2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TR3650 fluid: My experiments in wishing for better shifting from this thing.

Search this Thread

Old 9/23/18, 09:43 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
TR3650 fluid: My experiments in wishing for better shifting from this thing.

So after having the shifter troubles from the start back in '08+ when I bought Awesome, at some point I switched from factory Mercon (whatever number) to 3 quarts of RP Synchromax. It made an immediate improvement. That stayed in the car until this year, when I did the clutch job.

Remember the clutch job? *I* sure as heck do...

Andyway, at that time, I put in 3.0 quarts of GM/Pennzoil (same) Synchromesh. It was supposed to be better, and I had heard worrisome about RP, although at 160K whatever damage it'd do it'd have done... but I wasn't happy about the shifting, and figured that any help I could get is going to be good, right? Right!

Synchromesh did help. And yet.. it wasn't all that. I put in .2 more. There we go. Well, not yet. Put in .2 more again (.4 over, which was spec in previous models.) Ok, now I've screwed up, it's not happy. Maybe I'll take out .2 and that's about as good as it gets...

Then I did some more digging. Mobil 1 ATF. 3.0 quarts of that. That's what is the real. Dang. Deal.

So of course, while I had it up doing the UCA (remember the UCA job? I do.) I figured before I got it down I'd swap out the fluid. (Remember the drain pan? I do. Ugh.)

And now Awesome has 3.0 quarts of Mobil 1 ATF.

And I ain't never had 1st slip in so nicely. I am not even kidding. It's like freakin' magic. I mean, almost tear inducing. I don't have to trick the shifter, I just... put it in first. Or reverse. It just... GOES IN. Shifting to other gears is also way way nicer, easier. I really enjoyed my two test drives. While cold or warmed up, it's really really nice.

Now... it's early yet. I plan on updating this thread. Gimme a week, I'll report back. But I ain't kidding. Best it's ever been. I just hope it stays that way.
The following users liked this post:
Bert (9/26/18)
Old 9/24/18, 07:34 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Interesting. I have Redline MTL (I believe) in my MT-82 now. I wonder if the M1 stuff would improve it even more. You should also get an MGW, if you haven't.
Old 9/24/18, 09:06 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Eh, I thought about a shifter bracket... but I'm not a drag racer or anything, and I inspected the one I have, she's ok. Maybe one day, I'll get the bug to do it, but not just yet.

Especially now! Man. I ain't kidding, after a full day of driving, ramming around, launching, power shifting, etc, ad nauseum with the Mobil 1 ATF in there?

So. Freakin' SWEET.

Goes into first no complaints, no GGRACKing, no moving to third then back to first, or even funner into any gear let off clutch just a little then back in then move to first or any of that mess. 100% straight into first at a stop or even while still rolling a little bit. Heck, I was even able to stick it in *reverse* while still moving forward at a slow rate of speed!

Disclaimer: KIDS DO NOT TRY THAT AT HOME I'M A PROFESSIONAL IDIOT WHAT WAS EXPERIMENTING TO SEE WHAT'D HAPPEN AND I AM A BIG DUMMY FOR EVEN DOING IT SO DON'T OK.

That said, it *did* work... Also, shifting from first to second, second to third, etc, and back... just works.

I mean, honest, It's still the slightest bit notchy, but three rail remote shifter, sure. Kinda expect a little notchiness just because of how it all works. It's still pretty great though, it's way way less resistance to shifting than I've ever had the pleasure before.

So after one day, I have to do it. I'm calling it. I know, I said a week, but forget it, it's that much gooder.

Mobil 1 ATF for the complete and utter win for the TR3650 shifting. Can't speak for anything else, but man, this is the very best this car has shifted since ever.

E.v.e.r.

But that's me and Awesome. Perhaps your TR3650 remote shifting transmission won't care so much. Hers does I suppose

And as usual... for what that diatribe/my thoughts is/are worth. Thanks for watching, slam that subscribe button and hit up that like button!

Last edited by houtex; 9/24/18 at 09:09 PM.
tbear853 (1/8/21)
Old 9/26/18, 05:28 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,498 Likes on 1,022 Posts
interesting indeed . . . I have tried a few different fluids in my 3650, including the Mobil 1 and the other usual suspects, and didn't notice any big difference; but I don't have any big problems either, just stiff shifting in cold weather and an occasional crunch going for 3rd in a hurry . . . maybe I'll try the Mobil 1 again next time . . . meanwhile interested to hear longer term results
Old 9/26/18, 02:27 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 390 Likes on 287 Posts
Good tip sir. I had this grand idea of changing the fluid in mine myself, and using one of the "nifty, super duper, slick" tranny fluid to help with the stiff reverse in mine. However, being a lowly "shade tree" mechanic I couldn't get the car up, and level enough to drain the fluid. So, I let the dealer do the job. New fluid helped a bit, and I've now learned the trick to get it into reverse easier.
Old 9/26/18, 05:34 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Update the Gamma: So 'tis 3 days of the New Fluid Thing and commutin' such as it is to work and Other Uses of Car(tm). This is about the time I'd notice the other fluids failing to deliver something.

