Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Too much Deliverance!! Squeal Squeal Squeal

Search this Thread

Old 3/27/23, 02:59 PM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 957 Likes on 584 Posts
Too much Deliverance!! Squeal Squeal Squeal

Man! My front brakes have gone squealing loud with just 11,000 miles on them. Really noticeable when HOT after driving a bit. Hopefully just the pads and not something more expensive. The squeal has always been there but not constant from red light to red light. I'll keep everyone posted after April 11 (my shop appointment) in case anyone else develops this issue. The brakes stop fine, just the embarrassing noise.
Old 3/27/23, 03:46 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,509 Likes on 1,031 Posts
do you know what kind of pads they are?
Old 3/27/23, 10:24 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 616 Likes on 443 Posts
Sorry, I don't know about your physical abilities, but if you're able id just yank the front wheels off and unbolt the calipers and look at the pads first to see the wear, shouldn't be much at 11k miles but could be glazed, and look at the wear sensors to make sure one isn't bent and rubbing the rotor. Not to mention something that could have gotten in there.

I had a rear brake on my new Grand Cherokee that was making noise like that and when I took the wheel off, a small gravel had gotten slung in the top ot the caliper in a groove there and it was sitting there riding against the rotor. It was rubbed smooth on one side where it was wedged.
Old 3/28/23, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by Bert
do you know what kind of pads they are?
Original 2014 Ford pads, whatever they used when the car was new. The prior owner only put 8,800 miles on the car before we bought it. I certainly don't brake hard so nothing I did on this end. The prior owner was a middle aged guy who mostly used the car to go his local golf course.
Old 3/28/23, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown
Sorry, I don't know about your physical abilities, but if you're able id just yank the front wheels off and unbolt the calipers and look at the pads first to see the wear, shouldn't be much at 11k miles but could be glazed, and look at the wear sensors to make sure one isn't bent and rubbing the rotor. Not to mention something that could have gotten in there.

I had a rear brake on my new Grand Cherokee that was making noise like that and when I took the wheel off, a small gravel had gotten slung in the top ot the caliper in a groove there and it was sitting there riding against the rotor. It was rubbed smooth on one side where it was wedged.
No, can't do it myself unfortunately. Oil changes are even getting tough for me. Both front sides are squealing so the gravel thing is unlikely.
Old 3/28/23, 10:55 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I asked because the Brembo pads can be noisy, even if they are not worn out ... it seems early by the mileage, but a pad change probably will cure it; and they should make sure the calipers are moving freely while they're at it
The following 2 users liked this post by Bert:
NC14GT (3/29/23), shaneyusa (7/5/23)
Old 3/28/23, 01:42 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Originally Posted by NC14GT
No, can't do it myself unfortunately. Oil changes are even getting tough for me. Both front sides are squealing so the gravel thing is unlikely.
I know what you mean, I'm getting the same way, especially the oil change thing without a lift. I can get down on the floor fairly well, getting back up is the problem, 😂

Probably a good thing my new one wasn't available with a manual, don't know how much longer I could enjoy driving it while rowing gears.
The following users liked this post:
NC14GT (3/29/23)
Old 3/28/23, 03:41 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 551 Likes on 357 Posts
You can try to bed them in again.
  • Perform 3-4 medium stops from 45mph. Slightly more aggressive than normal braking. You don't need to come to a complete stop for each pass. This brings the brake rotors up to temperature so they are not exposed to sudden thermal shock.
  • Make 8-10 aggressive stops from 60mph down to 15mph. For this set of semi-stops, you want to be firm and aggressive, but not to the point where ABS activates and the wheels lock up. It's important to note that you don't come to a complete stop but rather a semi-stop (~15mph). Accelerate back up to 60mph as soon as you slowed down to your semi-stop.
  • The brake pads and brake rotors are extremely hot at this point and sitting on one point will imprint the pad material onto the surface unevenly. This can cause vibration and uneven braking.
  • You may notice that your brakes will start fading, and sometimes smoke, after the 6th or 7th pass. This fade will stabilize and will gradually recess once your brakes have cooled down to normal operating temperatures. Drive carefully as your brakes may feel softer for the next few minutes.
  • Try not to come to a complete stop and find a stretch of road where you can coast for 5-10 minutes, preferably without using your brakes.
As for the doing maintenance I to have no problems getting down, and believe it or not the creeper is pretty comfortable to sleep on when you cannot get back up ​​​​​​​
The following 2 users liked this post by Siber Express:
Bert (3/28/23), NC14GT (3/29/23)
Old 3/28/23, 04:02 PM
Legacy TMS Member

agreed re-bedding might be worth a try, assuming the pads are not worn out, which they probably aren't at that mileage
NC14GT (3/29/23)
Old 3/28/23, 04:16 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Originally Posted by Siber Express
You can try to bed them in again.

