Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

2006 Trailing Arms

Search this Thread

Old Today, 08:09 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 Trailing Arms

I have a 2006 Mustang GT (97k) that recently while driving feels like the back end is slightly swaying. Took it into a shop and they are suggesting that the adjustable trailing arms get replaced and are quoting me $440 each.

This seems a little bit higher than expected and please let me know your experience. Thanks in advance
Old Today, 08:25 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,542 Likes on 1,056 Posts
when they/you say "trailing arms" I assume they are talking about the rear lower control arms

they are widely available from both OEM and aftermarket sources ... below is one example -- the parts are around $100-200 per pair

generally you do not need the adjustable ones, unless you are super-critical about thrust angle or you have some other special requirement for adjustment

they are not hard to replace, you just need to be prepared to be working under the car and you need tools to be able to torque them properly, fairly high torque required

https://www.americanmuscle.com/mustang-control-arms-0510.html/f/?Subcategory=Control Arms&ta$69=Rear Lower

PS/Edit -- not sure why the link does not work; if you go to American Muscle and search for rear lower control arms for your car, you can find them

Last edited by Bert; Today at 08:27 AM.
The following users liked this post:
praztek (Today)
Old Today, 08:59 AM
GT Member

They are very adamant that it is a trailing arm and according to them OEM dealer costs were $550 a piece.

Last edited by praztek; Today at 09:16 AM.
Old Today, 09:04 AM
The Analog Admin!

Received 2,924 Likes on 2,151 Posts

https://www.fordpartsgiant.com/parts...z-5a649-b.html

Manufacturer Part Number 9R3Z-5A649-B, 9R3Z5A649B
Part Description Arm Assy - Rear Suspension
Other Names Lower Control Arm, Trailing Arm

Ford 9R3Z-5A649-B Arm Assy - Rear Suspension

2005-2010 Ford Mustang 9R3Z5A649B

Here Are Much Cheaper Versions!
https://www.rockauto.com/en/partsear...m=9R3Z-5A649-B
Bert (Today)
Old Today, 10:42 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by praztek
They are very adamant that it is a trailing arm and according to them OEM dealer costs were $550 a piece.
Trailing Arm = Lower Control Arm

These Ford Performance ones are basically upgraded OEM (better bushings) and they are $150 for the pair
https://www.americanmuscle.com/ford-...ms-0511gt.html

But I would go with one of the aftermarket ones, they are beefier

There is nothing else in the rear suspension that costs anywhere near $550/each, except maybe the differential and that is definitely NOT a "trailing arm." Maybe their price includes labor to install, but that is a lot of labor to put the car up on a lift and remove/replace 4 bolts. Each control arm is literally a two-bolt job -- one on each end.

I think I would go to a different shop -- that one is obviously trying to way over-charge you; apparently they can sense your ignorance (ignorance is not a bad thing, it just means this is all new to you) ... you could call around and see if any are willing to install the lower control arm that you provide. Shops that are willing to install customer-provided parts are usually great to work with; because they are willing to help you in any way they can, instead of just driving up their price.

Last edited by Bert; Today at 10:44 AM.
praztek (Today)
Old Today, 11:06 AM
GT Member

Thanks again everyone for the abundance of information.

​​​​​​Any issues going with the non-adjustable versus adjustable if the Roush rear lowering springs are installed?

https://www.americanmuscle.com/roush...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old Today, 11:36 AM
Legacy TMS Member

no you don't really need adjustable control arms due to lowering .... but;

if you used an adjustable panhard bar to re-center the axle under the car after lowering, the thrust angle might be off a little bit; this would be shown in a 4-wheel alignment

that very small thrust angle is not a big deal and you would probably never notice or know if the alignment didn't tell you .... but the only way to correct that, if you want it to be perfect, is with adjustable lower control arms .... and you need to pay an alignment shop for a custom alignment to get them to adjust it perfectly (some shops might include that in a "standard" alignment, but most do not expect to be required to adjust this, they assume there is no adjustment because from the factory there is no adjustment)

I track my car and my thrust angle was off a little (like they all are) and I never even noticed
Old Today, 12:20 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,157 Likes on 1,734 Posts
Originally Posted by praztek
Thanks again everyone for the abundance of information.

​​​​​​Any issues going with the non-adjustable versus adjustable if the Roush rear lowering springs are installed?

https://www.americanmuscle.com/roush...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
Unless your vehicle is lowered beyond 1.5" adjustable lower control arms are not really necessary... My 2006 GT is lowered by 1.3" (front) and 1.5" (rear) on Eibach Pro Springs which still have the stock lower control arms and stock upper control arm... The only other suspension upgrades were BMR adjustable panhard bar, Koni adjustable struts/shocks, GT500 strut mounts and Eibach camber bolts...