05-09 My Color, IUP & Gt-500 Cluster, Gauge Face Topics 2005-2009 My Color, IUP & Gt-500 Cluster, Gauge Face Topics

MY COLOR 2005-2009 S-197 Gen 1 Premium Gauge Assembly 4 gauge to 6 gauge swap

Search this Thread

Old 3/9/22, 02:58 PM
BRD
V6 Member

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
MY COLOR 2005-2009 S-197 Gen 1 Premium Gauge Assembly 4 gauge to 6 gauge swap

I know there are people that have done this before, and I did a search and couldn't find anything that answered my questions. I want to swap a 4 gauge instrument cluster for a 6 gauge one. I know I would need a donor 6 gauge panel and the 3 switch info buttons that go above the radio.

My questions are.....will either the V6 or V8 clusters work, other than the redline difference on the tach and the 120 vs 140 top end MPH on the gauge? My guess is probably not. And since mine is a 2008 with TPMS, I would need a cluster after 2007 so that would be compatible also. The big unknown is getting the correct mileage put into to the 6 guage to match the mileage on the car. Can Ford do that or would I need to ship it off somewhere? Or is this all just a bigger pain than it's worth?

RENAMED ALL THE MYCOLOR TOPICS AND I PUT ALL IN SAME SECTION!

KC Admin 09/29/2023
Old 3/9/22, 11:47 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
I have an 07 V6. It came with the stock 4 gauge panel. Not being sure either when I first ordered one from a used GT, I gave it a try. Surprisingly, not like the F150's, it is plug-and-play. I bought the MyColor cluster and the dash switch. Being it was an 07, the wiring for the switch was already there, so it was a 15-minute swap. The one I found used was within 1200 miles of my original. I ate the 1200 miles, lol.

That said, if you have one that doesn't have 4 wheel anti-lock brakes, and get a GT or Pony cluster, you will run into a dash light that stays on showing ANS brake malfunction. There are not any braking problems but that light can be annoying. You will have to go into the system with Forscan and toggle off the 4w abs. Also, you can turn off the TMPS if you wish that way.

But as far as it working, not a problem.

Old 3/10/22, 12:28 AM
BRD
V6 Member

Thanks. I do have ABS, so that shouldn't be an issue. I'll just need to get the mileage corrected most likely. I just realized today that the V6 clusters only go to 120 so I'm not sure they would work on a V8 with other differences?? Having that speedo to 140 is just an ego thing anyhow LOL And a cluster from 05 or 06 probably wouldn't work as I doubt they had TPMS warning light since that didn't kick in till 07. So I am looking for a 07 or later since I have the TPMS on my 08. The video I saw it looks like a pretty easy swap, and CJ's Mustang has the new info dash switch, so that is on the way now. I have the plug behind the dead panel above the radio, so that should be an easy plug and go.
Old 3/10/22, 02:57 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 669 Likes on 542 Posts
Get the Forscan software and cable. The software is free, the cable it wants most is not all that expensive. Windows laptop. Plug it all into the car, reprogram to your hearts content to get that mileage, MPH, and all kinds of other things you need solved. Ostensibly, that is, I've not done it myself, but I wanted to throw it out there in case it helps!
The following users liked this post:
BRD (3/11/22)
Old 3/12/22, 05:56 PM
BRD
V6 Member

My only concern is my laptop is running windows 11, and looking at the system requirements for FORScan, it only works up to 10. A lot of things are just not compatible with 11 yet.
Old 3/12/22, 07:50 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by BRD
My only concern is my laptop is running windows 11, and looking at the system requirements for FORScan, it only works up to 10. A lot of things are just not compatible with 11 yet.
In most cases, it runs faster with Windows 11. I'm running 10 but my buddy has 11 on his L/T and he says it's half again as fast as with 10. I say go for it.
BRD (3/13/22)
Old 3/13/22, 02:51 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 669 Likes on 542 Posts
11 shouldn't be that big a deal. Run it in compatibility mode at worst case, probably, make it 'think' it's running on 10 or 7 or such.
BRD (3/13/22)
Old 3/16/22, 02:58 PM
BRD
V6 Member

One of the easiest swaps I have ever done. Installed the info switch yesterday, speedo cluster came today via UPS. Took about 15 minutes and that was installed and up and running. All back lights and advisory lights work, gauges all work, speedo is dead on via gps. Now to get the mileage to be correct. Gonna try FORScan here in a couple days, if that doesn't work, I'll send it to someone that can. Highly recommend this easy swap to anyone thinking about it, seemed just gathering the parts was the hardest thing so far. Just remember, there are 2 6 gauge clusters out there, the 120 mph one comes from the V6 models, not sure if its compatible with the V8s. If you have the V8, get the 140 mph one, that's what you need. The info switch can be bought new at CJs Pony Parts.

Old 3/18/22, 06:55 PM
Legacy TMS Member

These S197's are very easy to swap out the speedo's on and work as plug and play. Great simple mod and update. The MyColor cluster is great on the eyes and easily adjusted. V6 or V8 clusters can swap without problems, just the ABS light as I mentioned above. There might be one other light on a Base model that might need turned off in Forscan, but otherwise, simple as hell swap.

