Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Motorcraft BXT 96R-590 vs Interstate Batteries MTP 96R

Search this Thread

Old 5/26/24, 01:33 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,059 Likes on 1,668 Posts
Motorcraft BXT 96R-590 vs Interstate Batteries MTP 96R

Well guys and gals, after 6 awesome years of reliable service, my Motorcraft battery BXT 96R has finally bitten the dust... Anyway, after doing some extensive research, I'm debating on whether I should stick with Motorcraft or make the switch over to Interstate batteries MTP 96R? What I'm debating over is which battery offers the better replacement warranty which is prorated after the free replacement period has expired...

For example, Interstate's warranty period is 100% free replacement up to 3yrs/30 months, then becomes prorated at 45% off MSRP from 31 months thru 4yrs/48 months, then becomes prorated at 25% off MSRP up to 5yrs/60 months and then finally becomes prorated at 10% off MSRP during the final 61-72 month/6yr period...

However, other than Motorcraft's 3yr/36 month 100% free replacement, I can't seem to locate any information in regards to whether Motorcraft offers a prorated replacement warranty after the free 3yr/36 month replacement period ends at 100%.... I even went as far to look up the info on the Motorcraft website and couldn't locate any information regarding prorated warranty period, terms/conditions...

Perhaps, either Kevin or someone who's familiar with Ford/Motorcraft's warranty policy can chime in by providing what exactly are the terms and conditions under the Ford/Motorcraft replacement warranty on whether they include a prorated replacement period after the 3yr/36 month free replacement period ends... Until then, I'll be unable to do a side by side comparison as to which offers the better warranty replacement once the initial 3yr/36 month free replacement period expires...

In the meantime, I look forward to any feedback and support that may be provided... Thanks in advance,

-Rocky

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 5/27/24 at 03:13 PM. Reason: typo error
Old 5/26/24, 02:36 PM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,712 Likes on 2,007 Posts
I Use The Optional BXT40R It Was Shelby & Active Alarm Required At One Point! It is 5 Pounds Heavier and Has 15 Minutes More Reserve Capacity Than The BXT-96R-590. But Does One Last Longer Than The Other! Sounds Like You Had Pretty Good Luck With The BXT-96 R590

The The Warranty info Can Be Elusive As Most Parts Houses Which Sell Motorcraft Only Mention The 3/36 Free Replacement on The Tested Tough Max Batteries. Ironically the Best Place To Look For Battery Warranty Info is on Top or On The Side of Battery. Note Oem From The Factory {NEW CAR} Don't Show That and Some Of The Replacements are Pell Mell About Listing As Well.

NOTICE How Link To 40R Does Not Show The 100 Month Warranty Yet A Pic I Took of My Last 40r Does!

Regardless of Where You Buy it The Dealer is Likely Where To get it Prorated Correctly. I Would Shop Around get Your Best Price Then Hit a Couple of Dealers and See If They Are Competitive and If Not Will They Match Prices. Batteries are Almost Always Sold at a STORE Price as Ford Really Does Not have Msrp on Them. So Prices Can vary Wildly.

Ford Also Has BXL Series Which is 18 Month Free Replacement As Well. I Don't Advise Using Those!

Now I Got To Thinking Has FORD Changed Policy??? And Got away From Prorates Since I Left The Fold! Might Check With a Couple of Ford Dealers Before You Buy!

UPDATE FOUND THIS!

As Per This Link FORD Started Moving Away From Prorate in 2021. Guess That Explains Why You Will Find Hit & Miss Pictures All over The Place Some With Prorate info Some With Out. Read All of Post 6 on Link. Looks Like Other Battery Sellers are As Well Extending Free Replacement Times And Eliminating Pro-Rates

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/th.../#post-5626778

See Specs

https://www.walmart.com/ip/New-Genui...yABEgJCv_D_BwE

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c...q=bxt96r&pos=5

Old 5/26/24, 04:58 PM

I believe the main reason for having such good luck with the current Motorcraft BXT 96R was due to always having it connected to a battery tender whenever the Mustang is not being operated...
However, I know for certain that prior to investing in the battery tender, all my previous Motorcraft batteries died within one year, which I assume was due from the constant draw of the active alarm system....
Therefore, adding the battery tender made a significant difference, to say the very least...

