1964-1970 Mustang Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Define "Restomod"?

Search this Thread

Old 6/24/04, 10:34 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Restomod" seems to be a mostly Mustang-related term. How would YOU define the word to a "non-Mustang" person?????

(PS: This thread is linked to another board - there will be outsiders watching our answers... )
Old 6/24/04, 11:10 AM
Jay
Mach 1 Member

Personally the word Restomod is like nails on a chalk board for me. It is nothing but a marketing term at this point and has become clouded on what it actually entails. A guy will stick a Custom Autosound head unit in his car with a dual dash speaker and call it a restomod as he leans on his hump hugger console.

Besides the term is actually a registered trademark of a vendor I would prefer giving no business to, based on their outrageous prices and gouging of people not in the know on where many of these parts are sourced from:

HOT ROD / STREET ROD industry.

That's right, we're doing nothing but Hot Rodding cars from the 60's. There are even better words than hot rodding I'm sure but it's all the same. Modifications are modifications, if they smack you over the head or if they are inside the glove box.

The problem is not what is stock and what is not, but rather what is tasteful and what is not....
Old 6/24/04, 11:49 AM
Cobra Member

Restomod (res'-tow-mod) n. <Lat. Restomodia> 1. The act or habit of altering a motorvehicle in such a way as to increase performance, reliability, style, or comfort exceeding the original manufacturer's design. 2. A method by which impotent or otherwise personality-challenged owners gain respect from similarly lacking individuals within the community.
Old 6/24/04, 12:00 PM
Cobra Member

Charles Turner, is that you?
________
Roll a joint

Last edited by LMan; 8/20/11 at 07:27 AM.
Old 6/24/04, 12:13 PM
Cobra R Member

LOL, Mber. Always the grumpy stocker. btw, I would also argue that personality comes out in the modifeid car alot more than a stock-as-a-rock show car, but I'd rather not turn this into a which is better discussion.

Jay makes some great points. I too have become a little beaten down by the application of restomod and it's association with said parts dealer (gouger). That said, it is still a decent term, and it says alot.

Non-Fordophiles, especially in the GM camp refer to it as Pro-Touring or G-Machine. While it has a basis in open track and road course racing, it has a firm foundation of upgrading to modern technology and often has an accent on comfort and streetability. For instance, you will often find a pro-touring car with 17-18 inch wheels and a 600hp+ engine with 5 or 6 speed manual tranny, but it'll be loaded with sound deadener, comfortable modern seats and a killer stereo. Sound familiar?

Just for reference:
http://www.pro-touring.com/

Just to sum up for my personal definition, Restomod means to take a classic car, update functional components with modern technology while not modifying the appearance so much that it no longer resembles the classic that you started with. For instance, it would be totally "restomod" to shave the emblems and door handles to smooth out and accent the classic lines, but it would be crossing the line into "custom" to chop the top.
Old 6/24/04, 12:38 PM
Cobra Member

Careful how you throw around the stocker term. Why, I'll have you know I have aftermarket tires on my car.

and 15x7 wheels, and cam, and dual exhaust, and CD/MP3 player, and Infinity speakers, and bc/cc urethane paint. See, I'm just as guilty as others and my weewee works just fine.
Old 6/24/04, 12:41 PM
Team Mustang Source

IMO,

Restomod is an extremely broad term used to identify cars that are a combination of "restoration" and "modification". That ratio can be as much as 99:1 either direction, so the vast majority of 30-40 yearold cars end up fitting within that classification.

To me, car must be 99.7% bone stock/concours restored to avoid the restomod tag. 3 changes or more (even mild ones listed below), and it's not "stock".
A mild restomod can be mostly restored, with only a few modifications - mostly in the name of modern safety - headlight upgrades, electronic ignition, modern brakes, radial tires, etc..... All but the most informed enthusiasts would think that they are "stock".
Radical restomods can also appear to be "restored" to the untrained eye, but have numerous modifications/modernizations - fuel injected engines, 6-speeds, large diameter wheels, modern interior appointments, etc...
At the far end of the spectrum, any car that has visible "engineered modifications" (wheel tubs, radical bodywork, etc) becomes a true "modified" car.

See? 99% of classic Mustangs are "restomods"! :scratch:

Then we have all the sub-classes - concours restomod, day 2 restomod, clonomod.......
Old 6/24/04, 12:41 PM
Jay
Mach 1 Member

BTW I don't see why Pro-Touring has to be a GM term. Last year while I was hitting a few shows with my car I had tons of Ford and GM guys telling me how much they like my Pro-Touring Mustang. The stinkin' Restomod term only came up a few times by guys who obviously burry their heads in magazines containing articles on where to make chalk marks on your differential and how to get the blue tint on your grill.

There's a whole other scene of cars that get critisized all the time for only having bolt-on or glue on modifications ... that's what the watered down definition of Restomod means from what I gather here.

If a book is being written with the Restomod theme, it's gonna come out really weak in comparison to the GM Pro-Touring book as far as vehicle quality goes.

