Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

S-197 Spark Plug for 4.6 Discussion N/A & Supercharged!

Search this Thread

Old 5/21/15, 05:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S-197 Spark Plug for 4.6 Discussion N/A & Supercharged!

I am getting ready to change my spark plugs. I wanted to know if there is a one piece spark plug you guys recommend. I have a 06 vert with 21000 miles.

I need recommendation on
one piece spark plugs
what type, brand of anti seize and where to buy?
what brand carb cleaner to use to remove the plug?

If I am missing something please feel free to add. Thanks
Old 5/21/15, 07:01 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,138 Likes on 1,719 Posts
Originally Posted by st06vert
I am getting ready to change my spark plugs. I wanted to know if there is a one piece spark plug you guys recommend. I have a 06 vert with 21000 miles.

I need recommendation on
one piece spark plugs
what type, brand of anti seize and where to buy?
what brand carb cleaner to use to remove the plug?

If I am missing something please feel free to add. Thanks
I have a 2006 GT with 13768 miles and a Saleen series VI S/C along with 39lb injectors and 3.6 pulley making 9psi boost..

My recommendation is this.. Either go with Brisk Racing 1 piece spark plugs or MSD Iridium 1 piece plugs, but whatever you do, stay away from Champions as I've read a lot of negative reviews on this forum and from quite a few others as well..

As for carb cleaner ? I highly recommend Motorcraft carb cleaner and also Motorcraft high temp nickel anti-seize.. You can purchase both from your local Ford parts dept or also try Advance Auto, Pep Boys or Auto Zone..

If you have any addition questions? Just feel free to ask

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 5/17/24 at 01:21 PM.
Old 5/21/15, 07:24 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 66 Likes on 31 Posts
I'll try to dig up the thread/pics I put up of the champions I bought- junk.
one had short threads, likely woulda screwed up the head, several had what looked like little metal chips crimped under the seal, and all had the tips welded crooked AND the platinum tips were way off to the side of that...

maybe I just had bad luck, or am just to picky to look over stuff too closely, but in my opinion, those were the worst quality ANYTHING I ever saw... I doubt harbor freight woulda sold them.

have heard good things about MSD iridium, Brisk, Brisk Silver... I'm gonna go MSD just as they might last a little longer than silver. too bad NGK dont make them, those in my opinion were the nicest plugs Ive ever used...but MSD has a pretty good rep- I'll be sure to look before paying, those darn champions cost me 112 bucks, are still in the garage somewhere...Summit would take them back, but I was afraid they might wind up in someone elses motor...

in the end, they are just spark plugs- basically any plug will spark, motor will run... any should work OK- but please look here first:

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...5/#post6169868

http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/must...ml#post1421680

Last edited by ford4v429; 5/21/15 at 07:38 PM.
Old 5/21/15, 08:04 PM

Totally agree about the MSD iridium plugs lasting longer over Brisk silver and if only MSD offered them in 1 degree colder plug? they would definitely be my 1st choice..

However, I'm running forced induction and must use a colder degree spark plug.. So it's either Brisk silver or I stick with my Autolite HT0 2 piece plugs

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 5/17/24 at 01:22 PM.
Old 5/21/15, 08:16 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 669 Likes on 542 Posts
I'm assuming you're talking about a 4.6 in a 2005-2008 with the black coil packs and the two piece plugs, and not a 2008.5-2010 version with the brown coil packs and one pieces?

If so, you might wanna read this:
https://themustangsource.com/forums/...-plugs-522706/

I offer that up as a source of help for ya, OP. I myself did not hesitate to put back in the two piece plugs, as with the anti-seize, it shouldn't be a problem anymore. The anti-seize is not just to keep it from seizing, it's to plug up the crevice that the old plug without it would build up carbon.

I have confidence that in another 70-80K, when these plugs are ready to be swapped, they will just come on out.

The brand of anti-seize doesn't matter. The TYPE does. You MUST get the Nickel 2400 degree anti-seize, for the sole purpose of metallurgical reasons. Putting the copper kind in there will be a bad idea(tm), for example.

Any carb cleaner will do, B2 is fine, but also get PB Blaster for a followup. The carb will clean/break up the carbon, but it will evaporate. The PB will not clean/break up the carbon, but it will lubricate the works so the plug will hopefully be easier to come out. My theory anyway.

Hope this and the thread help ya on it. Good luck!

