2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2014 V6 + performance package top speed/driveshaft issues

Search this Thread

Old 2/16/14, 11:53 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Go ahead and get a GT shaft and put it in your V6, you will need a GT axle flange to hook it to the rear axle, but the bolt holes are already in the floor pan to bolt the center support bearing up.

Oh yeah, you will also need to lengthen it as the V6 shaft is longer...OOPS! Plan busted!

I have a brand new take off GT shaft sitting here if anyone wants to try it.
Old 2/16/14, 12:38 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Rodimus_prime
just change the shaft and remove the limiter, who cares about debating endlessly ford's motives, the problem was known years ago and the solution is already out there....
Very true. Just tune and one piece. Done deal
Old 2/16/14, 01:18 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
You're right, it's a pointless argument...just frustrating, that's all.

I really didn't want to have to swap drive shafts before tracking it. I probably won't need it at first anyways...but having it fail will always been in the back of my mind, especially approaching triple digits.
Old 2/16/14, 01:34 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Originally Posted by Joeywhat
You're right, it's a pointless argument...just frustrating, that's all.

I really didn't want to have to swap drive shafts before tracking it. I probably won't need it at first anyways...but having it fail will always been in the back of my mind, especially approaching triple digits.
On a lot of tracks you'll be fine with the limit at 112 particularly at first. I track my 2014 GT TP, and I've only gotten to ~125 so far. It takes a pretty long straight to go over 120 even in a V8. So you may be fine with the stock shaft and limiter in place. Might be worth while to install a safety loop just in case though, particularly if you decide to up the limit. This of course depends on where you track the car.

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 2/16/14 at 01:37 PM.
Old 2/16/14, 01:37 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
On a lot of tracks you'll be fine with the limit at 112 particularly at first. I track my 2014 GT TP, and I've only gotten to ~125 so far. It takes a pretty long straight to go over 120 even in a V8. So you may be fine with the stock shaft and limiter in place. Might be worth while to install a safety loop just in case though, particularly if you decide to up the limit.
Yeah, from what I understand the track doesn't allow you to get too fast, so it shouldn't be an issue. I may install a loop, although if I get an aftermarket shaft I won't really be that concerned.
Old 2/16/14, 02:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
Go ahead and get a GT shaft and put it in your V6, you will need a GT axle flange to hook it to the rear axle, but the bolt holes are already in the floor pan to bolt the center support bearing up.

Oh yeah, you will also need to lengthen it as the V6 shaft is longer...OOPS! Plan busted!

i would think the only thing needed to swap is the drive shaft and the pinion yoke. everything else should be the same.
Old 2/16/14, 02:14 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by southcarolina12
i would think the only thing needed to swap is the drive shaft and the pinion yoke. everything else should be the same.
Except that IT IS SHORTER, as I stated.

But hey, if you don't believe me then I am more than willing to sell the GT shaft that I have and ship it to you. I have $100 in it, will take that for it plus the shipping.
Old 2/16/14, 02:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Except that IT IS SHORTER, as I stated.

But hey, if you don't believe me then I am more than willing to sell the GT shaft that I have and ship it to you. I have $100 in it, will take that for it plus the shipping.
im not saying i dont believe you. im just trying to figure out why it would be shorter. is it not the pinion yoke sticks out farther or is that transmission sitting further up?
Old 2/16/14, 02:19 PM
GTR Member

im not saying i dont believe you. im just trying to figure out why it would be shorter. is it not the pinion yoke sticks out farther or is that transmission sitting further up?
Engine and transmission on the V6 sits further forward in the chassis, about two inches.

You could make it work but would need a spacer to go between the transmission flange and the front driveshaft flange.

Was planning just that but sold my '12 V6 and didn't need it anymore.

Last edited by Ltngdrvr; 2/16/14 at 02:22 PM.
Old 2/16/14, 02:53 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

The GT driveshaft will not fit into the v6 model from what I have been told. Different length.
Old 2/16/14, 03:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

Engine and transmission on the V6 sits further forward in the chassis, about two inches.

You could make it work but would need a spacer to go between the transmission flange and the front driveshaft flange.

Was planning just that but sold my '12 V6 and didn't need it anymore.
sounds like more trouble than it would be worth and would probably end up costing close to the same as a light weight aluminum drive shaft.
Old 2/16/14, 03:39 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue
The GT driveshaft will not fit into the v6 model from what I have been told. Different length.

