2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

NYT teases "future Mustang"

Search this Thread

Old 1/31/10, 08:49 AM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Here's a slightly bigger photo of that Taurus shot. I dunno, looking at that front end, looks more like a clay version of the Taurus than a new Stang?

Old 2/21/10, 12:47 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford needs to get a hell of a lot bolder in body style

First off, let me say that I love the engines coming out, but at the same time I can't stand the new Mustang design, especially the GT500. I'm sure many remember that God-awful blue custom Mustang someone did with the stupid curved front, that unfortunately we are now seeing for real. Don't even get me started on the rear end. WTF happened there. I've been a Mustang guy since 1986, but the current body is so disjointed in style compared to just a few years ago, that if I were in the market, I would probably go the Challenger first and Camero second. I feel Ford is trying to somehow "round" off a 2005 design that quite frankly, compared to imports, is a HUGE car. The styling has no flow anymore. In 2005, it was the classic blocky look. I have a 2006 GT that has been body modified to look like a bit like modern 67 Shelby with the forward hood/scoop intake and duck tail. It looks way more aggressive. I think Ford needs to produce a design that is aggressive and mean as hell, while looking completely modern. It's gotta be bold, but have style and flow and I just don't see this in the current model. Back in the late 60's to early 70's, Ford made some awesome designs along with the other car companies. Great, sexy folds and creases in metal, just were they needed to be. Now, I'm like.....the people in the design division need to have their pulses checked.
Old 2/21/10, 12:31 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by seaclam
First off, let me say that I love the engines coming out, but at the same time I can't stand the new Mustang design, especially the GT500. I'm sure many remember that God-awful blue custom Mustang someone did with the stupid curved front, that unfortunately we are now seeing for real. Don't even get me started on the rear end. WTF happened there. I've been a Mustang guy since 1986, but the current body is so disjointed in style compared to just a few years ago, that if I were in the market, I would probably go the Challenger first and Camero second. I feel Ford is trying to somehow "round" off a 2005 design that quite frankly, compared to imports, is a HUGE car. The styling has no flow anymore. In 2005, it was the classic blocky look. I have a 2006 GT that has been body modified to look like a bit like modern 67 Shelby with the forward hood/scoop intake and duck tail. It looks way more aggressive. I think Ford needs to produce a design that is aggressive and mean as hell, while looking completely modern. It's gotta be bold, but have style and flow and I just don't see this in the current model. Back in the late 60's to early 70's, Ford made some awesome designs along with the other car companies. Great, sexy folds and creases in metal, just were they needed to be. Now, I'm like.....the people in the design division need to have their pulses checked.
I'm not attacking whether you like the latest redesign or not since looks are subjective. But you criticizing the mustang for being too HUGE and saying you'd get a challenger first and a camaro second = fail.
Old 2/21/10, 03:19 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by stangfoeva
I'm not attacking whether you like the latest redesign or not since looks are subjective. But you criticizing the mustang for being too HUGE and saying you'd get a challenger first and a camaro second = fail.

Oh no, I'm not criticizing the car being too big, I'm saying trying to round off a big car the way they are doing it is messed up. I take issue with any car manufacturer that puts out a concept design of a sports car/muscle car that is usually far more bad-***, far more aggressive than what we end up getting. Case in point, one of the classic muscle cars,, the Pontiac GTO of the late 60's, early 70's.......One photo is a concept that they should have went with. It looks bad-*** and that front is intensly agressive and intimidating. What people got, which isn't bad, but is no where near as bad-***, agressive and intimidating. It's a question of the type of car your are building and it's audience. Sports cars and in particular, muscle cars are bought by guys and occassionaly, some hip girls. They are generally not bought by grandma and grandpa, let alone a good portion of the general public, looking for a practical, economcial Taurus or Camry. These cars need to be bold, almost bombastic designs, like they were originally. Bold, aggressive designs that say I'm a muscle car and I'm not making any apologies for it. I swear, whoever signs off on not going forward with some of these concepts and or toning down is a P-WHIPPED manager/CEO.
Attached Thumbnails NYT teases "future Mustang"-1999-pontiac-gto-concept-fa.jpg  
Attached Images  

Last edited by seaclam; 2/21/10 at 03:50 PM. Reason: additionion comment
Old 2/21/10, 07:34 PM
MOTM Committee Member

well most of the time the concepts are feasible to make on full scale production levels.
Old 2/22/10, 11:10 AM
V6 Member

Well, that's your opinion, which you're entitled to. I personally like the current S197 design.

