05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Racing Stripe Tips....

Search this Thread

Old 10/20/06, 08:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Racing Stripe Tips....

Hey Folks

I've seen that many of you have installed racing stripes. THEY ALL LOOK GREAT! I am eager to get some soon ........ after winter that is . I would like as much input/tips as I can get from you folks that installed them yourselves.

Please pass on your wisdom.

First of all, how did you guys manage to align the stripes so perfectly?

Thanks in advance!!!!
Old 10/21/06, 05:55 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Baltimorestreetmods.com will send you (or on web page) instructions with the stripes you'll order and just do it!!
Put your ride in a garage, have enough and clear light, be two persons to install on hood it helps and take your time don't stress...
Use a lot of solution (decribed in instructions) it's easier for a top alignement.
It was the first time i did it and i don't regret, it will work!
Good luck!
Old 10/21/06, 07:21 AM
Bullitt Member

My advice is to consider having them painted. I was going with vinyl but once I started looking into I felt like painting was a better option for me based on durability and quality. It is not for everyone but at least worth a pros/cons assesment.
Old 10/25/06, 11:51 AM
Cobra Member

I did my stripes myself, also from Baltimore Street Mods, they turned out exactly like I had planned. There are a few spots that require a little patience to make the vinyl lay down properly and it does take some time, but you'll be pleased with it when it's all done.
Old 10/25/06, 02:04 PM
Bullitt Member

never done anything like it before, but I ordered mine from BSM and the instructions were clear. took about 5 1/2 hours, but I'm very particular.
Old 10/25/06, 08:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

Keep the comments coming......
Thanks to those that have already commented.
BTW, please attach a photo of your car with the stripes.

Thanks!
Old 10/25/06, 09:36 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I have the BSM kit as well. Took me over 10 hrs spread out over several days, but if I did it again I could to it in a fraction of that. I went through a lot of solution as well. The bumpers are the toughest part, the hood and roof are the easiest.

I don't regret it, a great mod for only $120. Much cheaper than the 700-$800 a local shop wanted for doing it in vinyl. I debated for a long time, and decided to save myself the money and do it myself. Turned out great and I saved big bucks and actually enjoyed it.

The S197 looks so much better with stripes, IMO.

Last edited by Hatchman; 3/7/08 at 05:09 AM.
Old 10/25/06, 10:33 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by sts767
My advice is to consider having them painted. I was going with vinyl but once I started looking into I felt like painting was a better option for me based on durability and quality. It is not for everyone but at least worth a pros/cons assesment.
i know it's not for everyone because of the price, but i agree. i had white vinyl stripes on my 2000 ZX2 and they faded bad(factory stripes from Ford too) and they chipped and peeled back very easy. after that i'm not doing vinyl again. next spring when i get the Stang back out it will be getting either some Satin Silver or Alloy Grey stripes.
Old 10/26/06, 12:26 AM
Bullitt Member

I think that the racing stripes really look great on the S197... not trying to burst your bubble, but just remember you have to "earn" those racing stripes every day (i.e. people assume you're going to take them at every light...it's also "eye candy" for the local gendarme similar to "arrest me red" color)...keep that in mind...
Old 10/26/06, 05:09 AM
Bullitt Member

Mark is right, after 15 years of no tickets it took be about a week of having the stripes to get pulled over for speeding.
Old 10/26/06, 07:10 AM
Bullitt Member

any tips on doing the spoiler. seems like I am having problem with wrinkles? thanks
Old 10/26/06, 07:34 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Here are some write-ups I did when installing my stripes.
I used Baltimore Street Mods 12" Glossy White Shelby Stripes.
ROOF
HOOD
REAR DECK, SPOILER & VALANCE
FRONT BUMPER (By FAR the hardest piece)

Best tip I can give you is TAKE YOUR TIME, and have some patience. An extra set of hands is VERY helpful as well, although I had no help on mine.

I would recommend getting them painted on if you have the money and time to have it done right. They will last longer and look better. Eventually I will have mine painted.

Attachment 12666
Attached Thumbnails Racing Stripe Tips....-09-23-06014background.jpg  
Old 10/26/06, 08:18 AM
Bullitt Member

It took me a couple of days, taking my time. This was my second install using BSM stripes. Follow their instructions and you shouldn't have any problems but if you do Rob at BSM has great customer service.

Attachment 12671

Attachment 12672
Attached Thumbnails Racing Stripe Tips....-mustang1.jpg   Racing Stripe Tips....-mustang2.jpg  
Old 10/26/06, 08:53 AM

kirby, thanks for serving our country. how do you like the loudmouths?great looking stang.
Old 10/26/06, 09:02 AM
Bullitt Member

Darwin, Thanks, I love the Loudmouths!! They remind me of how muscle cars sounded back in the late 60's and early 70's when I was a kid. I may get some LT headers with high flow cats and if I do I'm not sure what they will do to the sound.
Old 10/26/06, 08:46 PM
GT Member

The advice I would give is to use a hair dryer when laying out the front and rear bumper due to the amount of wrinkles. When the stripes dry they will stretch. Use the squeege (sp) to press out the wrinkles. Use the dryer sparingly because you do not want the rest of the peice to dry too quickly before you have had the chance to press out the wrinkles. At first I could not get the wrinkles out because I tried to do it in 50 deg weather. The dryer definately made the job easier. Just be patient and it will come out perfect.

Also for the alignment part, instead of just laying out the tape I used a string to mark the center of the hood and then put the tape over it.
Old 10/27/06, 08:57 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I did the BSM Vinyl at first then had them painted. Getting them painted on is definately the way to go for the long-term. IMHO, painted look better as they have a nice shine to them and you cannot feel them if they are cleared correctly. Another nice thing about painted is that you can fully customize the size of the stripes and gaps.

I would suggest starting with the vinyl first as it will allow you to make sure you like how it looks and also allow you to change it up if you want. The BSM kit is simple and straight forward. Took me a weekend to do mine, and you will want a hair-dryer as the front bumper is a pain.
Old 10/27/06, 09:46 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I too went the BSM route the first time trying to save money. I had an installer do it and for whatever reason my vinyl began to peel. I then had them painted and now wish I would have just painted them to begin with. Here are pics of vinyl and then painted after I did the Shelby conversion.
Attached Thumbnails Racing Stripe Tips....-stripes-001.jpg   Racing Stripe Tips....-06gtpics-001.jpg   Racing Stripe Tips....-stripes-010.jpg   Racing Stripe Tips....-06gtpics-007.jpg  
Old 10/27/06, 10:15 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Alloy 07 RN
Hey Folks

I've seen that many of you have installed racing stripes. THEY ALL LOOK GREAT! I am eager to get some soon ........ after winter that is . I would like as much input/tips as I can get from you folks that installed them yourselves.

Please pass on your wisdom.

First of all, how did you guys manage to align the stripes so perfectly?

Thanks in advance!!!!
TacoBill, another TMS member, did a great write-up on his stripe install.
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showpo...postcount=1324
Old 10/27/06, 10:27 AM
Mach 1 Member

Is the hair dryer used only to dry it? or does it stretch it or shrink it?

Quick Reply: Racing Stripe Tips....