Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Crazy Passenger Side Wiper Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 6/2/17, 11:46 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Crazy Passenger Side Wiper Vibration

Here's a weird one for you guys. Out of nowhere, a couple weeks ago, my car started getting this obnoxious rattle/vibration coming from the passenger side wiper. I know that's where it comes from because it immediately stops if I turn on the wipers. Hear it here:

I've already done the obvious (replaced the wiper blade), which made no difference. I've now got a new wiper arm on order from the dealer parts desk. Since that was only $28, I figured it was worth the next try.

Any other ideas?
Old 6/2/17, 04:46 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts
Might be rattling against the cowl, check if it needs to be re seated?
The following users liked this post:
kylerohde (6/13/17)
Old 6/2/17, 06:33 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Check the cowl where the cabin filter cover is.
kylerohde (6/13/17)
Old 6/12/17, 01:29 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 390 Likes on 287 Posts
Originally Posted by dusman59
Check the cowl where the cabin filter cover is.
That was my first thought Kyle. Also check the foam in, and around the cowl. There's been quite a lot of Ford tucks that have had buzzing, and squeaking from that damnable foam padding. Good Luck.
kylerohde (6/13/17)
Old 6/13/17, 06:11 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Thank you @wanted33 / @dusman59 / @cavero

So I'm out here messing around trying to find anything that looks like it would be making the noise...and I cannot figure anything out. I removed both wiper arms (replacing the passenger side one) and remounted both of them, with no luck. I'm thinking about removing them completely and going for a drive to see if the noise disappears.

Here's the cowl area - nothing looks amiss to me though there is that empty mounting hole just to the right of the 2nd cabin air filter cowl plastic fastener?

Other than that, I wasn't sure if the entire cowl is supposed to be loose like this? I've never tried to pull it back so maybe that's normal but I just never noticed. There's no adhesive residue so guessing it's fine?
wanted33 (6/18/17)
Old 6/18/17, 12:06 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Just a though Kyle. If the noise is still there take a spring loaded clip, place the clip on the cowl along the ridge where the push pins are, and take 'er for a drive. If it's the cowl that should stop the vibration. Locating noises like that can be quite frustrating. Good luck
Old 6/18/17, 04:41 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by wanted33
Just a though Kyle. If the noise is still there take a spring loaded clip, place the clip on the cowl along the ridge where the push pins are, and take 'er for a drive. If it's the cowl that should stop the vibration. Locating noises like that can be quite frustrating. Good luck
Thank you!

I was able to figure out that the noise goes away when I remove the passenger wiper and tape down the passenger side of the cowl.

Is the cowl area at the bottom of the windshield completely unattached to the windshield itself, for you guys? Wondering if wind going under there is causing.
Old 6/22/17, 01:52 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by kylerohde
Thank you!

Is the cowl area at the bottom of the windshield completely unattached to the windshield itself, for you guys? Wondering if wind going under there is causing.
Nothing to it to remove the cowl, just a bit aggravating. It is much easier if you remove both wiper arms first. Then remove the push pins, push up on the cowl, and pull it forward. It may at times require a bit of colorful language. And while you're in there go ahead and change the cabin air filter. It's probably dirty.