Go Back   The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums > Mustang by Model Year > 2005-2009 Mustang
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

2005-2009 Mustang
S197 Discussion & News

Welcome to The Mustang Source!
Welcome to The Mustang Source,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 2/27/05, 05:01 PM   #1
Team Mustang Source

Ryan

Garage
Did a search and didn't see anything, so figured I'd post it in case anyone hasn't found them yet...

If you got wheel locks, and can't find the key, check in the trunk, down with the spare tire - that's where mine were.

Thought it was strange - usually they are in the glove box. Just glad they were there - wouldn't be too fun to get the wheels off without the wheel lock key.

Current Mods: 18x8.5-inch fanblades, K&N filter, Ford chrome exhaust tips, 35% tint, WebElectric Sequential Taillights
RMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2/27/05, 05:26 PM   #2
Bullitt Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RMac@February 27, 2005, 3:04 PM
-wouldn't be too fun to get the wheels off without the wheel lock key.
I didn't order the wheel locks only because I have had experienced more hassles with getting the locks off when needed (granted this has been over the last 20 years or so). Anything from a stripped lock to a lost key has made it hard to change a tire. :bang:

How do the new ones work? Key in the lug wrench socket etc...? Hopefully the design has improved since I last had to remove one.
Edelbrock E-Force Supercharged 466HP/437TQ
Magnaflows / Eibach ProKit / Big brakes.
"Respect the power and you'll live longer"

Factory ordered: 2/17/05 // Delivered: 4/6/05
Supercharged on 7/3/2011. I've created a monster.
John SCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2/27/05, 07:47 PM   #3
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Thanks for the info Ryan.....
Fanblades w/ BFG 255 KDW (NT) Tires
Borla S-Type (Stinger) Axle Back
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2/27/05, 09:19 PM   #4
Mach 1 Member

Send a message via AIM to maucoin65
Don't forget to carry at least one of the unused regular lugs with the lock key. Not supposed to use a locking lug nut on the little wheel (per the instructions).
Old 2/27/05, 09:55 PM   #5
Team Mustang Source

Ryan

Garage
Good tip.

Actually, the wheel lock key is in a bag with the four unused "normal" wheel lugs. I haven't seen that before... a nice surprise.

Current Mods: 18x8.5-inch fanblades, K&N filter, Ford chrome exhaust tips, 35% tint, WebElectric Sequential Taillights
Old 2/28/05, 11:38 AM   #6
Cobra Member

Send a message via AIM to Badsnke98
Quote:
Originally posted by John SCB+February 27, 2005, 6:29 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(John SCB @ February 27, 2005, 6:29 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-RMac@February 27, 2005, 3:04 PM
-wouldn't be too fun to get the wheels off without the wheel lock key.
I didn't order the wheel locks only because I have had experienced more hassles with getting the locks off when needed (granted this has been over the last 20 years or so). Anything from a stripped lock to a lost key has made it hard to change a tire. :bang:

How do the new ones work? Key in the lug wrench socket etc...? Hopefully the design has improved since I last had to remove one.
[/b][/quote]

Throughout the years, I also have found them to be more of a pain and would not have ordered them. The salesmen knowing how we feel about the 05, asked did we want the locks installed and I said "No I do not want them on the wheels." My $.02 worth.
Badsnke98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2/28/05, 01:16 PM   #7
GT Member

An earlier thread on this subject determined that the car is shipped without the wheel locks and that they are then installed during Pre-Delivery Inspection (PDI) at the Dealership. Some people were given the 4 extra lug nuts and some were not. I did not get the extra lug nuts. My key lock was in a plastic bag in the glove box. Location of the key locks depends on the TECH who performed the PDI.
GIZMOTOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2/28/05, 01:19 PM   #8
I don't give a ****.
TMS Staff

I didn't order wheel locks because I lost the key from my 2003 Jeep liberty wheel locks and found that all you need to do it put a socket that fits snug over it, hit it once with the rachet and then you can loosen them off. If someone wants your rims this will only slow them down a few seconds at most.
adrenalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2/28/05, 05:12 PM   #9
Mach 1 Member

My dealer said I had no choice, and that they where being shipped that way. Guess he was full of bull, or didn't know they where put on during the PDI. Doesn't matter, I wanted them anyway.

I know they are easy to take off, but they still slow people down.

FYI: Anybody can buy a universal wheel lock kit. We have one at work, and can remove any wheel lock, as well as any locking wheel cover. It's for when people loose their keys, the lugs or bolts get stripped, or when we can't find the customers key, and we need to get a wheel off.

Sonic05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2/28/05, 05:23 PM   #10
Team Mustang Source

Ryan

Garage
Really, when it comes down to it, if someone wants to steal your wheels, they will.

I usually don't bother with wheel locks... got my GT off the lot, and it had them already.

Old 2/28/05, 09:15 PM   #11
Bullitt Member

Mine were in the bag when I picked up the car. Had to put them on myself, but that made sure that I got to keep the spare lug nuts, so
Manual Tranny
Bullitt Wheels
Stubbies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2/28/05, 09:42 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally posted by RMac@February 28, 2005, 6:26 PM
Really, when it comes down to it, if someone wants to steal your wheels, they will.
I usually don't bother with wheel locks... got my GT off the lot, and it had them already.
Ditto.
I guess every $50 added to the MSRP adds up for Ford and its' dealers, on an in-demand car, with a relatively slim profit margin.
When I got home, I had to call my sales rep to get the original lugs, that were taken off during PDI. As others have noted, the instructions say that the wheel lock lugs are not for use with the steel wheel spare tire.
walc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3/1/05, 07:47 AM   #13
Cobra R Member

Kahdir

Garage
Located mine in the glove bax w/ the original lugs...
Old 3/1/05, 07:47 AM