Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Rear Blackout

Search this Thread

Old 10/13/09, 09:59 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear Blackout

I love the look of my magnetic blackout so I've been looking around to have vinyl applied so it is more permanent. All the shops I've checked will not remove the faux cap but simply cut around it. There will be about 1/8" of body color showing aorund the cap with this method. I even went to the Ford body shop and they said they wouldn't remove the cap. I'm to chicken to go prying on my car to remove it myself and from what I've read it is a real pain to do. What's your opinion on how the gap will look? I've seen rallies with the gap that look alright but never seen it with a blackout panel.
Old 10/13/09, 10:37 AM
Cobra R Member

The gap would look silly in my opinion. Why can't they just cut the hole smaller and then tuck it behind the faux cap, just like the magnetic blackout does?
Old 10/13/09, 10:55 AM
Mach 1 Member

What about painting instead of vinyl? The area is small so it should cost that much.
Old 10/13/09, 11:15 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by ksguy73
I love the look of my magnetic blackout so I've been looking around to have vinyl applied so it is more permanent. All the shops I've checked will not remove the faux cap but simply cut around it. There will be about 1/8" of body color showing aorund the cap with this method. I even went to the Ford body shop and they said they wouldn't remove the cap. I'm to chicken to go prying on my car to remove it myself and from what I've read it is a real pain to do. What's your opinion on how the gap will look? I've seen rallies with the gap that look alright but never seen it with a blackout panel.
Guess all those sexy curves on the rear end are comin back to bite ya now, huh? There should be more options in the next year. I had my '05 painted by the local ford dealer and I thought it looked pretty good. I was having a scratch on the rear quarter repaired anyway (someone had keyed the car) so I just had them do that at the same time. On the bullitt, I did a carbon fiber panel that eliminates the badge. But of course, my butt is flat and square.
Attached Thumbnails Rear Blackout-dsc03449.jpg   Rear Blackout-dsc04789.jpg  
Old 10/13/09, 11:41 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by smitty
Guess all those sexy curves on the rear end are comin back to bite ya now, huh? There should be more options in the next year. I had my '05 painted by the local ford dealer and I thought it looked pretty good. I was having a scratch on the rear quarter repaired anyway (someone had keyed the car) so I just had them do that at the same time. On the bullitt, I did a carbon fiber panel that eliminates the badge. But of course, my butt is flat and square.
Phil, that looks great on the Bullitt! Kind of like the stuff they sprayed on the back of the actual Bullitt movie cars so that you couldn't see the camera car's reflection.

Kinda nice having a flat and square butt! However, Ford does offer a blackout panel from the factory on 2010 Mustangs that looks pretty good. I've been ordering more and more of our '10 GT's with them (also includes the side scoops and window louvers). Makes a great contrast on the lighter colored cars, IMO.
Old 10/13/09, 01:25 PM
Bullitt Member

The outer ring is just foam with the 2 sided tape is more in the middle. If you use some fishing line you can start to work the gas cap loose and then use a plastic spatula to pop it off. There are two guide pins located in the 12 and 6 oclock locations with the two retainers at the 3 and 9 oclock position. You won't be able to get the fishing line past these 4 points. The trick is to apply a constant force with the spatula and it will slowly release on it's own. The plastic spatula will also not scratch the paint.

It's not as hard as you'd think.
Old 10/13/09, 03:52 PM
Cobra R Member

the removal has apparently been done before...

Old 10/13/09, 04:37 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Interesting. It may be the resolution, but the area where the emblem WAS looks photo shopped to me. Any pics of this car from the front?
Old 10/13/09, 04:58 PM
Bullitt Member

I will more than likely go with painting if I can't get removing the badge worked out. I don't like the looks of the factory '10 cover from the pictures I've seen. I actually like the concave face on the trunk and that eliminates it.