Last edited by houtex; 5/21/15 at 08:18 PM.
Old 5/22/15, 07:18 AM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 1,014 Likes on 630 Posts
Just curious why you are changing plugs with 21k miles??
Old 5/22/15, 08:39 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by NC07GTCS
Just curious why you are changing plugs with 21k miles??
Fear of breaking and seizing. Would it be better if I take it off and applying anti seize on it...putting it back in? I removed half of it at 15000 mi (driver side) and put it back in but I don't remember what I applied on it but it wasn't anti seize. I did this removal back 5 years ago thinking they will come out with a non breakable plugs by now but I guess only a three manufacturer msd, champion and Brisk which is not a high mileage plugs except for champion came out with this one piece plugs.

What is the part number for the MSD plugs?
Old 5/22/15, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by st06vert
Fear of breaking and seizing. Would it be better if I take it off and applying anti seize on it...putting it back in? I removed half of it at 15000 mi (driver side) and put it back in but I don't remember what I applied on it but it wasn't anti seize. I did this removal back 5 years ago thinking they will come out with a non breakable plugs by now but I guess only a three manufacturer msd, champion and Brisk which is not a high mileage plugs except for champion came out with this one piece plugs.

What is the part number for the MSD plugs?
Even when using nickel anti-seize, Ford still recommends following the TSB removal procedure of using Motorcraft carb cleaner.. So don't think for one moment that you no longer run the risk of breaking your plugs in the event you stop following the Ford recommended TSB procedure.. As nickel anti seize is just part of the removal process and not as a cure to prevent breakage..

If your interested in the Accel HP one piece plugs, just go to https://www.holley.com/products/igni...ugs/parts/8160

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 5/17/24 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Updated Product Link
Old 5/22/15, 01:35 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by houtex
I'm assuming you're talking about a 4.6 in a 2005-2008 with the black coil packs and the two piece plugs, and not a 2008.5-2010 version with the brown coil packs and one pieces?

If so, you might wanna read this:
https://themustangsource.com/forums/...-plugs-522706/

I offer that up as a source of help for ya, OP. I myself did not hesitate to put back in the two piece plugs, as with the anti-seize, it shouldn't be a problem anymore. The anti-seize is not just to keep it from seizing, it's to plug up the crevice that the old plug without it would build up carbon.

Houtex's advice is a life saver. Used his directions to successfully change my plugs out at 115k.

Listen to ford4v429 and don't bother with anything other than OEM. (unless you have forced induction and need something else)

Just get Permatex nickel anti-seize from Amazon, the PB Blaster and Gunk carburetor cleaner and you're good to go!

OH, and as discussed in another recent thread don't forget to have your Lisle broken spark plug tool handy. You'll need it. Ask me how I know... LOL
Old 5/23/15, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by mrkabc
Listen to ford4v429 and don't bother with anything other than OEM. (unless you have forced induction and need something else)
First off, ford4v429 never mentioned anything in his recommendation to not bother with anything other than OEM.. His post clearly stated about his negative experience with Champion platinum spark plugs only and not with the brisk silver or MSD 1 piece iridium plugs.. Therefore this is strictly your opinion and yours alone..

Perhaps if Ford had bothered to design a one piece spark plug for the 3-valve heads from the very beginning as they should had done ? They would've saved themselves a ton of money from having to redesign the 3 valve heads in 2008 along with the revised 12mm one piece spark plug to begin with and also prevented all 2005-early 2008 owners from all the stress and aggravation from having to worry about Ford's 2 piece design plugs breaking inside the heads in the first place

Just get Permatex nickel anti-seize from Amazon, the PB Blaster and Gunk carburetor cleaner and you're good to go!
In the meantime, I'll just stick with Motorcraft carb cleaner and Motorcraft high temp nickel anti-seize just as Ford recommends in their TSB removal procedure..

With that being said.. I'd much rather take my chances by looking into the Brisk silver one piece design plugs than have to worry about whether or not Ford's OEM 2 piece plugs are going to end up breaking inside the heads which IMO is the far better solution over the Lisle broken spark plug tool

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 5/23/15 at 10:44 AM.
Old 5/23/15, 10:40 AM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
I'm supercharged but I went with the brisk one piece and would do so even if I were not FI. I used PB blaster and the appropriate anti seize. But I pulled the first plugs at maybe 7,000 miles when I did the supercharger so it was easy.
Old 5/23/15, 10:51 AM

Luckily none of my plugs broke, as my GT had only 12,500 miles when we extracted them by following Ford's TSB removal procedure..

And I'll most definitely be looking into the Brisk silver plugs as well

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 5/23/15 at 10:53 AM.
Old 5/23/15, 01:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Gotta love ford, I have been changing spark plugs with our other cars and not worry about anything breaking. I am aging quickly as I research and read about this. After 8 years no fix but at least they came up with a tool for it.