Upon reading over your response, I did some more digging which pretty much confirms what you mentioned about Ford moving away from it's 100 month prorated replacement warranty and even if my battery still has the 100 month replacement period printed on the sticker label, will Ford still honor it, chances are they probably won't... But if in the event they do? then I will see if I can convince them to let me purchase the BXT 40R at the prorated MSRP over the BXT 96R... Anyhow, for what it's worth, I have always purchased all my Motorcraft parts from my local Ford dealership, except for Motorcraft motor oil which I always purchase from Advance Auto... LOL

In the meantime, If the dealership doesn't honor the 100 month prorated replacement, then it appears I'll be making the switch over to Interstate batteries...

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 5/26/24 at 05:02 PM.
Old 5/26/24, 06:10 PM

I Would Think they Would Honor Existing Warranty, It's Gonna Be a Math Equation After That! The Older The Battery The Higher The Dollar!

One of The Problems With the Internet is All That Information Existing and Not Being Updated! Especially On Warranties, Specs and Even if The Part is Still Available. Even Your Local Dealer Who Deals With This stuff Everyday is Hard Pressed To Keep Up With It. Most Don't Take The Time To Be On Top of This Info. And That Goes For Any Business These Days! Cost Keeps Staff Levels Low as Well as Knowledgeable Staff in Short Supply. These Days I Bet You Could Get a Job That at One Time Required a Degree and Now a Warm Body That Will Show Up is All You Need!

Scary Thought!

KC
Old 5/27/24, 02:00 PM

I hope you're right about the dealership honoring the 100 month prorated warranty, providing of course that it still exists, as I much prefer sticking with OEM Ford/Motorcraft parts. In the meantime, I will follow back up sometime tomorrow after speaking with the dealership's parts department.
Old 5/27/24, 02:06 PM

If Your Battery Has The Old Warranty Printed On it I Would Say They are Obligated To Honor it.

As Stated Earlier The Parts Prices on Batteries Were Set By Individual Dealerships and What Would Happen is They Settled to a Price Point After a Customer Would Walk in to Dealer A and Say Dealer B Charges X Amount For Their Batteries. I Was Pretty Fair on Batteries I Believe And Put a $20.00 Mark-up which Was Just Enough To Skate By and Make The Sale.

Here is a Bit of Inside Info You. Current Dealer Net on Both the BXT-96R and BXT40R is $135.96 So Be Your Own Judge as To Who is Out of Control of Pricing! So If I Were Still Running a FORD Dealer Parts Department My Price on One Of Those Batteries Would Be $155.96 Dealer Net Being Price Ford Has Set For The Dealer To Pay For Battery. This in Regards To Standard Lead Acid Batteries Back in My Day! All Battery Costs are Different But on Lead Acid I Marked Up $20.00!

Yep, I Can Still Peek Here & There For FOMOCO Info. Not Like Back in the Day But a Bit!

Kc
Old 5/27/24, 02:57 PM

I've attached links below courtesy of FordParts.com... They list both BXT40R and BXT96R-590 at $169.95 MSRP: Your Price: $152.96: Core Charge: $16.00... Therefore, just as you posted, the differences between net and $20.00 mark up costs are pretty much spot on at approximately $132.96 Net and $152.96 after mark up... Once again, Kevin, I really hope your right about the dealer being obligated to honor the old 100 month warranty which is printed on my battery... I suppose we'll know soon enough by tomorrow when I follow back up.

https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/el...p-bxt40r?pdp=y
https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/el...xt96r590?pdp=y

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 5/27/24 at 02:59 PM.
Old 5/28/24, 01:36 PM

Just spoke with the dealership's parts department today... Here's what they said, as long as I provide my original sales invoice, which I still have, they will honor the old 100 month prorated warranty replacement... The bad news, however is according to my sales invoice, the battery was purchased on Dec 8 2016 which means the battery is actually 7 years/5 months old, rather than 6 years as I had originally thought... Therefore, I really don't know how much of a prorated discount would be remaining knowing the battery has just barely over 6 months left before the 100 month replacement period finally comes to an end this upcoming December... Either way, I've decided that I'm going to purchase the Motorcraft BXT40R thru my dealership's parts department with or without the remaining 6 months left under the 100 month replacement period...
The following 2 users liked this post by m05fastbackGT:
05stangkc (5/28/24), NC14GT (5/28/24)
Old 5/28/24, 02:29 PM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 985 Likes on 610 Posts
I always stick with Motorcraft for my Mustangs. Here was my thread last year.