Originally Posted by mwilson7
The outer ring is just foam with the 2 sided tape is more in the middle. If you use some fishing line you can start to work the gas cap loose and then use a plastic spatula to pop it off. There are two guide pins located in the 12 and 6 oclock locations with the two retainers at the 3 and 9 oclock position. You won't be able to get the fishing line past these 4 points. The trick is to apply a constant force with the spatula and it will slowly release on it's own. The plastic spatula will also not scratch the paint.

It's not as hard as you'd think.

This makes it sound pretty easy. How about removing all the tape that will be left stuck to the car?
Old 10/13/09, 05:24 PM
Bullitt Member

I will more than likely go with painting if I can't get removing the badge worked out. I don't like the looks of the factory '10 cover from the pictures I've seen. I actually like the concave face on the trunk and that eliminates it.

This makes it sound pretty easy. How about removing all the tape that will be left stuck to the car?
They're going to have to remove it to paint it, of course if a body shop can't handle that...I guess they'd be out of business.

I agree about the concave face. Reminds me of some of the 60's Stangs.
Old 10/13/09, 07:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

That black car is a bit too plain/uniform looking, but I bet it would look amazing at evening/night!
Old 10/13/09, 09:11 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
Interesting. It may be the resolution, but the area where the emblem WAS looks photo shopped to me. Any pics of this car from the front?
No, It's not photoshopped.

Also...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUVbR10T9p0
Old 10/13/09, 09:50 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
That thing looks *evil*.
Old 10/13/09, 09:54 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Five Oh Brian
Phil, that looks great on the Bullitt! Kind of like the stuff they sprayed on the back of the actual Bullitt movie cars so that you couldn't see the camera car's reflection.

Kinda nice having a flat and square butt! However, Ford does offer a blackout panel from the factory on 2010 Mustangs that looks pretty good. I've been ordering more and more of our '10 GT's with them (also includes the side scoops and window louvers). Makes a great contrast on the lighter colored cars, IMO.
Thanks, Brian. And it matches the wheels pretty close. It's almost invisible in certain light.
Old 10/13/09, 09:59 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by 2010MustangGT
No, It's not photoshopped.

Also...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUVbR10T9p0
Omg. That thing is SO badass. The CHP would have a field day with it though lol. It needs the lower plastic painted, bigger/wider wheels, a drop and black chrome exhaust tips then it would be perfection!
Old 10/13/09, 10:35 PM
Cobra R Member

Here's a few more of his updated version... Pretty sick

Also KSGUY... I read on another forum: "I had my faux gas cap removed from my 2010 and the problem was there was three holes and on top of that there's a mound that protrudes from the trunk. The place I got it done at had to cut the whole mound out and then they refilled the opening and made it flat"

So you're just looking to take it off and put back on, shouldn't be too problematic? MWilson gave a good description... Or, since you spoke about painting, look for custom car shops in your area to take it to- they'll probably take it off or tape it off and proceed to paint. Seeing you're in Vegas I'd imagine there has to be a few out there?
Old 10/13/09, 10:58 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oh man, to me he ruined the car with those gaudy hood pins. and the rear louvers.

now back on topic
Old 10/14/09, 12:17 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by stangfoeva
Oh man, to me he ruined the car with those gaudy hood pins. and the rear louvers.

now back on topic
Old 10/14/09, 08:18 AM
Bullitt Member

Any tar/bug remover will remove anything that is left. As was stated elsewhere though there is a flat surface behind the cap so just removing it and painting over it doesn't really work. I'm amazed that a real body shop wouldn't remove it as it's pretty easy. I think it's easier than the 05-09 car as there is less tape holding it on.

One other thing is that I'd recommend using the spatula on the top or bottom. Coming in from the sides probably won't work to well based on the shape.

Last edited by mwilson7; 10/14/09 at 08:26 AM. Reason: added info on spatula location
Old 10/14/09, 08:19 AM
Bullitt Member

I don't get why there would be a gap if they knew 'how' to do it...

As for smoothing it out completely...
Attached Thumbnails Rear Blackout-pw65.jpg  
Attached Images