Search this Thread

Old 2/9/14, 08:57 AM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by future9er24
How long have you had that shift ****? Because it is teh awesome
Came with the shifter

Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown
Awesome. Now you and Nathan both have blue *****.
yeah, pretty much.
Old 2/9/14, 11:50 AM
Legacy TMS Member Pr

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Old 4/28/15, 06:36 PM
NTTAWWT

So I'm coming up on 5 years with the car, so I decided it's time to start working on it again. it's got a long *** way to go including desperate need for paint (have considered wrapping it for a couple years), but I started with some wheels. AM finally started carrying silver Saleen wheels again, so I bought a set.

I thought I'd try them out, and I'm glad I did. Guess I'll need to find some steering rack spacers here so they don't rub on the frame. Looks awesome though, and I've got a bonus bit of cool for the calipers behind. I also want to find some reasonably priced center caps. Even some plain silver ones would be great.

Old 4/28/15, 07:31 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Ooh I like!!
Old 4/29/15, 04:43 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Coming together nicely!
Old 4/29/15, 07:33 PM
NTTAWWT

Yep. Long ways to go though!
Old 5/2/15, 11:43 AM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
those wheels look best in silver IMO

can't wait to see it with some rubbah
Old 5/3/15, 09:58 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
David just grab a set of 3/16" slip over spacers. They're a lot easier to source versus the steering stop spacers. You can pick them up from Amazon for cheap! I did 1/4" on my old '00 when I put the Cobra wheels on, but I was running a square setup and had 1" spacers bolted on the rears, so the 1/4" made the front and rear equally flush to the fenders.
Old 6/14/15, 04:47 PM
NTTAWWT

So yesterday was just a huge pain in the ***. I wanted to get home from my vacation and swap the wheels on and go. I should have known better.

I got the front end up on stands, then noticed something a bit odd, the sway bar wasn't connected to anything. The top end had just snapped off somewhere. fortunately the local parts store had a pair, so I replaced them both with new ones (forgot pics, second one is what the factory ones are supposed to look like).

After the 2-3 hours in blazing hot sun fixing that (and having to call a buddy over to hold one of the end links in place so I could actually get both sides connected, I realized that the steering rack had some funky clamps holding on the dust boot, so I couldn't get the rack limiters placed on. After looking it over, the tires only touch the control arm on full lock, so I'm going to drive it very limited keeping that in mind until I can really look at the boots (when I get it up on a lift for the alignment).

Finally got the front "finished" up, and put the backs on easily enough, went driving around the neighborhood and everything was fine. Get out on the highway and immediately notice a problem. I've got a wicked shimmy over 40mph. I'm not really sure what it is. I checked the lugs again, they were all tight. Not sure if it's a wheel severely out of balance, maybe the end links not situated right (they're tight, I might need to check again though), or just a bad alignment made worse by the wider tires.

Never an easy project with this car.
Attached Thumbnails Big Dave's Sonic Blue Mustang Thread-sway-bar-end-link-broken.jpg   Big Dave's Sonic Blue Mustang Thread-sway-bar-end-link-normal.jpg   Big Dave's Sonic Blue Mustang Thread-wheels.jpg  

Last edited by StangMahn; 6/14/15 at 04:49 PM.
Old 6/14/15, 06:53 PM

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Big Dave's Sonic Blue Mustang Thread

Originally Posted by StangMahn
So yesterday was just a huge pain in the ***. I wanted to get home from my vacation and swap the wheels on and go. I should have known better.

I got the front end up on stands, then noticed something a bit odd, the sway bar wasn't connected to anything. The top end had just snapped off somewhere. fortunately the local parts store had a pair, so I replaced them both with new ones (forgot pics, second one is what the factory ones are supposed to look like).

After the 2-3 hours in blazing hot sun fixing that (and having to call a buddy over to hold one of the end links in place so I could actually get both sides connected, I realized that the steering rack had some funky clamps holding on the dust boot, so I couldn't get the rack limiters placed on. After looking it over, the tires only touch the control arm on full lock, so I'm going to drive it very limited keeping that in mind until I can really look at the boots (when I get it up on a lift for the alignment).

