General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

oil additive??? What do you use?

Search this Thread

Old 10/24/17, 01:23 PM
V6 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
oil additive??? What do you use?

So, I'm a little "old school" but I used to add oil additives to my engines for additional protection. Keep in mind that this was on my older vehicles. I've used STP, Marvel Mystery Oil, Lucas, ect. But with these newer engines, 2010 4.0 V6, and others, what do you guys use? If any? I hate the way I hear that rattle when I start up on cold mornings. Granted, it goes away pretty quick but it still bothers me. I change the oil every 4k to 5k and it's the synthetic blend the dealer uses. What are you thoughts on this? Thanks.
Old 10/25/17, 04:31 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
I'll never add an oil additive to my oil. I might run some Gumout in my gas tank someday. I have used Gumout in the gas tank on my 1991 F150
Old 11/5/17, 10:05 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 390 Likes on 287 Posts
I do understand being "Old School." But, oils these days are nothing like the oils of yesteryear. They are much better, and with the semi-syn blend you should be good to go without an additive. If you decide you want to run any I suggest you check your owners manual, if I recall correctly some do not recommend running any type of additive. But, I'm not sure about the 3.7L.
Old 11/20/17, 11:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
You might try changing the timing chain tensioner to rid the cold start rattle.
Old 11/21/17, 08:25 AM
GT Member

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
If you have an older classic car with a flat tappet pushrod engine without a catalytic converter you MIGHT benefit from running an additive containing ZDDP. Even then you will probably be better off simply using an oil designed for these engines. BradPenn, Vavoline VR1 racing oil, Joe Gibbs Racing Oil, etc. are all pretty good in this dept. As for modern cars I don't use additives. My thoughts on this subject go like this. Unless you are a petro-chemical engineer with access to all the necessary testing equipment you have no way of knowing just what the additive package is in the oil you're using. Neither do you have any way of knowing exactly what is in the additive package you are adding to your oil and how the two will react with each other. You may well wind up with too much of one thing or quite possibly neutralizing something else. Any oil with an API rating appropriate for your car and of the proper weight for the way the car is used will provide all the protection necessary so long as it is changed regularly and a quality filter is used. Just how often to change is a subject with a variety of opinions. My belief is that how the car is used has a major effect on the service interval. In any case even expensive oils are cheaper than engine parts and overhauls/replacements. Changing a little too often may hurt your wallet a bit, but no one ever hurt an engine by changing too often.
Old 12/4/17, 06:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FWIW I don't use oil additives. I use Motorcraft 5W-20 oil and an 820S M/C filter from Wally World. I do use Lucas fuel treatment on my 2000 GT 4.6 just because it has 110,000 miles on it.
Old 1/4/18, 08:33 PM

I use Amsoil. The best in my opinion. Been using it for years in a variety of V8 motors and have never had an issue. It's also the only over the counter Syn oil you can pour straight out of the bottle into a NASCAR engine WITHOUT having to add any additives to prevent engine blowing up. It's a little more money per oil change, running about $80 but the oil is good for 15k miles under harsh conditions, and they provide extended wear oil filter that works for 15k miles as well. Again....Just my opinion and it's proven itself to me time after time.
Old 1/6/18, 10:02 AM
Former Vendor

Take a look into Superstik. This is a patented venting dipstick handle which will provide you with the most accurate indication of your cars oil level that you can get with your stock dipstick..
Old 1/6/18, 05:25 PM

My favorite

I use lucas oil additive love it works very well
Old 2/9/18, 12:03 AM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
what about slick 50?

what about slick 50?
works great in 50's cars what about the new ones?
Old 2/9/18, 08:31 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Angry Sick 50

Originally Posted by rick57
what about slick 50?
works great in 50's cars what about the new ones?
Slick 50 was a slick marketing campaign.
Do not use it.
"In 1997, three subsidiaries of Quaker State Corp. (the makers of Slick 50) settled Federal Trade Commission charges that ads for Quaker State's Slick 50 Engine Treatment were false and unsubstantiated."