I have no idea what the blue custom-designed Mustang you're talking about was, so I can't really comment on that -- nor have I seen your Mustang to comment on either. You should take into consideration that with current government-imposed restrictions and standards, it isn't always feasible to make the 'bad-***' look if it means you have no room to meet the federal requirements necessary to put a car into production. If your dash looks ultra-sleek, but has no room for air bags, then you obviously can't do that. Ford, in my opinion, created the best compromise possible between form and function -- as GM did with their Camaro, and as Dodge did with their Challenger. Now, don't get it twisted -- I'm aware the Challenger is huge and has the Charger interior, just as the Camaro is huge and has poor visibility. But they wanted a certain look, and they achieved it by making sacrifices elsewhere.

Congratulations on having an opinion, but I've seen many more people compliment the current style, rather than bash it.

On the subject of the GTO, however -- I agree completely with your first statement! They should have gone with the concept, absolutely! But as far as saying the actual GTO looks that bad-*** -- no. That fails on every level. It looks like a two-door Grand Am -- the GTO faithful deserved better than that.

Last edited by Texas Red; 2/22/10 at 11:13 AM.
Old 2/23/10, 04:18 AM
GT Member

The guy that posted the 2 orange cars that wants a different looking Mustang,,,,, the car on the left looks like a Firebird, the one on the right looks like the 2000's GTO, which disappointed the heck outta me. Neither one even looks like a STang. Don't you think a Stang oughtta look like a Stang?

I will say the right one would be improvement on the GTO if the point you were making was that the GTO should have more closely resembled your picture. Is that what you're doin?
Old 2/23/10, 10:40 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

It shall be fun to watch the 2014 story unfold!!
Old 2/23/10, 11:38 AM

I was wondering(hoping) if it was possibly a two door lincoln coupe. Perhaps I'm a little biased as a Mark VII owner but I'd really like to see something based off of the mustang platform and following the new Lincoln styling like the MKR concept.
Attached Thumbnails NYT teases "future Mustang"-lincoln_mkr_74_1920x1200.jpg   NYT teases "future Mustang"-lincoln-mkr-concept-01.jpg  
Old 2/24/10, 10:48 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Poolboy-'88 LSC
I was wondering(hoping) if it was possibly a two door lincoln coupe. Perhaps I'm a little biased as a Mark VII owner but I'd really like to see something based off of the mustang platform and following the new Lincoln styling like the MKR concept.

See, here's another perfect example. This is an awesome design that Lincoln has here. Make and make it right now. But instead, we'll see some weak, bastardized version of it. Who the hell cares if there are visability issues to a design. I'm not buying the car for that.

Last edited by seaclam; 2/24/10 at 10:49 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 2/24/10, 01:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

con•cept |ˈkänˌsept|
noun
an abstract idea; a general notion: structuralism is a difficult concept | the concept of justice.
• a plan or intention; a conception: the center has kept firmly to its original concept.
• an idea or invention to help sell or publicize a commodity: a new concept in corporate hospitality.
• In philosophy: an idea or mental picture of a group or class of objects formed by combining all their aspects.
[as adj. ] (of a car or other vehicle) produced as an experimental model to test the viability of new design features.

Last edited by zzcoop; 2/24/10 at 01:21 PM.
Old 2/24/10, 03:28 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

See, here's another perfect example. This is an awesome design that Lincoln has here. Make and make it right now. But instead, we'll see some weak, bastardized version of it. Who the hell cares if there are visability issues to a design. I'm not buying the car for that.
You don't care if you can't see out of it? My friend, the 2010 Camaro is the car for you.
Old 2/24/10, 03:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

Visibility? Who needs bells and whistles like that?
Old 3/5/10, 10:23 AM
Team Mustang Source

2014 Body Styles

Maybe they could have a Coupe, Fastback (hatch) and a Convertible?

1965-1993 had all three
1994-2014 just two
Old 3/5/10, 10:38 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by zzcoop
Visibility? Who needs bells and whistles like that?
Old 3/5/10, 01:21 PM
Cobra Member

I'd love to see this!

I just don't want pesky visibility getting in the way of "good" design!

Originally Posted by Topnotch

1965-1993 had all three
1994-2014 just two
Old 3/5/10, 01:23 PM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Topnotch

1965-1993 had all three
1994-2014 just two
A coupe would be cool to have.....as long as the fastback is a full fastback.

Old 3/5/10, 06:00 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Twin Turbo
A coupe would be cool to have.....as long as the fastback is a full fastback.

thats a great pic, BUT if you shorten the rear a little than you have one bad *** look.
Old 3/6/10, 08:16 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Hey..............that's not bad!!
Old 3/6/10, 08:37 PM
Cobra Member

Give it '69-style quarter windows and a slightly shorter trunk and we'd be good to go. Of course it'd be highly unlikely a true hardtop would make production in this day and age.

Personally, I think I'd style prefer a real fastback (or hatchback maybe) unless they just somehow managed to screw the looks of it up completely.

Quick Reply: NYT teases "future Mustang"