Go Back   The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums > Mustang by Model Year > 2005-2009 Mustang > 05-09 Modifications > 05-09 Interior and Audio Mods
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Welcome to The Mustang Source!
Welcome to The Mustang Source,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 7/26/11, 12:36 PM   #1

How to Custom Paint Interior / Under Hood

Hi there,
I have a 06 Black Mustang GT with black and red interior. I just came back from Mustang Week in Myrtle Beach and seeing all those Stangs has made me want to customize my car REAL bad lol. A lot of cars had different components of their engine and interior painted to match their car's colors. I was just wondering if someone could tell me the pieces of my car that are "easily" customizable? Like which parts could I paint myself to give it a unique look? I've seen a few cars around these forums and they look great!

I was also wondering how you went about painting them. What kind of paint, how hard the process was etc? Any tips would be great! Thanks!
GTfromMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7/26/11, 6:42 PM   #2
Cobra Member

Charles

Custom painting interior and engine bay stuff is actually pretty easy, just a little imtimidating the first time.

If you want to use the same color as your exterior, Dupli Color makes most and can be bought at your local auto store. Dupli Color also has a brake caliper paint kit, uses a paint brush so you can easily do it. In the engine bay the temperature can get quite high, Ive used regular rattle can paint and then used high temp clear coat with no problems in some areas. Dupli Color also has a good selection of high temp colors.

As for how to do it, I just sand the piece with 400 grit sand paper, optional adhesion promoter, thin then medium layers of paint, correct anything with 1600 sand paper, then clearcoat it. Make sure to let it dry, the longer the better.
-2013 Shelby GT500- 702/683 RWHP/TQ, Race Red with Black Stripes, Performance Package, Track Pack, SCT with Lund Tune, Lethal O/R X-pipe, JLT CAI, Ford Racing SCJ Throttle Body, FRPP 3.73s, BMR Adjustable Panhard, BMR Adjustable LCAs with Relocation Brackets, Redline Hood Struts, Roush Side Splitters, JLT CC, 11" Wide Rear Wheels With NT05R 315/35-20s, Spec ST-Trim clutch.
-2013 Roush Stage 3- 6MT, 3.73s, (Upgrades from Stage 3-Performance Brakes, Vent Boost Gauge, Interior Package, 20" Wheels, Hood Struts, Coil Covers, Window Louvers, Door Sills, Shifter Ball, Billet Pedals) Lethal O/R X-Pipe, Remote tuned by Jon Lund.
-2006 Mustang GT, Torch Red- 3.55 gears 5MT, C&L CAI, SLP Powerflo X-Pipe, SLP Powerflo Axle-Backs, MGW STS, FRPP Springs.
Planeswalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8/2/11, 3:35 PM   #3
Bullitt Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planeswalker View Post
Custom painting interior and engine bay stuff is actually pretty easy, just a little imtimidating the first time.

If you want to use the same color as your exterior, Dupli Color makes most and can be bought at your local auto store. Dupli Color also has a brake caliper paint kit, uses a paint brush so you can easily do it. In the engine bay the temperature can get quite high, Ive used regular rattle can paint and then used high temp clear coat with no problems in some areas. Dupli Color also has a good selection of high temp colors.

As for how to do it, I just sand the piece with 400 grit sand paper, optional adhesion promoter, thin then medium layers of paint, correct anything with 1600 sand paper, then clearcoat it. Make sure to let it dry, the longer the better.
Would you go Adhesion Promoter + Primer + Base Coat? Or skip the primer with a Promoter?
Old 8/3/11, 5:58 PM   #4
Cobra Member

Charles

Ive done it every way...and no problems either way. The main things is cleaning it perfectly. I mainly use primer to make sure the paint color turns out right.

Did this recently with my '06, was just messing around and did this with almost no prep, so it can only look better.
Attached Thumbnails
How to Custom Paint Interior / Under Hood-rsz_img_0067_-_copy.jpg  
-2013 Shelby GT500- 702/683 RWHP/TQ, Race Red with Black Stripes, Performance Package, Track Pack, SCT with Lund Tune, Lethal O/R X-pipe, JLT CAI, Ford Racing SCJ Throttle Body, FRPP 3.73s, BMR Adjustable Panhard, BMR Adjustable LCAs with Relocation Brackets, Redline Hood Struts, Roush Side Splitters, JLT CC, 11" Wide Rear Wheels With NT05R 315/35-20s, Spec ST-Trim clutch.
-2013 Roush Stage 3- 6MT, 3.73s, (Upgrades from Stage 3-Performance Brakes, Vent Boost Gauge, Interior Package, 20" Wheels, Hood Struts, Coil Covers, Window Louvers, Door Sills, Shifter Ball, Billet Pedals) Lethal O/R X-Pipe, Remote tuned by Jon Lund.
-2006 Mustang GT, Torch Red- 3.55 gears 5MT, C&L CAI, SLP Powerflo X-Pipe, SLP Powerflo Axle-Backs, MGW STS, FRPP Springs.
Planeswalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8/8/11, 7:22 PM   #5
Supporting Vendor

Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planeswalker View Post
Ive done it every way...and no problems either way. The main things is cleaning it perfectly. I mainly use primer to make sure the paint color turns out right.

Did this recently with my '06, was just messing around and did this with almost no prep, so it can only look better.
thats looks really cool. ive painted my chin spoiler with rattle cans and i used bulldog adhesion promoter, its also a primer. makes paint stick good to plastic. i would think it would be good for anything plastic. heres a pic of the can, the texture and trim paint are what i used on the spoiler. ive been temped to paint the centers of my int door panels
Attached Thumbnails
How to Custom Paint Interior / Under Hood-dscf1799.jpg  
05 V6 4.0 auto,the"V6inator" stainless jba h pipe dual exhaust, gt takeoff mufflers, stainless shortie headers, demon coil and livewires, jlt cai, sct/ bama 93 octane street race tune, under drive pulley, 7.5 t-lok, 3.73 gears, upr chrome molly upper/lower rear control arms, shaftmasters, tci ratchet shifter, 17"x 8" and 9", 255/50, 275/50 nitto 450 extreme performance tires

visit the website: www.amustangrocksleather.com
Mike@amustangrocksleather.com
amustangrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8/8/11, 7:35 PM   #6

Ron

The secret is good prep and cleaning. I used an adhsion promoter, black metalic base coat and a metal clearcoat on all the plastic parts.(shaker engine cover, rad cover, fuse cover, coolant tank top, brake and PS tank tops, CAI inlet tube.
Here's a pic.
Attached Thumbnails
How to Custom Paint Interior / Under Hood-final-2011-look-009.jpg  
Lil' Cindy is LLR #0696

2006 GT Vert, Premium with charcoal leather(no side air-bags), Interior Upgrade Package, 17" Premium wheels, Active Anti-theft - 1 of 7.

She was conceived Aug 2, 2005, born Sep 13, 2005 and taken home Oct 25, 2005.

Since then, has undergone many performance, handling and apperance mods.

When life throws you limes...drive one!
Ronnie06LLGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8/8/11, 7:35 PM