I am pleased to report: So far, so good! I mean, I honestly didn't expect a giant change, but certainly some little things would rear their ugly heads by now... and haven't.

The one thing that truly makes me happiest right now: The going into first at a stop. It's been a long time since first was this consistently easy to get into. AND reverse, of course, as it's related. There's still no fuss like has been the case for the longest of whiles.

There has yet to be any 'GRAAACK'ing trying to to between gears at any time either. Not the case with any of the previous fluids after a mere 3 days. Second and third was always fraught with 'maaaybe it will... maaaybe it won't...' But so far, nope, and That's A Good Thing(tm). Shifts just happen. From trying to be a grandpa driver with it, then just regular joe, then gettin' frisky with it, and then finally a semi-powershift... just shifts. Goes right into 2 or 3. I'm just about ready to hit it with a full tilt power shift run to see what happens, but it's been a little bit raining and timing has been bad on that. Soon(tm).

Now... in case I'm disillusioning people regarding the standard that is the TR3650's overall notchiness and not-so-smooth feel... that doesn't go away. It still has to index, still has to 'seat' into the gear. There's a little resistance due to the way the entire thing works from the three rails inside to the remote shifter, plus the synchros... can't get rid of *all* the goofiness that is the S197 TR3650 setup, seems. So don't go thinkin' you're gonna be having a Fox World Class T5 all of a sudden, ok? That SVO of mine had a real nice shifter... miss that...

No, the real deal is the synchros work like they should, the shifter overall just works like it ought, and that's the thing. Don't have to fiddle much to get a gear, don't have to worry about clashing synchros or gears. So far, anyway. And truly, when I'm rowin' through the gears on a run, both up and down shifts, there's no problem... again, so far. But then I'm an amateur drag racer or road racer at best, I'm sure a pro would barf all over the way the thing feels and want a T56XL in the thing so he can do the pass right. Can't say I wouldn't do it m'self, but $$$ so pass until I win the lottery.

Next update will be regarding powershifting, 'cause

Until then!

/C'mon lottery tickets, let's GO already...
wanted33 (9/27/18)
Old 1/8/21, 10:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 101 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by houtex
Update the Gamma: So 'tis 3 days of the New Fluid ... etc ... .
Just stumbled on your thread here as I was looking for those bronze bushings I mentioned in a new thread. I know you posted this back in '18, but I've missed so much last few years that '18 seems like yesterday almost.

Back in '14 If you contacted Tremec, they would tell you that 3 liters (3.17 quarts) of Dexron III will provide the best results ... so ... I replaced the Mobile Synthetic ATF I (that I had in it) with Texaco (Havoline) Merc/Dexron III. I then had a few quarts on hand still, I think I have one remaining, maybe 2? OK, I found a box of was 12 quarts less 3 so I have 9 qts. stashed now, I found it worked at least as well, even better before warmed up. Don't see much non synthetic Dexron III anymore.

Are you still using Mobile 1?

Are you still pleased?

Last edited by tbear853; 1/11/21 at 06:56 PM.
Old 1/9/21, 08:10 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I am!

and...

I am!

Well, in as much as it's still the TR3650 and all that caveating, but yep, no complaints, can even power shift, although of course one shouldn't...

And truly, I don't do it much if at all. I think I did one just to do it, and then... eh. Not necessary unless I'm driving angry and I try not to do that...

The thing is, just like I says above, this is me. The old worn out shifter that I probably need to do those bushings you speak of (Can't wait to hear it!) or swap out for the Blowfish/MGW combo that I hear is IT... but it's still the best it's shifted considering where all it was from 18K onward until I did the Mobil 1 ATF. Even the Syncromesh, Syncromax, and all that didn't do it.

So... yeah. I'd say do it. Worst case scenario, you don't like it and find something else on the interwebs to try. And if you find it better, I'll be very interested to know that!

Last edited by houtex; 1/9/21 at 08:14 PM.
tbear853 (1/11/21)
Old 2/7/21, 11:05 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
I am!

and...

I am!

So... yeah. I'd say do it. Worst case scenario, you don't like it and find something else on the interwebs to try. And if you find it better, I'll be very interested to know that!
So Houtex you still recommend Mobil 1 then? Don't judge... I still have the OEM fluid. After 15.5 years, it's probably time to change!

