GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Installing GT500 Fuel Pumps

Search this Thread

Old 1/14/10, 05:58 PM
dly
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Installing GT500 Fuel Pumps

The question I have is when I install the GT500 pumps do I need to remove the KB Bap or leave it on. I'll be running a 3.4 pulley on the Saleen Sc'er with 39lb injectors. I'm at 430rwhp now(3.6 pulley) and going to Brenspeed to get a custom Dyno tune in the spring.

Thanks
Old 1/15/10, 04:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you're going to up the power later then just keep it on. You'll need a KB BAP sooner or later.
Old 1/15/10, 11:51 AM
Bullitt Member

I would remove it and sell it to recoup some of the costs from the GT500 fuel pumps. The GT500 fuel pumps are good up to 600-650 rwhp depending on a few things.
Old 1/15/10, 09:27 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
+1, you don't need it for what you're doing. The GT500 system is plenty and very reliable.
Old 1/16/10, 06:40 AM
GT Member

The GT500 system is plenty and very reliable
Very reliable when they are working. Had two separate failures with that system. Each time one pump failed, causing lean conditions.
Old 1/16/10, 11:28 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by forensicsteve
Very reliable when they are working. Had two separate failures with that system. Each time one pump failed, causing lean conditions.
Than the pumps were being used beyond their means.
Old 1/16/10, 02:26 PM
GT Member

pumps were being used beyond their means.
Oh yeah. How did you arrive at that sole conclusion, to the exclusion of other possibilities?

No...went briefly from 2 pump supply to one. Switched to Fore triple pump system as boost was increased.

Last edited by forensicsteve; 1/16/10 at 02:38 PM.
Old 1/16/10, 09:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Let's be realistic, we could all understand one set of GT500 fuel pumps failing but another set. Do you know how little of a possibility there is for that? Unless something was either done wrong or they were being used out of their means. I guess you were just really unlucky right or is it that everyone else is so lucky that their GT500 fuel pumps work? How much power and boost was the car making at the time?

Last edited by NastyStang113; 1/16/10 at 09:38 PM.
Old 1/17/10, 05:41 AM
GT Member

I guess you were just really unlucky right or is it that everyone else is so lucky that their GT500 fuel pumps work?
Don't know. Only know one other with GT500 pumps locally and he has not had a failure. One of the failures was electrical. Don't know what contributed to other one (could even have been similar issue). The two problems were not related and occurred at least a year apart. We had a different tuner back then. We were at 16-18 lbs boost (added 2 single KB baps and boost-a- spark). It was decided the duals were not enough and went to triple pumps as boost went up to 22 lbs. Car was bouncing about at launch, pulling both front wheels up. May have contributed to electrical problems. Certainly one of our goals this season, is a more horizontal launch (energy waisted pushing car up instead of forward). Also not that many cars launch off a t-brake. It's violent and shocks many areas of the vehicle.

Also they are way more things breaking on modded cars than are reported. You hear more about the good stuff happening than the bad. You visit moddedmustangs and read chevykiller's adventures with his amazing build. He makes the extra effort to report the bad news along with the good news. Don't usually get that.

Last edited by forensicsteve; 1/17/10 at 07:45 AM.
Old 1/17/10, 11:45 AM
Bullitt Member

Don't know. Only know one other with GT500 pumps locally and he has not had a failure. One of the failures was electrical. Don't know what contributed to other one (could even have been similar issue). The two problems were not related and occurred at least a year apart. We had a different tuner back then. We were at 16-18 lbs boost (added 2 single KB baps and boost-a- spark). It was decided the duals were not enough and went to triple pumps as boost went up to 22 lbs. Car was bouncing about at launch, pulling both front wheels up. May have contributed to electrical problems. Certainly one of our goals this season, is a more horizontal launch (energy waisted pushing car up instead of forward). Also not that many cars launch off a t-brake. It's violent and shocks many areas of the vehicle.

