Limited Edition 50th

My Limited Edition body panels don't fit well.

Search this Thread

Old 12/30/14, 11:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you

Last edited by stang1; 12/30/14 at 12:08 PM.
Old 12/30/14, 08:44 PM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any updates?
Old 12/31/14, 03:08 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by stang1
. I took the car to my dealer today and it is a wrinkle in the metal. It will take repainting the complete rear quarter panel. The body shop manager is worried about a good match to the Wimbledon White.
Before you write this car off, I would suggest you take it to a Paintless Dent Repair shop and have them look at the panel. These people can do wonders. I had someone open an SUV door into the rear driver's side door on my '13 Tuxedo Black SHO. The dent was about 4" long between the window and the center of the door. The Paintless Dent repair made it disappear, completely! I kid you not, it looked like brand new.

Quite honestly, I would love an LE, but we only have one dealer in the city and it disappeared from his inventory as soon as it arrived. Three other towns around me have Ford dealers and they were never allocated one, apparently. In fact I drove to a dealer, 48 miles from my house, to get the Echoboost, because the other dealers were all ordering 5.0's.

So, my .02, if you really liked the car when you first saw it, give it a chance, you may be surprised.

Last edited by SD CALSPCL; 12/31/14 at 03:09 PM.
Old 12/31/14, 05:14 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by SD CALSPCL
Before you write this car off, I would suggest you take it to a Paintless Dent Repair shop and have them look at the panel. These people can do wonders. I had someone open an SUV door into the rear driver's side door on my '13 Tuxedo Black SHO. The dent was about 4" long between the window and the center of the door. The Paintless Dent repair made it disappear, completely! I kid you not, it looked like brand new. Quite honestly, I would love an LE, but we only have one dealer in the city and it disappeared from his inventory as soon as it arrived. Three other towns around me have Ford dealers and they were never allocated one, apparently. In fact I drove to a dealer, 48 miles from my house, to get the Echoboost, because the other dealers were all ordering 5.0's. So, my .02, if you really liked the car when you first saw it, give it a chance, you may be surprised.
Agreed. And if it makes you feel any better, your car is more rare than the other 1963 because of its flaws. That may not mean much now, but if you bought it to store it, it might.

Just trying to lighten the mood
Old 12/31/14, 08:35 PM
SUPERCHARGED RED ROCKET ------------------Master-Moderator

Received 2,227 Likes on 1,780 Posts
Originally Posted by laserred38
Agreed. And if it makes you feel any better, your car is more rare than the other 1963 because of its flaws. That may not mean much now, but if you bought it to store it, it might.

Just trying to lighten the mood
Patrick ! Hopefully Ford will give his dealership the authorization in fixing his body panels/flaws, if he's really as unhappy as I assume
Old 12/31/14, 08:40 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
Patrick ! Hopefully Ford will give his dealership the authorization in fixing his body panels/flaws, if he's really as unhappy as I assume
Oh no, I agree. But every now and then you come across a car at Barrett Jackson that is worth more because of weird issues with it. People are strange and sometimes they would rather have a car that's not perfect, than one that is...
Old 12/31/14, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by laserred38
Oh no, I agree. But every now and then you come across a car at Barrett Jackson that is worth more because of weird issues with it. People are strange and sometimes they would rather have a car that's not perfect, than one that is...
Your bring up a very good point, as I didn't realize that until you just brought it to my attention now
Old 12/31/14, 08:53 PM

Thanks for the advice guys, the dealer suggested a ding repair guy which sounded a little crazy at first but I am thinking that may be the way to go. I think whatever works and reduces the repainting of the car is by far my best option. I am now working with someone at Ford (Autumn) I guess she is a regional manager in customer care. I had to really bite my tongue when she compared my LE to a brand new Fusion she purchased; where something had to be fixed and it stressed her. I'm pretty sure she has no idea what a collector car is or what happens when one has to be repainted.
Old 12/31/14, 11:47 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I un-wrap my LE next week. I'll be looking it over real good before I sign any papers!
Old 1/1/15, 12:10 AM
Post *****

To be honest, there are so many issues with the body, I cannot believe this car ever passed QC.
True... we want to think they actually have an inspection. Especially a SE/LE.

I took the car to my dealer today and it is a wrinkle in the metal. It will take repainting the complete rear quarter panel. The body shop manager is worried about a good match to the Wimbledon White.
Wrinkle in the metal? idk...

The paint only requires a small area that is easily blended. An experienced painter can blend like an artist. Its the clear coat that cannot be blended and they would have to shoot the whole panel, as well as the next entire panel if they had to blend paint into it.