This stuff right?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00086I5Z8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_XWF4232AWMVP1HBF4S31

I do have the MGW shifter though, one of the best mods ever. Are they still making the shifter/in business?

Last edited by mrkabc; 2/7/21 at 11:09 PM.
Old 2/8/21, 01:59 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I wouldn't judge!... much...

Yes, that stuff. But I got it at Advance Auto. Probably doesn't matter, but there it is anyway. As far as recommending it.. sure. I guess. I mean, everyone has their opinions, but I'm pretty good with the Mobil 1 after tryin' everything else I did and finally getting good results... and for what this is worth, this is in the 186K miles original transmission... So... yes? I'mma go with 'yes'...

And yes, they seem to be: https://www.mgwshifters.com/shifters/mustangs/77

And while I'm at it, the bracket: https://www.blowfishracing.com/drive...rt-kit-v2.html

So the plan can still be done... if I ever get to it...

Last edited by houtex; 2/8/21 at 02:01 AM.
Old 2/8/21, 08:51 AM
GT Member

Received 89 Likes on 58 Posts
Hey Houtex,

I have the Barton shifter and Blow Fish Racing relocation mount. Completely changed my 07 in how it shifts. Something to consider.
Old 2/8/21, 09:15 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Yeah, I've seen/read about the Barton, but it seems there was something interesting that poked me towards the MGW as the more desired one for me. I'd have to re-research it over again. But everyone seems to agree that the Blowfish bracket is THE thing to get, beyond the shifter itself.

One day... I mean, I actually have gotten a round TUIT, but doesn't seem to be working...

Last edited by houtex; 2/8/21 at 09:24 AM.
Old 2/8/21, 12:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

... etc ... I actually have gotten a round TUIT, but doesn't seem to be working...
I have one as a souvinier I was given by a lady at a place we troopers met up in a coal strike in 1989, round, made of wood, blue lettering, she gave us all one ...
... as long as it's carried one always has "a round to it" and never has to wait to get "a round to it".
Old 2/8/21, 04:59 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
What does the bracket do? It says "no longer in stock" BTW...
Old 2/8/21, 07:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by mrkabc
What does the bracket do? It says "no longer in stock" BTW...
It mounts the rear of the shifter "housing" to the transmission instead of in rubber to the car's tunnel. Stock, the "housing" mounts at both ends, forward is a torque arm extension that mounts to the transmission case that keeps the "housing" more or less in the same plane with the transmission and the rear of it sits in a bushing to support it over the drive shaft and allows it to rotate with the transmission housing under torque loads.
Old 2/9/21, 09:00 AM

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Just like this.
The following 3 users liked this post by J Coles:
Bert (2/9/21), Gordon Niemi (2/9/21), tbear853 (2/9/21)
Old 2/9/21, 01:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission q@a

Have a 09 GT, 5 speed, 40k miles. Found it in Chicago, was being drag raced. Trans had a pretty bad grind going from 1st into 2nd. Replaced fluid with Amsoil. Noticable improvement but still takes 1-1/2 seconds to make shift without grinding. I have since installed an Edelbrock stage 1 supercharger and Flowmaster exhaust. Uped hp to about 475, torque to 439 lbs. I'm thinking of just biting the bullet and spending the money on a better trans that is designed for the increased power. Or, dare I say this, to an automatic. Might put it on the track this summer. Any ideas anyone
Old 2/9/21, 02:21 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,498 Likes on 1,022 Posts
There were some threads, on here I think, that talked about different synthetic lubes for the 3650, and I am not sure but I think Havoline? might have been the "best" at that time, though the Mobil 1 has always been the "defacto standard" as far as I know. But I doubt any lube would cure your shifting issue.

Before I bought a different tranny, I'd look into having the 3650 rebuilt. I'm pretty sure there are some rebuilders who an upgrade and rebuild them at the same time, but I can't think of the name right now. I think there are threads on here about that too, some quality time with the Search tool might turn them up.
tbear853 (2/9/21)
Old 2/9/21, 03:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for getting back to me. I was also thinking about rebuilding the trans but I would still have that weak input shaft. Having 390 lbs of torque now for a trans that is only rated for 360 is what my concern is. But you are right, before I get to far ahead of myself I should talk to a good transmission man. A new ,heavier one is going to be 4 grand. And then clutch, shifter, and maybe drive shaft. $%$
Old 2/9/21, 08:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

I recently crossed a web site offering to rebuild and upgrade the 3650, includes stepping up that input shaft. $$ is right. Might try Google.

Quick Reply: TR3650 fluid: My experiments in wishing for better shifting from this thing.