know you shouldn't get a Mustang for efficiency and I'm not worried about efficiency. I'll have to look into buying when someone else takes the depreciation hit. Then I can save money!

Originally Posted by dmichaels
I considered the V6 Mustang since I don't drag race and for track days extra power helps, but it's more handling. I think I could get a V6 'stang around my local tracks within 1-2 seconds of my GT.

But I wouldn't trade my V8 for anything.

I am extremely hesitant to ever track a turbo car again after my B5 S4, in which I blew a turbo. In stock tuning, I'm sure it would be fine, but turbo cars are so easy to tune, which puts lots more stress on the turbo and engine. I like the V8 as it is not nearly as "stressed" as a high-strung turbo 4. For street driving, wouldn't think twice though (and I have a turbo diesel Jetta that I plan on keeping for many years to come)
I like the V8 power.

Originally Posted by JohnnyMustang2
Keep your GT, you won't be happy with a ecoboost. Nothing like a V-8 ride.
Yes, I don't want to get the Ecoboost and then regret it.

Originally Posted by Beefster
The V6 is an amazing engine. The police are now using this same 3.7 litre engine in the new Taurus Intercepter.
I opted for the V6 because I was really pleased by it's performance, gas mileage and comparable power to recent 4.6 litre GTs
For those who are die hard V8 people.... look what Nissan did with the V6 in the GT-R and what Ford has done with the Eco Boost V6 in the F 150. There was a lot of skeptasism on putting a V6 in a full size truck, but now it's the most requested engine.
A V6 eco boost may be in the future Mustangs.
I think the V8 could be on it's way out.
That would be cool to get a V6 Ecoboost Mustang. You just can't get the same sound as a V8 though!

Quick Reply: 2015 or 2014?