Custom Vanity Personalized License Plates & Brackets /Delete Brackets Threads Over The Years With Members Custom Plates

How did you get your Mustang without a front license plate bracket already installed?

Search this Thread

Old 2/20/15, 06:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How did you get your Mustang without a front license plate bracket already installed?

I live in California and every single dealer screws license plate brackets the second the car gets delivered(its the law here ). I want one without the front plate, I feel it takes a lot away from the aggressive front styling especially on the 2015 models. I can probably special order and ask them not to put it on but then i'd have to wait a few months. For those of you who got it without the bracket on, how did you do it?!
Old 2/20/15, 06:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Get one from a state that doesn't require front plates. Like North Carolina or Arizona.
Old 2/20/15, 07:22 PM

I also live in California. When looking at the car on the lot, I noticed no holes drilled on the front fender and that the holder was sitting in the trunk.

During the buying process, I forgot about this. I did not check or tell them not to put it on. It was not until I got home that I realized that I did not tell them about this, as I was going to buy the sto-n-sho bracket later.

I was lucky, the dealer had not put the front license plate holder on.

Now I have the front nice and clean with the license plate low on the bottom of the bumper. Getting lots of comments about how the placement looks better here than it would have otherwise.
Old 2/20/15, 07:23 PM
Cobra Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
Washington State also requires a front plate but I told my dealer they were NOT to put the bracket on. Mine was a car I ordered rather than one from stock. I repeated it several times and they paid attention. Note that the front bumper will still have very small dimples (hardly noticeable) that are molded in as 'pilot holes' for the dealers to drill the bumper when installing the bracket. I had checked with the Washington State Patrol about the way I planned to mount my front plate and was told I should never have a problem. You can read the entire state name and the entire plate number.

I used a bench vise to 'fold over' the top and bottom edges of the plate. I then attached short strips of aluminum to the plate with very short bolts with lock washers and nuts. I inserted long bolts through holes in the aluminum strips before attaching them to the plate. Those bolts went through openings in the lower grill and through another strip of aluminum and were secured with lock washers and nuts. I think it looks pretty decent and I have had NO cooling problems in almost 29K miles. Because of the way the plate is secured it does not touch any painted surfaces and doesn't move at all.

Last edited by tukatz; 2/20/15 at 07:25 PM.
Old 2/20/15, 08:28 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You instruct them before delivery - no holes drilled, no dealer stickers.
Old 2/20/15, 10:38 PM

Sounds like you got lucky, now I have to hunt for ones without holes and in the deep impact blue color lol. I like that idea of attaching it to the grill, will definitely do that to save some money and keep it legal and looking nice.

A bit off topic but I don't want to start a new thread...... which do you guys think will keep a better resale value and won't depreciate as fast, V6 or the ecoboost? And by how much? Thinking about getting the ecoboost over the V6 but I can't stand the exhaust sound (even aftermarket ones). It does seem like a better choice in every other aspect though
Old 2/20/15, 11:16 PM
GT Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My state requires a plate... I make it clear to my salesman that they aren't to install the plate, and it is a deal-breaker for me.

They didn't on my 2012, and have assured me they wont on my 2015.

When I looked at the 2015's on the lot, I noticed that none of the GT's had front plates installed, but all of the other Mustangs. They apparently don't put them on the GT until they sell in case a buyer like me doesn't want it... sucks for the ecoboost guy that doesn't want it.
Old 2/20/15, 11:50 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 212 Likes on 145 Posts
My dealer KNOWS me. No drilling and no stickers. The insurance guy is instructed to inform me of the law, but my dealer handed me the plate and said do what you will.
I factory ordered mine.
Old 2/21/15, 02:26 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by simon182
Sounds like you got lucky,
Originally Posted by DarrenGT
I factory ordered mine.
Same here.
Old 2/21/15, 08:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

I told the guys about 5-times to NOT drill holes and mount the plate bracket, and if they did, I would not accept delivery. The one sitting on the dealership lots usually don't have the brackets installed, it something they do when they are washing and prepping the for delivery.

Last edited by kn7671; 2/21/15 at 08:49 AM.
Old 2/21/15, 09:56 AM
GT Member

On a related note, I also tell my dealer that I will not accept the car if they put their dealership sticker on it. I'm paying them for a car, they are not paying me to advertise for them.

I will allow the rear license plate frame (which will be removed when it hits my driveway), but that is it.
Old 2/21/15, 09:58 AM
Cobra Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Skrapmetal
On a related note, I also tell my dealer that I will not accept the car if they put their dealership sticker on it. I'm paying them for a car, they are not paying me to advertise for them.

I will allow the rear license plate frame (which will be removed when it hits my driveway), but that is it.
Thats the thing that pisses me off the most, the **** dealer sticker. Fortunately for me, when I got my '14 they only put on a dealer plate frame.
Old 2/21/15, 10:02 AM
GT Member

Yup... I bought my Lightning used from the dealer I still use, and it already had the sticker. I made them remove it but unfortunately they scuffed the paint a little when they did. Not bad, but black shows everything.

Now when I go in, I tell the salesman from the very start that front plate holes and a dealer sticker are deal breakers for me. They used to put up a front that they didn't have a choice on the dealer sticker, but in the end they want to make the sale.

You have the money, you have the power. Put your foot down and don't take less than what you want. Of course, this doesn't apply if you live in a state that legally requires them to install the plate bracket on delivery... my state only requires that a plate bracket be provided.