Finally got the front "finished" up, and put the backs on easily enough, went driving around the neighborhood and everything was fine. Get out on the highway and immediately notice a problem. I've got a wicked shimmy over 40mph. I'm not really sure what it is. I checked the lugs again, they were all tight. Not sure if it's a wheel severely out of balance, maybe the end links not situated right (they're tight, I might need to check again though), or just a bad alignment made worse by the wider tires.

Never an easy project with this car.
That's how things always seem to go. Looks good though!
Old 6/14/15, 07:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
I know what you mean about things not going as planned!! What should have a 30minute process turned into a 60 min ordeal due to heat and a clutch cable that wanted to fight me on its bracket!!

I love the way your mustang is looking! Very clean!

For the shimmy it's most likely a wheel or wheels out of balance

Last edited by Jim74656; 6/14/15 at 07:46 PM.
Old 6/14/15, 09:01 PM
NTTAWWT

My clutch cable was a big pain too.

Idk how the wheels could be out of alignment. They're brand new and were balanced when the tires were put on.
Old 6/15/15, 08:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

well it may or may not be an alighnment issue but evidence (the wobble) says something is not right with the car...

has the car ever been in ANY type of collision? wobble isnt something that "just happens" on its own with out some other force or action occureing (IE wheels being off balance or not correctly balanced) is there any other items/parts missing or loose? you stated that you were missing a art (and showed it in the pictures above)...im just going through process of elimination with this as a person who is a DIY/mechanic...

Sorry if it sounds like im trying to bust ***** here, just trying to be logical on this...

on a side note if you want to check out my build thread I have dome some updating, and will be doing some upgrades like what you got soon too

Last edited by Jim74656; 6/15/15 at 08:41 PM.
Old 6/16/15, 07:16 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Looking good! You'll get past the issues soon all it takes is time and money ha!
Old 6/16/15, 07:11 PM
NTTAWWT

Originally Posted by Jim74656
well it may or may not be an alighnment issue but evidence (the wobble) says something is not right with the car...

has the car ever been in ANY type of collision? wobble isnt something that "just happens" on its own with out some other force or action occureing (IE wheels being off balance or not correctly balanced) is there any other items/parts missing or loose? you stated that you were missing a art (and showed it in the pictures above)...im just going through process of elimination with this as a person who is a DIY/mechanic...

Sorry if it sounds like im trying to bust ***** here, just trying to be logical on this...

on a side note if you want to check out my build thread I have dome some updating, and will be doing some upgrades like what you got soon too
Oh yeah, it was destroyed some years back, and subsequently rebuilt. Been fine for an entire set of tires. I think it's something simple, it only comes about over 45mph or so. The end link for the sway bar snapped in two, it happens, but you can drive without a sway bar if you want, so I really don't think it's a big deal. I'll wait until the end of next week and limp it over to my mechanic. I'll get it up in the air and take a look, see what he thinks, get it lined up, and put on the steering rack limiters at the same time.
Old 6/16/15, 07:14 PM
NTTAWWT

Since the pic doesnt seem to exist anymore, this happened Valentines Day 2011. Lady turned left through some traffic without looking, I was doing 30 and she pulled out 30-40 ft from me.

Car was fine from the firewall back, they cut the nose off a rear-ended one to act as a donor for mine. Not perfect, but fine for now.

Old 6/16/15, 07:39 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 592 Likes on 425 Posts
Try putting your old wheels and tires back on and see if the shimmy is still there. Won't take long to swap and it'll eliminate one variable as to what is going on.
Old 6/16/15, 09:40 PM
NTTAWWT

Hadn't thought about that. I'll try it out this weekend when it's not 105* outside.
Old 6/16/15, 10:31 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts

Just needed a little redneck logic
Old 6/17/15, 05:28 AM
Mach 1 Member

Wow, glad you are ok, is the other persons insurance going to pay?

Quick Reply: Big Dave's Sonic Blue Mustang Thread