Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Not sure 2006 Mustang GT Turbocharged Running Lean! Need Help!

Search this Thread

Old 3/28/24, 07:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not sure 2006 Mustang GT Turbocharged Running Lean! Need Help!

About a month ago I started getting lean codes on my mustang. Both banks are running lean but car starts and runs good. The only thing I haven't checked out is O2 sensors, fuel pump, and fuel injectors.
Plugs and coil packs are all brand new as well as MAF sensor and fuel filter. The car does have a turbo kit and some other goodies. No cats or exhaust. Today when I took it to the store it started running rough in first and all the dash lights came on.
I turned right around and went home but when I parked and left it idling the rpms just stayed at 4000 rpm. I turned off the car and restarted it 5 min later and it started and idled perfectly but the rpm gauge stayed at 4000 rpm still. When i rev it sounds fine and the needle moves accordingly. I'm wondering if this new issue is part of my existing lean issue or am I dealing with a whole new additional issue. Any help will be appreciated.
Old 3/28/24, 07:56 PM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,598 Likes on 1,924 Posts
Welcome,

So Let Me get This Straight. You Have No Cats & Turbo Kit in California?

Anyhoo Have You Checked Maf For Vacuum Leak???

KC
The following users liked this post:
DonnyLong (4/28/24)
Old 3/28/24, 08:00 PM

Lol yeah California is ****ty but I keep it in the garage mostly.
I checked for vacuum leaks and maf
Old 3/28/24, 08:15 PM

Sounds Like Vacuum Leak Somewhere. 30+ Years at Ford Dealers in California I Did not get Any Feedback on Aftermarket Turbo Issues. I Have Had My Share of Factory Supercharger Issues Owning an 02 F-150 Harley Truck & 07 Gt-500. Also Had a Roushcharged 07 GT/CS. So I Will Defer To Any of Our Other Members Who May Have Some Real World Hands On With an Aftermarket Turbo. Also Have You Checked With Kit Supplier.

I Had a Lean Code Plague Me For Years on the Harley Truck & All it Was a Super Small Leak Between Headpipe & Exhaust Manifold! It Would Always Throw a Code about a Month Before The Smog Inspection was Due! Ran Great But Fuel Trims Were all over The Place! They Improved Greatly after Fix! And No More Light!

Aye Carumba!

Oh And Since We Have Been Getting A Ton of Rain in California If Car Was Left Out or Driven in Heavy Rain, Have You Checked SJB For Water Intrusion Issue! Just a Thought!

Also Any Electrical Connections Which Are No Longer Connected Due To Turbo Install Like IMRC's Which Maybe Getting Grounded out or Water Issues.

Some History on the Car as Far As Everything Done Some Pics & How Long Did it Run Without an Issue and Was Anything Changed or Fiddled With Right Before It Took a Nose Dive? Sometimes Just A Dead Battery Can Throw a Tune Out. Ran into That on the Gt-500. Cost me a trip to The Smog Referee.

Best of Luck!

KC
DonnyLong (4/28/24)
Old 3/28/24, 08:46 PM

Only thing different that happened was Ford came to my house to fix the airbag recall. I was at work while the fix took place.
it's been running lean for awhile but I don't drive it much. The rpm thing is new though
Old 3/28/24, 09:56 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 622 Likes on 447 Posts
Originally Posted by DonnyLong
Only thing different that happened was Ford came to my house to fix the airbag recall. I was at work while the fix took place.
it's been running lean for awhile but I don't drive it much. The rpm thing is new though
First thing I would ask is what year car, engine, etc would help a lot. Second thing is Ford came to YOUR HOUSE to fix the airbag ? Wow, never heard anything like that. Aside from your issue, I want to hear more about that situation.
DonnyLong (4/28/24)
Old 3/29/24, 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown
First thing I would ask is what year car, engine, etc would help a lot. Second thing is Ford came to YOUR HOUSE to fix the airbag ? Wow, never heard anything like that. Aside from your issue, I want to hear more about that situation.
Oh Yeah Ford Had it in the Airbag Recall if You Did Not Want to Drive The Car They Would Come To Your House. Cars Like The FORD GT That Did Not Get Driven or Just very Scared Owners Took Advantage of That Service. Just Had To Ask. It was in The Owners Letters They Sent Out.