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...-shock-550802/
The following users liked this post:
m05fastbackGT (5/29/24)
Old 5/28/24, 04:12 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts
I've had to get 4-5 batteries in the last couple years for various family and it seems like nobody prorates anymore. Just 2-3 year replacement depending on how much you want to spend.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rather B.Blown:
m05fastbackGT (5/29/24), NC14GT (5/29/24)
Old 5/28/24, 06:46 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,219 Likes on 1,658 Posts
I never knew about the pro-rated ever. I just replaced batteries when I needed one.
NC14GT (5/29/24)
Old 5/29/24, 07:27 AM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 985 Likes on 610 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustang Freak
I never knew about the pro-rated ever. I just replaced batteries when I needed one.
It never saved serious $$ anyway in most cases. I think I used it once on an AC DELCO. It was so far along into the pro-rated time I think I got about $12 off.
m05fastbackGT (5/29/24)
Old 5/29/24, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by NC14GT
I always stick with Motorcraft for my Mustangs. Here was my thread last year.

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...-shock-550802/
Have no idea how I missed you're thread, guess I just didn't notice for some reason...But anyhow, I always stick with Motorcraft as well...Guess you can say that I'm brand loyal...LOL

Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown
I've had to get 4-5 batteries in the last couple years for various family and it seems like nobody prorates anymore. Just 2-3 year replacement depending on how much you want to spend.
Luckily, my Motorcraft battery lasted for nearly 7.5 years, so during the time of purchase, the 100 month limited warranty policies were still fully active... in fact, I wasn't even aware of the discontinuation until just 3 days ago... LOL

Originally Posted by Mustang Freak
Up until Ford discontinued the 100 month limited warranty replacement, they all had 3 year/36 month free replacement and 100 month limited warranty replacement... Now its just the 3 year 36month free replacement...

Originally Posted by NC14GT
It never saved serious $$ anyway in most cases. I think I used it once on an AC DELCO. It was so far along into the pro-rated time I think I got about $12 off.
Being as my Motorcraft BXT 96R-590 lasted nearly 7.5 years, there's barely just a little over 6 months remaining left on the prorated time, so I probably wouldn't end up getting much of a discount, to begin with anyhow...
NC14GT (5/31/24)
Old 5/29/24, 02:10 PM

Honestly Most People Would Forget They Had The Extra Coverage or Did Not Have Their Receipt That I Would Do A Pro Rate Just Often Enough To Have To Relearn The Process! And They Were a PIA Trying To Document Correctly To get Paid By FORD. I Did My Best To Get The FREE REPLACEMENT for The Customer Whenever I Could! So We Say Goodbye to MOTORCRAFT BATTERY PRO-RATE {DISCONTINUED}!!

And FUTURE Thread Readers! Don't Forget on the BXT96R-590 It Can Be Replaced With The BXT-40R WIth More Reserve Capacity! Should Be Same Price!

RIP

Motorcraft Battery Prorate!

At Least All The Digging Will Leave a Google Trail to Those Chasing The Prorate on TMS!

I Have Sold, Stacked & Stocked More Motorcraft Batteries in My 30+ Years At Ford Dealers I Ought To Have a Permanent Static Charge!

NC14GT (5/31/24)
Old 5/29/24, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by 05stangkc
Honestly Most People Would Forget They Had The Extra Coverage or Did Not Have Their Receipt That I Would Do A Pro Rate Just Often Enough To Have To Relearn The Process! And They Were a PIA Trying To Document Correctly To get Paid By FORD. I Did My Best To Get The FREE REPLACEMENT for The Customer Whenever I Could! So We Say Goodbye to MOTORCRAFT BATTERY PRO-RATE {DISCONTINUED}!!

And FUTURE Thread Readers! Don't Forget on the BXT96R-590 It Can Be Replaced With The BXT-40R WIth More Reserve Capacity! Should Be Same Price!

RIP

Motorcraft Battery Prorate!

At Least All The Digging Will Leave a Google Trail to Those Chasing The Prorate on TMS!

I Have Sold, Stacked & Stocked More Motorcraft Batteries in My 30+ Years At Ford Dealers I Ought To Have a Permanent Static Charge!

Yes indeed! As I'm quite sure they'll be folks other than just myself searching for information regarding the Prorates...LOL And most definitely, future thread readers, don't forget about the BXT 96R-590, as it can indeed be replaced with the BXT 40R which has more reserve capacity, just as Kevin brought up above and is confirmed at the very same price as the BXT 96R-590 and is also 5lbs heavier...

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 5/29/24 at 02:55 PM.