There are Pro-Street Mustangs ... there are also Pro-Touring Mustangs. I'd have no reason to buy a Restomod Mustang book ... that's way too easy to find in plain Vanilla Mustang Magazines and the catalogs.
Old 6/24/04, 12:42 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by Mberglo@June 24, 2004, 1:41 PM
Careful how you throw around the stocker term. Why, I'll have you know I have aftermarket tires on my car.

and 15x7 wheels, and cam, and dual exhaust, and CD/MP3 player, and Infinity speakers, and bc/cc urethane paint. See, I'm just as guilty as others and my weewee works just fine.
Congratulations! You just built a "concours restomod".....
Old 6/24/04, 01:05 PM
Cobra Member

Hey, if we're writing a book, the World needs to know about "Dairy Queen Concours" B)

Concours is not just "stock". It's about Autolite and Rotunda stampings, date codes, chalk marks etc. Most of us just can't quite justify paying 2x-5x just to have the stamp, when only the Show Judges are going to know the difference. I built my car so that the nice folks at Dairy Queen (general population) would think it was stock. The mods I do incorporate are subtle, almost stealthy.

I come from a StreetRod family, where the wilder the better. And in pre-'49 cars, you must upgrade drivetrain/suspension/brakes in order to navigate the 70mph highways of today. You really have no choice. Pony cars and musclecars, on the other hand, can operate just fine in stock form as daily drivers. Granted, stock form won't get you a high performance auto, but it won't get run over in traffic either. I find it interesting that so many people are StreetRodding their Mustangs. They're replacing/upgrading things that really don't need upgrading. I call it "modification for the sake of modification". Serpentine belts are a good example. They really offer no real improvement, yet people will spend their time and money retrofitting because it's "kewl".

Just observations. Not judging anyone....really. I like the kewl cars as much as anyone.
Old 6/25/04, 09:53 AM
Bullitt Member

I always thought that Restomod meant a Mustang that looked somewhat stock in appearance, but had many modern modifications to it.
Old 6/25/04, 12:09 PM
Bullitt Member

I don't think that by just putting in modern equipment into a car can define it as a resto-mod. A new sound system, new engine, or just minor changes shouldnt cause a car to be considered a resto-mod. A resto-mod is when the feel, attitude, or look of the car is changed a lot. Like this one that I found on eBay, this is a resto-mod http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...2482394762&rd=1
Old 6/25/04, 12:29 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by 6t7 stang@June 25, 2004, 1:12 PM
I don't think that by just putting in modern equipment into a car can define it as a resto-mod. A new sound system, new engine, or just minor changes shouldnt cause a car to be considered a resto-mod. A resto-mod is when the feel, attitude, or look of the car is changed a lot. Like this one that I found on eBay, this is a resto-mod http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...2482394762&rd=1
I've got to disagree with you on that one. That car is highly modified, and I would say that it is modified way past the Restomod term. Street rod or all out custom, yes. Maybe even hot rod.
Old 6/25/04, 12:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

I think that car is waaaayyyy to radical to be called a "resto-mod". I tend to agree with the other guys that it's more along the lines of looking almost stock but having been upgraded for power, reliability and comfort.

The yellow car is highly modified and looks to only have the shell left of the original car.

BTW.......... HOLY EARLY 90'S WHEELS, BATMAN!!!
Old 6/25/04, 01:38 PM
Bullitt Member

Yea, I never said that I liked that car, but I just think that it could be an example of taking the term "resto-mod" to an extreme. I mean, if you took away the flares around the wheels, it would look like a plain shelby clone from the outside. And yes, this is a far extreme, but I dont think by updating the power, reliability, comfort, etc. it should be called a resto-mod, but rather just "modernized" or updated.
Old 6/25/04, 03:46 PM

Hey guys,

Thanks for the continued effort to define Restomod.

It seems (as a whole) that there are not any "real" defined guidelines.

What I know to be true from what you have posted here...
1. Restomod is an actual term.
2. The car has to be modified with at least an updated stereo.
3. The car has to be a car.

They should have named me General!

I'm sure there is more to a definition. Can you guys help me out? Is there a more appropriate term to call a Ford that has upgraded brakes, suspension, engine, transmission, and safety equipment? A car built for driving on the street and on a road course occasionally... ?

Tony Huntimer
RaceHome.com

P.S. The yellow Ebay Mustang... I don't know what to say about the wheels. I'm beside myself.
Old 6/25/04, 04:32 PM

I think the Restomod term "started" as a description of the kind of cars I love. Classic cars upgraded with newer safety and performance parts in a stealthy way, so most people don't even realize it's been upgraded when looking it over. I love the brake, handling and engine upgrades that make those old beautiful cars ride and run so nice that they aren't such a big trade off with modern cars.

But lately when people say Restomod, they are using it to describe highly modified cars with a lot of highly visable changes where there is no doubt the car is far from anything factory.
Old 6/25/04, 08:46 PM

Originally posted by TonyHuntimerRaceHome@June 25, 2004, 3:49 PM
Hey guys,

Thanks for the continued effort to define Restomod.

I'm sure there is more to a definition. Can you guys help me out? Is there a more appropriate term to call a Ford that has upgraded brakes, suspension, engine, transmission, and safety equipment? A car built for driving on the street and on a road course occasionally... ?

Tony Huntimer
RaceHome.com
Pro-Touring or G-Machine!
Old 6/25/04, 08:57 PM
Cobra Member

on a road course occasionally... ?
We call those track-******. Respectfully, of course.
Old 6/27/04, 09:15 AM
Jay
Mach 1 Member

I don't think an occasional run on the track would justify the term "*****" ...

Quick Reply: Define "Restomod"?