Also they are way more things breaking on modded cars than are reported. You hear more about the good stuff happening than the bad. You visit moddedmustangs and read chevykiller's adventures with his amazing build. He makes the extra effort to report the bad news along with the good news. Don't usually get that.
What do you mean it was electrical? What happened? If it was electrical than it sounds like it wasn't really an issue with the pumps. Maybe it was an issue with the way the KB BAPs were installed. I think it's slim and none possibility that those issues were caused by the car bouncing. Personally, I think you see more of the negative than the positive things online. If someone has a problem with a tuner, they are quick to jump online and bash them. If someone has a good experience, most of the time they just expect that kind of service so they see no need to post about it. Just my opinion though..
Old 1/17/10, 11:56 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by NastyStang113
What do you mean it was electrical? What happened? If it was electrical than it sounds like it wasn't really an issue with the pumps. Maybe it was an issue with the way the KB BAPs were installed. I think it's slim and none possibility that those issues were caused by the car bouncing. Personally, I think you see more of the negative than the positive things online. If someone has a problem with a tuner, they are quick to jump online and bash them. If someone has a good experience, most of the time they just expect that kind of service so they see no need to post about it. Just my opinion though..
Do you build GT500 pumps for a living? It's not personal. His pumps failed and that's what happened. End of story.
Old 1/17/10, 12:11 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Guys, let's try to keep this on track for the OP. The reason why I said they were reliable was

1) because I used them on my 06 and had zero issues

2) because I haven't heard of many pump failures on the factory GT500 cars
Old 1/18/10, 12:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Bullitt995
Do you build GT500 pumps for a living? It's not personal. His pumps failed and that's what happened. End of story.
It's not personal but if you're going to post information than you should explain why or how they failed so others can learn from it. Nothing else to it.
Old 1/18/10, 08:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

It's not personal but if you're going to post information than you should explain why or how they failed so others can learn from it. Nothing else to it.
So they can personally engineer the pumps better? A failure is a failure. Now if a pump burned out due to user error, that's a different story.
Old 1/18/10, 08:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Bullitt995
So they can personally engineer the pumps better? A failure is a failure. Now if a pump burned out due to user error, that's a different story.
Are you agreeing with me? That's my point. We always need the whole story to know if it was a bad part or if it was user error otherwise it's worthless. I could say Bob's motor blew up and he was running a Whipple with a Brenspeed tune. That doesn't tell someone that Whipple's make cars blow up. It doesn't tell someone that Brenspeed's tunes make cars blow up. It doesn't tell us much at all. Right?

Last edited by NastyStang113; 1/18/10 at 08:45 PM.
Old 1/19/10, 05:06 AM
GT Member

I report on what is going on, has happened (good and bad stuff), is being planned on the car. It's an R&D vehicle. For example, how many S197s do you know that have a powerglide transmission. Don't do any of the mechanical stuff...not my area of expertise at all (fortunately I am very knowledgeable in other areas...so I can pay for all for this modding...lol). Don't ever post on how to install or fix car stuff.

So for Nastystang113...I surrender to your superior knowledge and skills regarding automobile stuff. If my posts are not sufficiently technical for you...I invite you to ignore them and move on. Maybe there exists a very specific mod position that you can apply for, that would allow you to police the forums and make sure that every post "always covers the whole story" to your satisfaction.

Last edited by forensicsteve; 1/19/10 at 05:51 AM.
Old 1/19/10, 08:57 AM
Bullitt Member

I report on what is going on, has happened (good and bad stuff), is being planned on the car. It's an R&D vehicle. For example, how many S197s do you know that have a powerglide transmission. Don't do any of the mechanical stuff...not my area of expertise at all (fortunately I am very knowledgeable in other areas...so I can pay for all for this modding...lol). Don't ever post on how to install or fix car stuff.
So you're just saying you can't answer the question but decided to try to dish out insults? Good job, you got me!
Old 1/19/10, 10:20 AM
Mach 1 Member

Are you agreeing with me? That's my point. We always need the whole story to know if it was a bad part or if it was user error otherwise it's worthless. I could say Bob's motor blew up and he was running a Whipple with a Brenspeed tune. That doesn't tell someone that Whipple's make cars blow up. It doesn't tell someone that Brenspeed's tunes make cars blow up. It doesn't tell us much at all. Right?
You can't prove what went wrong most of the time. I'm guessing you've never blown anything up.
Old 1/21/10, 11:59 AM
V6 Member

Hey Nasty, when are comin 'to Jersey so I can race your ***?????
Old 1/22/10, 06:00 PM
GT Member

ohhh Techo VS Rouch.........
Attached Images
File Type: bmp
smiliefan.bmp (3.6 KB, 154 views)