KC
DonnyLong (4/28/24)
Old 3/29/24, 01:44 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,621 Posts
I would find out if Ford re-uploaded the OEM calibration tune when they came out to do the airbag recall... If your lean condition is not related to the calibration tune, I would then check for MAF vacuum leaks followed by your 02 sensors, fuel pump and fuel injectors... Of course the quickest way to find out, is by connecting a hand-held scanning device to check for trouble codes... Once you come across the codes, you can find out what exactly they're related to by doing a google search... At least you'll then have a clearer diagnosis as to what is causing your lean conditions.
DonnyLong (4/28/24)
Old 3/29/24, 03:08 PM

EXPANDED TITLE OF TOPIC TO PULL IN HELP!
KC Admin

Just a Reminder To All .

Every {Repair & Help Section} From Fox Body & Up Has a {STICKY Thread for Ford Specific Trouble Codes & Body Codes Etc.} Also Some Trouble Shooting!

Also Other Helpful FORD SPECIFIC Shop Manual Information. A Great Place To Start For Any Trouble Issues.

Below is S-197 05-09 Specific Info.

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...e-info-550470/

KC
DonnyLong (4/28/24)
Old 3/30/24, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by 05stangkc
EXPANDED TITLE OF TOPIC TO PULL IN HELP!
KC Admin

Just a Reminder To All .

Every {Repair & Help Section} From Fox Body & Up Has a {STICKY Thread for Ford Specific Trouble Codes & Body Codes Etc.} Also Some Trouble Shooting!

Also Other Helpful FORD SPECIFIC Shop Manual Information. A Great Place To Start For Any Trouble Issues.

Below is S-197 05-09 Specific Info.

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...e-info-550470/

KC
Kevin! Although, the repair and help sections are very beneficial resources, the OP isn't going to know what his trouble codes are until connecting a hand-held scanning device to his OBDII port... If the OP does not own a handheld scanning device, he can always take his car to any Advance Auto location, and they will connect one of their handheld scanners and scan his vehicle for any potential trouble codes, free of charge... Therefore, until the OP is able to know exactly what trouble codes to troubleshoot? How is he going to know what to troubleshoot for, to begin with...
DonnyLong (4/28/24)
Old 3/30/24, 11:19 AM

Rocky,

He States in His First Sentence He is getting Lean Codes. Where When & How He Got Those He Did Not Say, He Also Said He Had Checked His MAF Which Went Right Over My Head as I Suggested after The Fact. I Don't Catch Everything Either. Depends On How Tired or Distracted I Am. Something I Know You Can Relate To as We Both Have Health Issues We Deal With Everyday!

As Far as The Post it Was General Information To Any & All Reading The Thread. That's Part of My Job as ADMIN as Far as I Am Concerned. That is To Address The Audience Now & in the Future as Well as the Op! I Have in the Past Got Generic Codes off the Web Which Were In Some Instances Different From FORD Specific Codes. That is Another Reason I Brought Up The Ford Specific Codes I Listed.

Glad To See You are Feeling Good Enough To Joust With Me Again! But That Was Not My Intention. As we Have Discussed over The Phone in the Past I Think We are More Alike Than we Would Care To Admit. In The Case of Taking Each Others Post at Times as a Personal Challenge. Most of The Times it's Not!

Nothing Wrong with Your Advice I Simply Added To or Expanded Your Answer!