Old 2/16/14, 03:43 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Lmao
Old 2/16/14, 03:44 PM
GTR Member

sounds like more trouble than it would be worth and would probably end up costing close to the same as a light weight aluminum drive shaft.
Probably $100-$150 to get a machine shop to make the spacer, $100 for my GT shaft, $40 for my GT pinion flange, $75 probably for shipping.

So, $365 to put the GT shaft in, good to at least 155 mph, heavier than aluminum but quite a bit less $$$.

As I said, I was going to do it, but when the car went away so did my need.
Old 2/16/14, 03:55 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Probably $100-$150 to get a machine shop to make the spacer, $100 for my GT shaft, $40 for my GT pinion flange, $75 probably for shipping.

So, $365 to put the GT shaft in, good to at least 155 mph, heavier than aluminum but quite a bit less $$$.

As I said, I was going to do it, but when the car went away so did my need.
I have never heard of anybody putting a GT shaft in a V6. Not saying it can't be done but I wouldn't gamble and take the chance it won't fail from machine shop messing something up. I would just spend the extra 300 dollars for an aluminium driveshaft that's designed too fit perfectly into the V6 model.
Old 2/16/14, 04:46 PM
GTR Member

Each to his own.

Not much for a machine shop to mess up, just a solid piece of steel with holes machined into it.
Old 2/16/14, 05:30 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Each to his own.

Not much for a machine shop to mess up, just a solid piece of steel with holes machined into it.
Oh, I got ya. Maybe it would work. I never heard anyone doing that.
Old 2/16/14, 09:21 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
Yep, nothing has changed. Ford spokeswoman said that if you want to go faster you should buy the V8. I thought that was a terrible answer and a slap in the face, but seems like the only way to go faster in the V6 is to get a one piece drive shaft and a tune to remove the limiter.
But she was 100% correct.. if you want to go faster and keep your warranty (as she would not recommend mods) you would go ahead and get a V8

A stock 11 plus v6 with 3:31 gears will run almost identical or maybe within 1 to 2 tenths behind a 2010 Gt but its not performance oriented. Bull crap.
Where did you get that "fun fact" from?
when one year later the 11 V6 came out and provided the same performance results.
This one cracked me up too where did you get that one? LOL

Last edited by fdjizm; 2/16/14 at 09:26 PM.
Old 2/16/14, 09:31 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by fdjizm
But she was 100% correct.. if you want to go faster and keep your warranty (as she would not recommend mods) you would go ahead and get a V8
She might be "correct", but if she told you to go buy a Focus if you want to go faster, you might have a different attitude about it.

The reality is that the compact (and I believe sub compact) economy minded Ford vehicles are able to attain a higher top speed, modified or stock.

A Toyota Camry has a higher stock limiter...
Old 2/16/14, 09:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bro, totally agree. Funny how the 11 plus 3.7's have nearly the equal power of 2010 Gt's yet people don't think of them as performance vehicles because of its v6 engine. Funny how the engine determines if a car is performance oriented yet puts down 1/4 mile and 0-60 mph times almost equal to 2010 Gt models.

The 11 plus v6 performance package comes with Gt suspension, high speed rated 19 inch radial tires like the Gt , 3:31 gears like many 2010 Gt models. 10 less HP compared too a 10 GT yet its not considered too be a real performance vehicle so that's why the driveshaft is not as good. That's insane and crap. A stock 11 plus v6 with 3:31 gears will run almost identical or maybe within 1 to 2 tenths behind a 2010 Gt but its not performance oriented. Bull crap.

Yes the Gt provides a higher level of performance compared to the V6 model but that doesn't mean the V6 model is what it was 10 years ago. People buy them because the car delivers amazing power and performance, great looks, handles well all for thousands less than a GT. Not everybody wants or needs a 420 HP car too drive too and from work and Wal Mart.
Very well put, Kona. I don't feel a bit of shame when I tell people there's a V6 under my hood. I know that, if I had the notion, it could run away from a sizeable percentage of cars on the road. I'm OK with that. It runs like a pickle seeder, handles like a champ, and doesn't beat me to death at the gas pump or the insurance office. 3.7's rock!

Quick Reply: 2014 V6 + performance package top speed/driveshaft issues