I will get a one piece so I dont worry about this next time.

Thanks everyone for the help.

I bought anti seize, pb blaster, deciding on what plugs to get.

Last edited by st06vert; 5/23/15 at 01:42 PM.
Old 5/23/15, 06:26 PM
legacy Tms Member

I just ordered the MSDs from summit(just under $120), might tackle them next weekend... just changed oil, wiped down the undercarriage(I always take a extra 15 minutes to take a rag and wipe the underside down with the old oil- still like new underneath, and >9 yrs old), checked/greased the frontend- ready for the track maybe next week
Attached Thumbnails S-197 Spark Plug for 4.6 Discussion N/A & Supercharged!-clean.jpg  
Old 5/24/15, 05:38 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
First off, ford4v429 never mentioned anything in his recommendation to not bother with anything other than OEM.. His post clearly stated about his negative experience with Champion platinum spark plugs only and not with the brisk silver or MSD 1 piece iridium plugs.. Therefore this is strictly your opinion and yours alone..

Easy there cowboy! I've been around long enough to remember ford4v429's (and others) original saga with the Champion one piece plugs, complete with illustrations of shoddy quality control. The consensus at the time was that Champion/Brisk/ND (IIRC) were all non-starters due to poor quality.

Therefore, in my opinion, and mine alone, I decided to stick with the devil I knew and go back with the Motorcraft 2 piece plugs that lasted 115k miles the first go-around. I fully expect the replacement OEM plugs to do the same, and next time around since I have Houtex's instructions, used the Permatex nickel anti-seize and I have my trusty Lisle tool to remove any broken plugs I am good to go.

That's the basis for my advice. Of course, advice on the Internet is like anything else: taken with a large quantity of grains of salt. As the man once said, "you pays your money, you takes your chances!"
Old 5/24/15, 08:23 PM

Easy there cowboy! I've been around long enough to remember ford4v429's (and others) original saga with the Champion one piece plugs, complete with illustrations of shoddy quality control. The consensus at the time was that Champion/Brisk/ND (IIRC) were all non-starters due to poor quality.
Perhaps (others) may had encountered issues with the Brisk plugs, however Brenspeed highly recommends them to many of their customers and I don't recall reading any negative reviews on their website.. I'm sure your also quite aware of Brenspeed's reputation as Brent and his staff are regarded as one of the best tuners in the industry and have specialized in performance tuning for the 3 valve Mustangs for over 10 years.. In addition, when it comes to quality, they thoroughly test every product before selling to their customers..

I know this from personal experience as I've purchased parts for my Mustang from them for nearly 10 years and haven't been disappointed yet..

As for the Champion platinum 1 piece plugs are concerned, I couldn't agree more regarding their poor manufacturing quality and personally I wouldn't put them in my car even if Champion were to offer them to me for free after all the negative feedback from Tim (ford4v429) and from many others as well..

I'm also awaiting to find (ford4v429's) review of the MSD 1 piece iridium spark plugs as he recently ordered a set for his Stang..

In the meantime, I'll be looking into purchasing a set of the Brisk silver 1 piece plugs from Brenspeed when the time comes to replace my current Autolite HT0 2 piece plugs, as I can't use the MSD's being as they're not available in a colder degree spark plug for forced induction applications..

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 5/17/24 at 02:02 PM.
Old 5/24/15, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by ford4v429
I just ordered the MSDs from summit(just under $120), might tackle them next weekend... just changed oil, wiped down the undercarriage(I always take a extra 15 minutes to take a rag and wipe the underside down with the old oil- still like new underneath, and >9 yrs old), checked/greased the frontend- ready for the track maybe next week
Definitely let us all know how the MSD's work out for you Tim, as I'd much prefer to use a 1 piece design plug that will last nearly as long as OEM and perhaps down the road, MSD will come out with a colder degree spark plug for forced induction applications as well

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 5/17/24 at 02:03 PM.
Old 5/24/15, 08:49 PM
legacy Tms Member