As far as the mileage, you can't reset that thru Forscan or any other way. The cluster needs to be sent out to an authorized shop and depending on their policies, how they set the odometer to the correct mileage. Some will accept a picture, etc.

Glad to hear you got it in. Enjoy.
Old 3/18/22, 07:33 PM
BRD
V6 Member

I tried the Forscan today, could only read 5 modules, and couldn't find anything on the mileage, so that explains that. I'll send it off, no biggie. I'll have to do a little more research with what I could see, as I'll need spreadsheets to see what the values in the blocks are for whatever I'm looking at, but not really holding my breath.

I did play around with the colors some, very cool. I like the fact of the average MPG and miles left, etc with the new cluster. I realize the gauges aren't calibrated and just a step above an idiot light, but still nice to be able to see a little what's going on at least a little bit.
Old 3/24/22, 05:01 PM
Tms Mustang Member ------ The Customizer!

Received 130 Likes on 93 Posts
Awesome now all you need my kit to make it even cooler! haha.

Old 9/28/23, 10:41 AM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,861 Likes on 2,112 Posts
The Original My Color Topic!

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...ctions-400516/

Mgb,

KC
Old 9/28/23, 10:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know I'm a bit late but just checking to see what I need.

I have a 07 v6 Pony Package with the 4 gauge and am looking to upgrade to the 6 gauge with the my color and all the other goodies. For the cluster, both v6 and v8 work correct? Will anything else need to be reprogrammed besides the mileage, the v8s mph and tach would still work without reprogramming? I'm almost positive that my car has abs and I do know it has tpms so as long as I have a gauge with the tpms light I won't have any other random warning lights will I? The car should already have the plugs and I won't have to rewire anything right?
Old 9/28/23, 10:59 AM

I Posted Other Link As it Answers Some Other Questions.

I Had The First My Color Retrofit.

Have You Checked it Out??

If Not Check it Out and Then LMK Where You Want to Get Cluster.

Answers Will Also Be Subject to Where You Are Purchasing Replacement Cluster??

Used or Some Online Cluster Service???

Mgb,

KC
Old 9/30/23, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Bnanarang
I know I'm a bit late but just checking to see what I need.

I have a 07 v6 Pony Package with the 4 gauge and am looking to upgrade to the 6 gauge with the my color and all the other goodies. For the cluster, both v6 and v8 work correct? Will anything else need to be reprogrammed besides the mileage, the v8s mph and tach would still work without reprogramming? I'm almost positive that my car has abs and I do know it has tpms so as long as I have a gauge with the tpms light I won't have any other random warning lights will I? The car should already have the plugs and I won't have to rewire anything right?
@Bnanarang

If You Will Provide VIN Number, You Can Email If You Don't Want to Post To Clevparts@aol.com & Current Mileage. I Will Give You In my Opinion The Best Options For a Plug & Play Used Cluster. I Can't Gaurantee You Won't Have Issues But I Think I Can Provide The Best Chance!

You are Wanting The Standard My Color Base Model 120 Speedo 6 Gauge Correct?? Not Gt-500, Bullitt or Gt 140 My Color Speedo 6 Gauge???

Mgb,

Kc
Old 10/18/23, 05:05 AM
GT Member

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
I just got my first S197, '05 V6 Mustang. The 4 gauge cluster drives me absolutely nuts. I can't explain why but it really bothers me not having those other gauges. I can't find any 6 gauge clusters at the moment. eBay is nothing but "Send us your cluster and we will fix it" services. So for now I will have to replace the Steppers (Fuel and tach are messed up) in my current cluster but I will have continue the hunt for a 6 gauge cluster.

Stupid question, I think I know the difference between the V6 and V8 clusters but what is the differences with the GT500 and Bullitt clusters? What do they add to the equation?
Old 10/18/23, 06:09 AM
GT Member

Ok, new update, I found two 6 gauge clusters, one is the 120 mph and the other is a 140 mph. To be totally transparent I'm not going to try and fool anyone in believing that my car will never approach those speeds. So the 120 would be fine but there is a part of me that still wants to get the 140 mph cluster. If nothing but for aesthetics alone. If I understand the contents of this thread I should be able to do the swap and make any adjustments if needed through a laptop and that program someone mentioned earlier. All I would need to do is go get the mileage corrected at a Ford dealership, Am I correct with this train of thought?
Old 10/18/23, 10:29 AM

Don't Buy Anything Yet!

Look at Top Three Sticky Topics.

I'm Still Working on Finalizing!

What is Current Mileage on Car??

Have You Checked For the Wiring Yet??

https://themustangsource.com/forums/f892/

KC
Old 10/18/23, 10:35 AM
GT Member

From what I've seen in a couple videos the wore is right behind the blank out plate above the radio.

Last edited by dirkpitt289; 10/18/23 at 10:49 AM.
Old 10/18/23, 10:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I do know that the GT500 has 160 on the dash instead of the 120/140 and it also has a boost gauge instead of one of the four info gauges in the middle, if I remember correctly it also has a special Red White and Blue MyColor option.
dirkpitt289 (10/18/23)

Quick Reply: MY COLOR 2005-2009 S-197 Gen 1 Premium Gauge Assembly 4 gauge to 6 gauge swap