GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Need HELP quick. Car broke

Search this Thread

Old 1/6/10, 07:48 AM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Need HELP quick. Car broke

Ok guys I finally started to install my cams and last night when I was installing them the front LH cam tower broke. The cam was about a 1/8" to far forward. The buddy of mine helping me was doing that side and didn't notice it. Any way I need a LH cam front cam tower for my 08 GT. I'm going to call Ford and see how much they are.

Any help please.

Thanks
Chris
Old 1/6/10, 09:53 AM
GT Member

Ok well I'm pretty much SOL!!! I just called Ford and they don't sell them. They are head specific. So I don't know what to do.
Old 1/6/10, 12:12 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yup, they come with the cylinder head. Just goes to show that one little screw up can be very costly for us do it yourselfers. I hope you get it figured out!

Bob
Old 1/6/10, 12:34 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 1fastbob
Yup, they come with the cylinder head. Just goes to show that one little screw up can be very costly for us do it yourselfers. I hope you get it figured out!

Bob
I agree! Man this makes the like the old push rod motors so much better. I can build them with my eyes closed! LOL
Old 1/6/10, 01:06 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Explain what you mean by it broke? The aluminum casting of the head? During torque down of the bearing cap? Gotta pic?

Last edited by cdynaco; 1/6/10 at 01:08 PM.
Old 1/6/10, 01:07 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by H8IMPORTS
I agree! Man this makes the like the old push rod motors so much better. I can build them with my eyes closed! LOL
Funny... I feel the same way with OHC's...
Old 1/6/10, 01:43 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
Explain what you mean by it broke? The aluminum casting of the head? During torque down of the bearing cap? Gotta pic?
I didn't take a pic I should have. The cap broke in the front. The back and all is still good. Where the cap holds the cam down and the oil line is all still good. The cam has a made on washer the goes in the front cap that keeps the cam from moving front to back. The very front part of the cap broke off. It's hard to explain. I can see if I can get a pic of it. The car is still at my buddy's house.
Old 1/6/10, 01:50 PM
GT Member

Funny... I feel the same way with OHC's...
HAHA Yep that's funny. I have never build or torn into a OHC motor. This is my first. At least I'm not scared to do it anymore. I know what to do and what NOT TO DO!!! LOL
Old 1/6/10, 01:54 PM
Post *****

I didn't take a pic I should have. The cap broke in the front. The back and all is still good. Where the cap holds the cam down and the oil line is all still good. The cam has a made on washer the goes in the front cap that keeps the cam from moving front to back. The very front part of the cap broke off. It's hard to explain. I can see if I can get a pic of it. The car is still at my buddy's house.
Well that's better than the head casting. So Ford said you can't buy a separate 'thrust bearing cap'? That seems ridiculous.

If so, I'd start asking around for a QUALITY machine shop. Either they can possibly repair the existing (doubtful but without a pic I'm throwing the idea out there), or get a cap from a wrecked 3V (if Ford really can't get you one ), and then have the machine shop mic (& machine if necessary) the replacement for exactness to your broken one.

I've pulled off many an odd repair using a good machine shop. I like the 'old boys' because they have seen and done it, and aren't bound by 'but the book says'...

#2 & 21

Last edited by cdynaco; 1/6/10 at 01:56 PM.
Old 1/6/10, 02:46 PM
Post *****

Here's another idea... who did you buy the cams from? Maybe they can help get you a new thrust bearing cap...

Old 1/6/10, 03:58 PM
Post *****

I get it...

That really sucks because when the heads are assembled, the caps are installed and then line bored. The cam caps are just like main caps or connecting rod caps, they are specific to it's mate. As you are aware, you cannot just put a cap off of another head on it and expect it to work.

http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showt...st+bearing+cap

Although with today's advanced machinery, you'd think they'd be extremely consistent & precise from head to head.
I still think a good machine shop could pull off machining another one to match yours.

Or there's take off's of heads (ouch)...
http://www.newtakeoff.com/

Last edited by cdynaco; 1/6/10 at 04:08 PM.
Old 1/6/10, 04:33 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Find a good machine shop near you and have them chart the bearing cap and make you a new one. It is a piece of cake with the proper equipment. It is true that the caps are assembled on the heads and line bored which make all of them unique. But trust me a good machine shop can make a duplicate charted and machine for less the $250 bucks.
Old 1/7/10, 08:02 AM
GT Member

Well that's better than the head casting. So Ford said you can't buy a separate 'thrust bearing cap'? That seems ridiculous.

If so, I'd start asking around for a QUALITY machine shop. Either they can possibly repair the existing (doubtful but without a pic I'm throwing the idea out there), or get a cap from a wrecked 3V (if Ford really can't get you one ), and then have the machine shop mic (& machine if necessary) the replacement for exactness to your broken one.

I've pulled off many an odd repair using a good machine shop. I like the 'old boys' because they have seen and done it, and aren't bound by 'but the book says'...