KC
DonnyLong (4/28/24)
Old 3/30/24, 12:20 PM

Okay, Kevin! Just to clear up any misinterpretations... It is neither my intention to joust, compete and especially dispute any advice towards pointing our forum members in the right direction... Perhaps you may have forgotten what we both discussed over the phone a while back, but I clearly mentioned that if for any reason either one of us happen to take anything posted in the wrong manner or in the wrong way, is to either ask via PM or by telephone so that it can be straighten out and are once again back on the same page...

Also, just to make certain, it is not within my personality to come across as jousting, competing and especially to challenge another person's advice... That is NOT how my personality works... So once again, if you should happen to interpret any of my post submissions in any of those manners? that is never my intention... So, if you are not sure for any reason, just simply ask and I will always be straightforward and upfront with you...

As for the OP, I was just clearly recommending that he connect a handheld scanner to his OBDII port to locate any potential trouble codes in order to narrow down what may be causing his lean conditions... I did not intend to discourage him from going to the help and repair sections in anyway, but rather was seeking to find out if the OP was able to locate any potential trouble codes via using a hand-held scanning device...

-Rocky
DonnyLong (4/28/24)
Old 3/30/24, 12:37 PM

My Friend We Should Catch Up Soon. I'm Mid Project Painting During a Rain Pause So Not Today But Soon. Let's get Back on Topic For Op.

Kc
DonnyLong (4/28/24)
Old 3/30/24, 02:59 PM

Couldn't agree more on both catching up soon and getting back on topic for the Op.
DonnyLong (4/28/24)
Old 4/28/24, 11:57 AM

O2 sensors in a bad spot

I have a 2006 mustang gt and I'm having a problem with the bank 2 02 sensor. It's hard to get to and seems to be seized up. What is the best way to get to it so I can remove it? It's between the firewall and the block underneath the valve cover.
thanks
Old 4/28/24, 12:00 PM

Thanks

Just wanted to thank everyone for your feedback. It ended up not being a vacuum leak but two bad upstream 02 sensors. Bank 1 is replaced and bank 2 is a real pain in my ***. Super hard to get to. Any suggestions?
Old 4/28/24, 12:29 PM

Just wanted to thank everyone for your feedback. It ended up not being a vacuum leak but two bad upstream 02 sensors. Bank 1 is replaced and bank 2 is a real pain in my ***. Super hard to get to. Any suggestions?
Thanks for following up and glad you discovered it was your front/upstream 02 sensors that were responsible for your lean codes... Unfortunately, I've never had to replace my front/upstream 02 sensors before, so hopefully others may chime in who have personal experience that can provide some suggestions for you...

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 4/28/24 at 12:32 PM.
DonnyLong (4/28/24)
Old 4/28/24, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
Thanks for following up and glad you discovered it was your front/upstream 02 sensors that were responsible for your lean codes... Unfortunately, I've never had to replace my front/upstream 02 sensors before, so hopefully others may chime in who have personal experience that can provide some suggestions for you...
Thank you
It's located between the firewall and the block right under the valve cover.
m05fastbackGT (4/28/24)
Old 4/28/24, 04:15 PM

Thank you
It's located between the firewall and the block right under the valve cover.
Yes, I know exactly where they're located... All I was trying to get across is that I've never had to replace them... Hope that I won't need to anytime soon either, knowing there such a PITA to get to...

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 4/30/24 at 11:20 AM.
Old 4/28/24, 04:31 PM

I have a 2006 mustang gt and I'm having a problem with the bank 2 02 sensor. It's hard to get to and seems to be seized up. What is the best way to get to it so I can remove it? It's between the firewall and the block underneath the valve cover.
thanks
Just so your aware, I went ahead and merged your 2 threads together, as the problem concerns regarding the upstream 02 sensors are directly related along with being addressed in the original thread which you previously submitted.

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 4/28/24 at 04:50 PM.
DonnyLong (4/28/24)

Quick Reply: Not sure 2006 Mustang GT Turbocharged Running Lean! Need Help!