05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Street Scene center fog light grille review

Search this Thread

Old 6/21/06, 06:26 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up Street Scene center fog light grille review

First off I would like to thank Mike from Street Scene for providing me with this sample.
Street Scene uses the same OE style injection molding and honeycomb pattern of the stock Mustang GT grille. The grille uses the same hole pattern and mounting for the fog lights as the factory grille. Since they mold the piece in the same color and texture of the factory grille shell it looks like it is from the factory.

Right out of the box I was impressed. Not only did the box hold up through the shipping process but the grille was wrapped in foam and bubblewrap.

The tabs were protected by Styrofoam. Nice job guys

Now on to the grille. Here are some pics out of the box. The quality of this grille is excellent. It has the same texture that the stock grille has.

Included with the grille are installation instructions and 2 extension cables. Very well made and even wrapped in wire loom.

Now for the install, but first I have to remove the KSR center grille. Before doing that let me show you some pictures of a few issues I had with the KSR grille. Since I will be comparing it to the Street Scene one. I have one of the earlier mustangs (2004) so I have noticed some fitment issues others have not seen. Here you see where I had to actually grind the crossmember because the KSR grille caused the foglights to sit too far back.

Even after doing this I still could not get the grille to fit properly (notice the gap in the rad cover). I even lost a clip after a week due to the poor fit.

Well now that I removed that grille lets compare them all (before the rain starts again)

Here are some pics comparing the stock grille, KSR and Street Scene
Right away you will notice that the Street Scene grille does not recess the fog lights as far back as KSR does. The fog light placement on the Street Scene grille is also a little closer together than the KSR.

As for the texture I was talking about….check this out (sorry I took them so close)

Stock Grille

Street Scene

KSR

Since the KSR is not textured, every little flaw shows up.

Time to install the grille. Mounting is easy, using the same hardware from the factory grille. No drilling, cutting or splicing into the wires is required. This is an easy mod you can do in about 30 minutes. The fog lights mount to the grille with no issues. The mounting locations line up perfectly and are pre-drilled. All you need is a Torx #20 screwdriver for the screws. I installed the fog lights, connected the extension cables and snapped the grille into place.

Here you can see that there are no issues with the fog lights touching anything.

The final result…..

I cannot tell you guys how impressed I am with the quality of this grille. Street Scene took their time on this one and it really paid off.
Old 6/21/06, 06:35 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well it looks to be a little bug-eyed to me but the quality seems to be there. The extensions for the wiring harness are a big plus! Thanks for the info and the pictures.
Old 6/21/06, 06:37 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adrenalin - man thanks for such a high quality thread. I'm not interested at all in changing my grill, but I sure did enjoy the step-by-step, photos, and commentary you gave. GREAT JOB!
Old 6/21/06, 06:48 PM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Yeah the sticky outiness of it is not to my taste.
Old 6/21/06, 06:56 PM
NJ3
Mach 1 Member

So do the lights stick out further than the hood? In the photo they appear to.
Old 6/21/06, 07:00 PM
Big Falken Tires

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DOOD! That looks pretty sweet John!!

IS SS selling these now or is this an advance sample???
Old 6/21/06, 07:37 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Originally Posted by NJ3
So do the lights stick out further than the hood? In the photo they appear to.
I will take a better pic tomorrow, but no, they do not stick out further than the hood, but they do stick out about 3/4" further than the KSR grille. I will take measurements as well.
Old 6/21/06, 07:38 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Originally Posted by Burke0011
DOOD! That looks pretty sweet John!!

IS SS selling these now or is this an advance sample???
This was a sample, but I am pretty sure they will start shipping in the next week or two. I will confirm this for ya and let you guys know.
Old 6/21/06, 07:43 PM
Retired Tms Staff

I just zoomed in on the one picture for now so you can see how the fogs are set back a bit from the hood

Old 6/21/06, 07:56 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Anyone have a link for where to purchase this grille?
Old 6/21/06, 07:56 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks sweet!!! That is an awesome write up!!!!!!!!!!
Old 6/21/06, 08:13 PM
V6 Member

It looks really good but the honeycomb on the SS doesn't look as recessed as the others.
A 3/4 view will help alot.
I'm also concerned about the hood hitting the fogs when I slam it shut.
Old 6/21/06, 08:33 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
WOW!
Awesome pics and write-up, John! You get an A+ for all the side by side comparisons and especially the close up pics of the texture. Well done!!

I'll be the first to admit when I think a company has done a good job on a product (but that's because I'll also speak my mind when they screw up) and although I don't like how the fogs stick out, it looks like they HAD to do it that way for clearance. Otherwise I'm very impressed with the product especially the stock texture. Way to go SSE.

And kudos for including the wiring harness extension. Now if I could just talk Mike into selling me one... or even just the connectors because I can't find a supplier that will just sell 2 sets by themselves. Belive me I've looked... a LOT!
Old 6/21/06, 08:34 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

i now that SS is already selling them, their site has them and i think 05stangkc will get you a better price and has them in stock
Old 6/21/06, 08:41 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Originally Posted by Kenichi Mifune
It looks really good but the honeycomb on the SS doesn't look as recessed as the others.
A 3/4 view will help alot.
I'm also concerned about the hood hitting the fogs when I slam it shut.
As you can see in the pics above, the hood does not hit the lights and yes, the honeycomb is not as recessed as the factory grille.
Old 6/21/06, 09:04 PM
NJ3
Mach 1 Member

I like it and the harness extensions. Great write-up too.
Old 6/21/06, 09:08 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Great write up, comparison, and pics. I really like that grill, just wish the lights weren't quite out as far.
Old 6/22/06, 04:17 AM
V6 Member

Guys I have been waiting and waiting for a no-nonsense center fog grille. Please let me know who is taking orders...Excellent job Adrenalin.....Thanks
Cheers!
Irish
Old 6/22/06, 07:11 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Right now, the Street Scene center mount grille kit will only available for the GT, but they are working on a V6 version as well. I heard that the kit is going to retail in the $200-$275 range but that has not been confirmed (up to the retailers). I have been told they should be available by mid July. I am sure some dealers are currently taking orders but I do not know if anyone has these in stock yet.
Old 6/22/06, 09:20 AM

I've got this grille on my car as well and can confirm everything that was stated about the fit, the finish, the clearance, everything was perfect. I was a bit worried about how far the lights stick out, as others have posted, but honestly it's only when you lay them side by side that you even notice. They still sit behind the hood line and because it looks SO factory they don't look out of place at all.

One other thing to point out, they took the time to notch the top of the grille to allow for access to the light adjusters.... nice touch!

When Mike put mine on he told me that they'll be making a V6 part number as well so nobody gets left out on this one.

Now I'm going to keep bugging him for the same grille with a new location for the pony emblem!

John
Attached Thumbnails Street Scene center fog light grille review-sse-mustanggrille6.jpg  
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: Street Scene center fog light grille review