#2 & 21
Number 21 is what I need. I may have found one but don't know yet. If so I'm going to install it and mike (how ever you spell it) it and see if it's close. If so I'm going to use it. Where did you get that pic from? If I could find a P/N Ford might be able to order me one. They can't order it because they havno P/N.

Here's another idea... who did you buy the cams from? Maybe they can help get you a new thrust bearing cap...

If you look at the pic. The part that broke is in the front towards the gear. Mine looks just like the one you have but the front of the cam cap is broke. It looks like a upside down C that just poped out the front. If I took a pic from the same angle on my car it would look just like the pic you posted.

Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER
Find a good machine shop near you and have them chart the bearing cap and make you a new one. It is a piece of cake with the proper equipment. It is true that the caps are assembled on the heads and line bored which make all of them unique. But trust me a good machine shop can make a duplicate charted and machine for less the $250 bucks.

I will have to try that. I will go around today at lunch and see what I can find out.

Thanks everyone for all the help!
Old 1/7/10, 12:23 PM
Post *****

Number 21 is what I need. I may have found one but don't know yet. If so I'm going to install it and mike (how ever you spell it) it and see if it's close. If so I'm going to use it. Where did you get that pic from? If I could find a P/N Ford might be able to order me one. They can't order it because they havno P/N.

If you look at the pic. The part that broke is in the front towards the gear. Mine looks just like the one you have but the front of the cam cap is broke. It looks like a upside down C that just poped out the front. If I took a pic from the same angle on my car it would look just like the pic you posted.

I will have to try that. I will go around today at lunch and see what I can find out.

Thanks everyone for all the help!
I got the schematic from the 08 Bullitt archive. The link has a list of numbers for the schematic but not part numbers:
http://www.08bullittarchive.com/bullittarchive1_020.htm

I assumed it was the front part of the thrust bearing cap. I don't know how hard your friend was tightening but perhaps it was a weak casting to begin with...

Depending on how clean it broke and how much of a piece you have, there's a chance a machine shop could re-attach with drill and tap - of course allowing free movement of the corresponding part of the cam. If that's possible, you'd have the same piece that was line bored at the factory.

I couldn't come up with any part numbers from a brief try, but you might try a note to 'Five Oh Brian' - he might be able to come up with a Ford part number for you.

Good luck!

Last edited by cdynaco; 1/7/10 at 12:29 PM.
Old 1/7/10, 12:30 PM
GT Member

I got the schematic from the 08 Bullitt archive. The link has a list of numbers for the schematic but not part numbers:
http://www.08bullittarchive.com/bullittarchive1_020.htm

I assumed it was the front part of the thrust bearing cap. I don't know how hard your friend was tightening but perhaps it was a weak casting to begin with...

Depending on how clean it broke and how much of a piece you have, there's a chance a machine shop could re-attach with drill and tap - of course allowing free movement of the corresponding part of the cam. If that's possible, you'd have the same piece that was line bored at the factory.

I couldn't come up with any part numbers from a brief try, but you might try a note to 'Five Oh Brian' - he might be able to come up with a Ford part number for you.

Good luck!
Thanks. I will have to ask him.
Old 1/7/10, 12:52 PM
Cobra R Member

I am glad you posted this, I think the $400 quote I got from a speed shop will be well worth the money.
Old 1/7/10, 02:33 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by traffic142
I am glad you posted this, I think the $400 quote I got from a speed shop will be well worth the money.

That is still pretty steep unless you are getting a custom dyno tune with it. Brenspeed did mine for $280 which is 4 hrs. labor @ $70/hr. They did them in 3-3 1/2 hrs. I watched.
Old 1/7/10, 07:26 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER
That is still pretty steep unless you are getting a custom dyno tune with it. Brenspeed did mine for $280 which is 4 hrs. labor @ $70/hr. They did them in 3-3 1/2 hrs. I watched.

I just got a quote from brenspeed for my car for cams. labor is $395 to install them. I am going to get them installed there when the weather straightens up here. I live in hamilton ohio which is about 30 minutes north of cincinnati. modular depot wanted $824 labor and cincy speed shop was $1999 for everything. I live a little over 4 hours from brenspeed but it looks like from the money i am going to save its worth the trip there.
Old 1/7/10, 08:03 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Green96GT
I just got a quote from brenspeed for my car for cams. labor is $395 to install them. I am going to get them installed there when the weather straightens up here. I live in hamilton ohio which is about 30 minutes north of cincinnati. modular depot wanted $824 labor and cincy speed shop was $1999 for everything. I live a little over 4 hours from brenspeed but it looks like from the money i am going to save its worth the trip there.
I'm right up the road from you in dayton. I would love to get cams installed.
Old 1/7/10, 09:14 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by mdun6
I'm right up the road from you in dayton. I would love to get cams installed.
i cant wait. i am pretty stoked about it.

Quick Reply: Need HELP quick. Car broke