Notices
Suspension, Brakes, and Tire Tech Place to discuss suspension mods for all models

Does this look normal to you?

Search this Thread

Old 4/8/16, 11:50 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Siber Express
After you take a nut off you will see there is no room for it to move, so don't worry about it.
Thank you!!!!
Old 4/15/16, 10:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Actually, nothing is really "wrong" with your installation, OP. I have the J&M plates too -- and my passenger side strut shaft alignment looks exactly like yours. (The driver's side shaft is exactly centered.) No pulling, however, and the camber is within normal range. I've put 12K miles on the car since the installation with no problems, so my take is "working as intended".

You've been given some erroneous information on the J&M plates. The plates can be turned square-side inboard or round-side inboard, depending on how much adjustment you need. I suspect your shop maxed out the adjustment on the square-side inboard, which is why it's shoved so far to one side; if you need more, turn the plate around. If not, then it can be left as is.

Last edited by Gear Poet; 4/15/16 at 10:37 AM.
Old 4/15/16, 12:05 PM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Gear Poet
Actually, nothing is really "wrong" with your installation, OP. I have the J&M plates too -- and my passenger side strut shaft alignment looks exactly like yours. (The driver's side shaft is exactly centered.) No pulling, however, and the camber is within normal range. I've put 12K miles on the car since the installation with no problems, so my take is "working as intended".

You've been given some erroneous information on the J&M plates. The plates can be turned square-side inboard or round-side inboard, depending on how much adjustment you need. I suspect your shop maxed out the adjustment on the square-side inboard, which is why it's shoved so far to one side; if you need more, turn the plate around. If not, then it can be left as is.
---
Thanks. It's all been corrected, camber set at -.7, strut tops are more centered (still a little out-board), all is good.
Old 4/23/16, 11:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Just discovered that my passenger side 'became' looking like this AFTER getting the alignment with new wheels n tires.

The 'Before' camber measurements came out -1.8 left, -2.8 right (way off). The After measurements are now -1.7 left, -1.8 right, which is great until I opened up my hood today trying to adjust the damping and saw this.

Is this something to be concerned about, I fear centering it might cause the camber to go off again. I'm thinking my coilovers were never installed properly??
Old 4/24/16, 06:00 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Originally Posted by PonyMuscletang13
Just discovered that my passenger side 'became' looking like this AFTER getting the alignment with new wheels n tires.

The 'Before' camber measurements came out -1.8 left, -2.8 right (way off). The After measurements are now -1.7 left, -1.8 right, which is great until I opened up my hood today trying to adjust the damping and saw this.

Is this something to be concerned about, I fear centering it might cause the camber to go off again. I'm thinking my coilovers were never installed properly??
Do you have CC plates, and which brand? Or did the coil overs come with mounts?

I have Steeda HD mounts with -2.0 and -2.1 camber and my damper adjusters are centered
Old 4/25/16, 09:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

I have BC-Racing BR series Coilovers. Now the front end is making some sort of clunk/thumping over bumps. Sounds like something is busted...argh.
Attached Thumbnails Does this look normal to you?-photo201.jpg   Does this look normal to you?-photo169.jpg  
Old 4/25/16, 10:00 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts
Who did the install work? Sounds like you need to take it back and have them recheck it
Old 4/26/16, 06:30 AM
Banned

What redonblack said. It looks like a nice setup, but it shouldn't make noises like that. Have then installer take a look.
Old 4/26/16, 01:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

A bit of misunderstanding, the coilovers were installed about a year ago. I got the alignment because of new wheels and tires.

These are the alignment measurements before and after. Clearly before is way off on passenger side, which means I ran like this for a year not knowing its off. But it was centered.

Now the cambers are set, the passenger side became 'not centered'. If I tried to center it, my guess is that the camber will go off again. But why is this?
Attached Thumbnails Does this look normal to you?-photo654.jpg   Does this look normal to you?-photo299.jpg  
Old 4/27/16, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by PonyMuscletang13
A bit of misunderstanding, the coilovers were installed about a year ago. I got the alignment because of new wheels and tires.

These are the alignment measurements before and after. Clearly before is way off on passenger side, which means I ran like this for a year not knowing its off. But it was centered.

Now the cambers are set, the passenger side became 'not centered'. If I tried to center it, my guess is that the camber will go off again. But why is this?
---
Your situation is same as me, and why I started this thread. Had my Eibach suspension in for years, no issues. Started to get some noise from the front suspension on street bumps, and it was increasing with time. Went to install J&M cc plates, and this strut-alignment situation popped up. I've since been back to my shop, they adjusted everything, and camber is perfect, and tops of the struts are a little more centered, but still outboard somewhat. Had the car on track, and handling was excellent, so I'm pleased. Also, street bump noises are reduced a lot now, too. So I'm assuming all is correct in my car now. I would like to know (as you ask) why this off-center issue occurs, and why more on the Passenger-side?
Old 4/28/16, 03:45 PM
GT Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Pete--Have you talked with J&M to see what they have to say about it?
Old 4/29/16, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by smike308
Pete--Have you talked with J&M to see what they have to say about it?
---
Hi, yes, both J&M and American Muscle...both say that the top facing outboard is normal. I've since been back to my shop, they adjusted everything, and camber is perfect, and tops of the struts are a little more centered, but still outboard somewhat. Had the car on track, and handling was excellent, so I'm pleased. Also, street bump noises are reduced a lot now, too. So I'm assuming all is correct in my car now.
Old 4/29/16, 07:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by PJRManagement
---
Hi, yes, both J&M and American Muscle...both say that the top facing outboard is normal. I've since been back to my shop, they adjusted everything, and camber is perfect, and tops of the struts are a little more centered, but still outboard somewhat. Had the car on track, and handling was excellent, so I'm pleased. Also, street bump noises are reduced a lot now, too. So I'm assuming all is correct in my car now.
Hey Pete, glad to hear it! I know noise was a big factor so I'm really glad the new setup handles great with no additional noise!
Old 4/29/16, 09:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

I have a theory on this off-center issue. Got the idea when I checked the front tires where the passenger side tire lines up flush with the fender but the drivers side is a little inward.

Something about the car's geometry not perfectly centered from the factory - shifted to the right - and the passenger side strut is taking a hit, correcting it by its camber. And maybe thats why its not being centered.
Old 4/30/16, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
Hey Pete, glad to hear it! I know noise was a big factor so I'm really glad the new setup handles great with no additional noise!
---
Thanks, yeah the noise with my OEM strut mounts is what started this whole ball rolling for me. I chose J&M because they completely replace the entire OEM strut mount (bottoms, too). When my shop got the J&M plates correct, my noise was greatly reduced.
Old 4/30/16, 02:30 PM

Here's where I'm at now, noise is greatly reduced, handling is great, all good. See pics:

Old 4/30/16, 03:34 PM
Bullitt Member

My passenger strut is inboard further than my driver side. I run 2.0° -2.1° negative camber. Only noticed it when I went that far negative. I'll have to take a picture and show you.
Like you, my car handles great and lap times are getting faster.
I know that my passenger wheel is in further because I did a front in alignment in my garage with string
Old 5/1/16, 05:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Here is mine
Attached Thumbnails Does this look normal to you?-photo615.jpg   Does this look normal to you?-photo698.jpg