I dunno, but I have only ever heard good things about Brisk, they sound like a great plug - I ordered MSD as they have a generally good reputation and hope the indium or whatever electrodes would last little longer than the Brisk- but just a guess...
A lot of folks run autolites, just use the new antiseize, and read of a couple folks that pull and recoat every couple yrs. they are obviously a good plug- and only choice for other heat ranges

in my thinking though (would love to see a dyno comparison) the closed electrode of the Autolites would tend to shroud the spark a little more than a normal plug(but the smaller heat conduction path-one ended- might tend to let the ground run hotter/tend to ping slightly more?) and I would kinda imagine slightly better burnwith the open electrode...
many yrs ago(85) I picked up one of the first LT250R quadracers in Ohio...loved that thing...290 pounds, 39hp, was a absolute blast. anyway, always tinkering, it ran best on amoco unleaded and bel-ray MC1 at a very lean 80:1 mix- ring life sucked, but she ran reringed usually 2-3 times a yr, always saw a wedge shaped shadow behind the ground electrode when pulling the head- got me thinking...it liked NGK plugs best, often got a yr out of one... tried something- cut the ground very short, heated/rebent to gap 'sideways'... thing ran incredibly better, including idling lower, instant throttle response off idle...that plug was still in it 5-6 yrs later when I got rid of it- wouldnt be surprised if still running on it, and never saw the carbon 'shadow' again. in my goofy thinking, all plugs are made wrong- anything blocking that spark cant be good, unshrouding/sidegapping should be normal... there were some on the market that fired around the electrode, but I think a more single point would make a more consistent spark- and bet there is something very real about 'indexing' plugs- but what direction? just opinions

Anyways, will get some closeup pics of the MSDs when they show up (summit had to drop ship, couldnt just go pick up...probably a good thing, every trip up there we end up buying more than expected), but expect the MSD stuff to be fine

Last edited by ford4v429; 5/24/15 at 08:51 PM.
Old 5/24/15, 10:22 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 669 Likes on 542 Posts
Guys and gals...

It can be agreed that no matter which plug you personally prefer, it's totally your call. You have to live with the benefits/consequences of your decision, and that's just fine and dandy.

I myself have a stock motor. And I could have gotten other plugs, but... meh. Stock's fine. I am good with the decision and the engine seems to be as well.

Have fun deciding/figuring out which plugs are best for you!
Old 5/25/15, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by ford4v429
I dunno, but I have only ever heard good things about Brisk, they sound like a great plug - I ordered MSD as they have a generally good reputation and hope the indium or whatever electrodes would last little longer than the Brisk- but just a guess...
A lot of folks run autolites, just use the new antiseize, and read of a couple folks that pull and recoat every couple yrs. they are obviously a good plug- and only choice for other heat ranges

in my thinking though (would love to see a dyno comparison) the closed electrode of the Autolites would tend to shroud the spark a little more than a normal plug(but the smaller heat conduction path-one ended- might tend to let the ground run hotter/tend to ping slightly more?) and I would kinda imagine slightly better burnwith the open electrode...
many yrs ago(85) I picked up one of the first LT250R quadracers in Ohio...loved that thing...290 pounds, 39hp, was a absolute blast. anyway, always tinkering, it ran best on amoco unleaded and bel-ray MC1 at a very lean 80:1 mix- ring life sucked, but she ran reringed usually 2-3 times a yr, always saw a wedge shaped shadow behind the ground electrode when pulling the head- got me thinking...it liked NGK plugs best, often got a yr out of one... tried something- cut the ground very short, heated/rebent to gap 'sideways'... thing ran incredibly better, including idling lower, instant throttle response off idle...that plug was still in it 5-6 yrs later when I got rid of it- wouldnt be surprised if still running on it, and never saw the carbon 'shadow' again. in my goofy thinking, all plugs are made wrong- anything blocking that spark cant be good, unshrouding/sidegapping should be normal... there were some on the market that fired around the electrode, but I think a more single point would make a more consistent spark- and bet there is something very real about 'indexing' plugs- but what direction? just opinions

Anyways, will get some closeup pics of the MSDs when they show up (summit had to drop ship, couldnt just go pick up...probably a good thing, every trip up there we end up buying more than expected), but expect the MSD stuff to be fine
Tim! After reading over your reply, perhaps I should just stick with the Autolite HT0 plugs... Afterall, Saleen does recommend them for the series VI blower and are the exact heat range Saleen requires...

At any rate, I've been running them since last October and have been really pleased with them as far as performance goes and being they're a platinum spark plug, I hope they'll last for at least up to 30-50k miles?

As I mentioned in an earlier post, none of my OEM plugs broke despite the fact they were the original factory installed plugs that were 8 years old and had approx 12,500 miles on them when we changed over to the Autolite HT0's...

Anyhow as long as I continue to follow Ford's TSB removal procedure, I don't foresee any problems with plugs breaking... However, I will invest in both the OTC spark plug tool and the Lisle broken spark plug kit for insurance just in case

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 9/28/23 at 04:46 PM. Reason: typo error correction

Quick Reply: S-197 Spark Plug for 4.6 Discussion N/A & Supercharged!