2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Rear Bumper Warping In Sun Light

Search this Thread

Old 8/31/10, 03:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear Bumper Warping In Sun Light

Has anyone seen or heard this? I have been without my car for ten straight days tomorrow.

When I first picked up the new car on July 16th I noticed that where the bottom outside corner of the left tail light meets the bumper it didn’t fit perfectly. Not bad, jut not perfect. It was the type of thing that I could never seriously complain about. Two weeks later I happened to catch a view of the rear of the car after it had been sitting in the sun. The gap in the bumper was much larger; I could slip my finger nail in behind the plastic of the bumper. Later when the car cooled in the garage the gap closed.

I spoke to the dealership, set an appointment, brought the car in for service and it was returned to me the same day. The fit looked a little tighter, again not perfect but looked better than before. Now of course it was an overcast day when I picked up the car, no sun. Two days later the sun was back and the distortion was worse. This time when I called about scheduling service I was told the plan would be to take the car to the body shop. I dropped the car off first thing in the morning on the August 23rd. I got a call on Friday the 27th and was told that a bracket was replaced, I don’t know what bracket or where, but I was also informed that it didn’t work and more time was needed with the car. Today I get the call that it's still not ready. The body shop used epoxy to try and hold the bumper in place. They sat the car in the sun to test it and it warped as before. Now they want more cure time for the glue. First, I don’t like the idea of glue being used on my new car. My new car should work like everyone else’s new car without glue. What happens when it dries out and or moisture gets in there and freezes in the winter? Glue will fail eventually.

I have looked around and haven’t read of anyone else having this issue. Below are some pictures of what I am talking about. Any ideas on what seems to be the problem?

Last edited by Chad; 8/31/10 at 03:04 PM.
Old 8/31/10, 03:05 PM
GT Member

I just noticed this on my car too....
Old 8/31/10, 03:16 PM
Cobra Member

I haven't noticed this on mine yet but then again i haven't looked.

Its been really hot all week so i'll have to see if it happens.

I agree about the glue though, the car shouldnt have to be glued lol
Old 8/31/10, 03:19 PM
Cobra Member

Glue is a BS fix and black paint makes it worse, since it abosobs heat more and because it magnifys any defects. Maybe others will report on their experience. That would bother me too.
Old 8/31/10, 03:21 PM
Cobra R Member

Kinda bizarre, never really noticed myself... But wouldn't it have an inverse relation? So when it's super cold it'll be really tight / almost buckling?

I'll take note of this when ever I have it out next time...

P.S. Car wash.
Old 8/31/10, 03:23 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
when I picked up my 06 one side of the rear bumper wasnt snapped in- was sticking out like a inch I had requested hands off/check it out when I get there, got it with all the tape still on it...the bumper just snapped in, but it looked like there was double sided tape in there too- just hard to see...never moved since day one. I think epoxy would be a mistake- it dont have any give to it and the plastic/metal expansion rates will pop it loose eventually- my worry would be the paint pulling with it...they shoulda used 3M VHB tape like everything else they stick on...it holds and allows some flex.
Old 8/31/10, 03:28 PM
Bullitt Member

that would absolutely **** me off if my car did that. Will have to take a closer look in hot weather..

and dude, hose that mug down lol..
Old 8/31/10, 03:39 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Its a common flaw on the 05-09. The fix is an easy modification of the bracket.

Barricade explained it here:

https://themustangsource.com/f637/re...-cover-485669/
Old 8/31/10, 04:08 PM
Cobra R Member

i would ask for whole new rear bumper cover...glue No Thanks!

revell yes...real car NO

Old 8/31/10, 04:11 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There's nothing wrong with the bumper cover. The bracket isn't positioned quite right for the cover to stay clipped to it.
Old 8/31/10, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by cdynaco
There's nothing wrong with the bumper cover. The bracket isn't positioned quite right for the cover to stay clipped to it.

Thanks for the link, I should have found that, the post isn't that old. The bumper was adjusted to the bracket or so I thought the first time it was brought in. The second time they replaced the bracket all together. Hopefully they get it right.
Old 8/31/10, 04:58 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
My '07 sits in the sunlight all day every day, here in Las Vegas. I've never had that problem.

And I installed a CS bumper on the car myself 3 years ago. Still fits great.

Hopefully the new bracket does the trick for you.
Old 8/31/10, 05:54 PM
GT Member

I looked at my 2010 no issues, but i noticed that back bumper assembly is pretty flimsy, i guess its designed that way to absorb impacts...
Old 9/9/10, 09:50 PM
Bullitt Member

Was at a dealer in San Jose today and every non-white 2011 rear bumper was doing that in the sun. All 8 of them. Red, kona, charcoal.
Old 9/9/10, 10:24 PM
legacy Tms Member

Originally Posted by jmatero
Was at a dealer in San Jose today and every non-white 2011 rear bumper was doing that in the sun. All 8 of them. Red, kona, charcoal.
wouldnt it be ironic if after most of the rear bumper comments finally faded away, they end up with a tsb or recall on the thing too...

I betcha a few folks at ford have been getting a ear full- I sure hope so anyway, parts should NOT be expanding beyond the mounting compliance on a new car, and to whatever dealer wanted to 'glue' that guys new car's bumper back on with epoxy...

if they didnt design enough compliance in the mounting for thermal growth, someone dropped the ball bad...hopefully paint adhesion near the mounting clips wont become a long term issue if the plastics pulling that hard...never heard of the issue till recently, hopefully its just a more recent supplier issue with the clips or something like that...
Old 9/9/10, 10:31 PM
legacy Tms Member

Originally Posted by kona stang10
I looked at my 2010 no issues, but i noticed that back bumper assembly is pretty flimsy, i guess its designed that way to absorb impacts...
most new car bumpers are as flimsy as they can be made for cost/weight reasons- they used to be urethane, would bend/bend back in a light impact- now just plastic, usually they bust up now when hit, so its not really a 'bumper' anymore...
pull the thing off and theres just a big styrofoam 'impact absorber', then the unibody...it looks pathetically cheep, and probably is, but it does seem to do a good job compared to the old days...the car dont survive, but the passengers usually do, so its a good trade-off
Old 9/9/10, 10:36 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
Hmmm.. gonna have to check mine now...
Old 9/10/10, 10:00 AM

The weight of the full black diaper is obviously taking its effect!
Old 9/10/10, 12:02 PM
Bullitt Member

Mine doesn't do that...I guess the Roush diaper doesn't hold enough to weigh it down.
Old 9/10/10, 01:21 PM
Bullitt Member

Mine does it too.

Quick Reply: Rear Bumper Warping In Sun Light