As for the doing maintenance I to have no problems getting down, and believe it or not the creeper is pretty comfortable to sleep on when you cannot get back up
agreed re-bedding might be worth a try, assuming the pads are not worn out, which they probably aren't at that mileage
​​​​​​​I agree with you both about the re-bedding, main reason I asked if he could get them off and look around for anything obvious.
NC14GT (3/29/23)
Old 3/29/23, 09:00 AM

Thanks guys! I have done that re-bedding to a point but not 8 -10 times, just 3. I've also done a few other tricks I learned in my LEO career with big heavy Chevys. I may try the re-bedding properly this time but new pads are never a bad idea anyway on a nearly 10 year old car. My mechanic is very fairly priced and he can check for any other issues like rotors, just in case. You guys sure are helpful and it is appreciated.
Old 4/12/23, 02:49 PM

*** FOLLOW-Up for those interested. All set now after the front pads were replaced and the rotors turned. My mechanic said it was pretty bad with too much rust or similar debris accumulated. He said it would be silly to just change the pads only despite cleaning everything up.. It looked like the previous owner took the car to the car wash and then straight home and parked it for the winter. Makes sense to me. The car was driven very little, about 1,000 miles per year. I'm glad the undercarriage was undercoated or there could have been other storage issues. $203 later the GT is quiet when braking. No big deal and I'm good to go. Thanks to all who took an interest.
The following 2 users liked this post by NC14GT:
m05fastbackGT (4/12/23), shaneyusa (7/5/23)
Old 4/12/23, 02:58 PM
Legacy TMS Member

good news, and $203 is not bad at all, I'd say that mechanic is a keeper
NC14GT (4/13/23)
Old 4/12/23, 04:33 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,992 Likes on 1,616 Posts
Good to know you have a good technician who also offers a fair price... Glad he resolved your brake squeal issues for you, congrats.
NC14GT (4/13/23)
Old 4/13/23, 08:21 PM

good news, and $203 is not bad at all, I'd say that mechanic is a keeper
Definitely! He has been my guy for 20 years now after taking over his Dad's business. He even tells me to pick up the car and pay later when he gets the invoice done at the end of the day. Now that's a cool relationship.
The following 2 users liked this post by NC14GT:
Bert (4/14/23), m05fastbackGT (4/16/23)
Old 4/14/23, 04:57 AM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,632 Posts
Yep just found a local mom & pop mechanic who has treated me well. I will start taking my Boss to him for any future needs.
NC14GT (4/14/23)
Old 7/4/23, 08:39 AM

*** Another update: Now the rears are squealing too. Looks like another $203 bill coming my way for the pads and turning the rotors. My appointment is next week. That's the problem with too much sitting sometimes. Oh well, I'll have all 'new' brakes now, and hopefully quiet for many years. Maybe I should not be so picky, as the brakes work fine, but I'm embarrassed by the brake squeal.
shaneyusa (7/5/23)
Old 7/4/23, 09:02 AM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,584 Likes on 1,912 Posts
Originally Posted by NC14GT
*** Another update: Now the rears are squealing too. Looks like another $203 bill coming my way for the pads and turning the rotors. My appointment is next week. That's the problem with too much sitting sometimes. Oh well, I'll have all 'new' brakes now, and hopefully quiet for many years. Maybe I should not be so picky, as the brakes work fine, but I'm embarrassed by the brake squeal.
We Sold a Lot of the BG Brake Kits Back in the Day! In Fact This Really Helped with the Early 05 S197 Sqeeky Brakes! My New GT Had the Squeel Shortly After Purchasing! Know you are a BG Fan! They Can Use This When New Pads are Intalled or It Can Be Used After The Fact as Well!

Oh and on A Side Note Ned Beatty Had his car Serviced at Clevenger Ford Back in the Day! Just Had To Squeal That Tidbit! I Did Not Go Over & Pester Him Though! Just Lurked a Bit!

https://www.bgprod.com/catalog/brake...-squeal/#Usage

MGB,

KC

Last edited by 05stangkc; 7/4/23 at 09:08 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 05stangkc:
NC14GT (7/5/23), shaneyusa (7/14/23)
Old 7/5/23, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by 05stangkc
We Sold a Lot of the BG Brake Kits Back in the Day! In Fact This Really Helped with the Early 05 S197 Sqeeky Brakes! My New GT Had the Squeel Shortly After Purchasing! Know you are a BG Fan! They Can Use This When New Pads are Intalled or It Can Be Used After The Fact as Well!

Oh and on A Side Note Ned Beatty Had his car Serviced at Clevenger Ford Back in the Day! Just Had To Squeal That Tidbit! I Did Not Go Over & Pester Him Though! Just Lurked a Bit!

https://www.bgprod.com/catalog/brake...-squeal/#Usage

MGB,

KC

Cool Beatty reference. Made me smile.
I do like the BG products but my mechanic likes the Wagner stuff, and I'll let him do his thing since he does such a good job with all my rides.
Old 7/13/23, 02:21 PM

Got the car back today and now all 4 wheels have new pads with turned rotors. Good to go. It was basically the same price as last time at $210.
shaneyusa (7/14/23)

Quick Reply: Too much Deliverance!! Squeal Squeal Squeal