My Bullitt was keyed/jabbed and they pulled these dings out without a trace, blended paint perfectly into adjoining panels (a much more difficult color than WW), shot the entire (3) panels with clear coat. A very reputable shop that had/has great customer reports (I worked in their office for several years doing their books so I heard the customer praise).
Yet I caught a 'run' in the paint on mine. So you have to check everyone!
However, it was not a run in the paint, but a 'sag' in the clear coat, which they buffed out. In the end it really is finished perfect without a trace.

Perhaps the Ford body shop manager is not the one to be talking to about doing a professional repair that doesn't leave a trace...

Last edited by cdynaco; 1/1/15 at 12:36 AM.
Old 1/1/15, 06:39 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by MyStang2010GB
I un-wrap my LE next week. I'll be looking it over real good before I sign any papers!

One of the common areas of concern when unwrapping an LE Mustang that still has the 50th Anniversary transport cover on the car is the wheel well area.

I found with my car that a fair bit of small gravel had accumulated in front and behind the front wheels and also found this same issue with the rear wheel area.

I have spoken to other LE owners who unwrapped their own car and they found the same issue.

Obviously the storage/holding area prior to rail transport from Flat Rock to wherever and then the drayage area whereby these same cars are transferred from rail to truck for final leg delivery are gravel yards therefore this accumulation of small gravel sitting in the wheel well area and with the possibility of some getting under the car cover.

I flushed out these areas real well and was surprised to see how much gravel came out and am happy to say that my car did not incur any scratches from gravel being trapped underneath the car cover.

Just something to keep in mind when receiving your car.

Good luck and enjoy your great new car.
Old 1/1/15, 10:26 AM
Bullitt Member

Ford isn't going to take back your car if that is what you are looking for. You have to go through the motions of taking the car in for repair and giving Ford a chance to fix their mistakes.

I'll just throw this out there because I have heard of this happening before. It's a possibility that your car could have been damaged during transportation and fixed before you took delivery. It could have been backed into, damaged while loading/unloading, collision in dealer lot, etc. In the instances I have heard the damage isn't reported to carfax or anything. Just keep it in the back of your mind. Good luck.
Old 1/1/15, 10:44 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by dave07
I'll just throw this out there because I have heard of this happening before. It's a possibility that your car could have been damaged during transportation and fixed before you took delivery. It could have been backed into, damaged while loading/unloading, collision in dealer lot, etc. In the instances I have heard the damage isn't reported to carfax or anything. Just keep it in the back of your mind. Good luck.

Old 1/1/15, 11:24 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 788 Likes on 574 Posts
Thanks for the advice guys, the dealer suggested a ding repair guy which sounded a little crazy at first but I am thinking that may be the way to go. I think whatever works and reduces the repainting of the car is by far my best option. I am now working with someone at Ford (Autumn) I guess she is a regional manager in customer care. I had to really bite my tongue when she compared my LE to a brand new Fusion she purchased; where something had to be fixed and it stressed her. I'm pretty sure she has no idea what a collector car is or what happens when one has to be repainted.
Not to be an _ _ _ but most people that own mustangs are not like the people on this forum. Only a small % of mustangs will be collector cars. The other 99.9% of mustangs will just be cars, no different than the next one.
Old 1/1/15, 12:15 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by dave07
This happened to me on my Chrysler winter car which I bought new off the lot, 12 miles on it. The carfax was clean, and I can't see where it was repaired.
But when I logged on the Chrysler owners site, it had "sheet metal work, shop supplies" listed. Done at the dealer a few months before I bought it at 6 miles, not disclosed to me.
Old 1/1/15, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by cdynaco
True... we want to think they actually have an inspection. Especially a SE/LE.

Wrinkle in the metal? idk...

The paint only requires a small area that is easily blended. An experienced painter can blend like an artist. Its the clear coat that cannot be blended and they would have to shoot the whole panel, as well as the next entire panel if they had to blend paint into it.

My Bullitt was keyed/jabbed and they pulled these dings out without a trace, blended paint perfectly into adjoining panels (a much more difficult color than WW), shot the entire (3) panels with clear coat. A very reputable shop that had/has great customer reports (I worked in their office for several years doing their books so I heard the customer praise).
Yet I caught a 'run' in the paint on mine. So you have to check everyone!
However, it was not a run in the paint, but a 'sag' in the clear coat, which they buffed out. In the end it really is finished perfect without a trace.

Perhaps the Ford body shop manager is not the one to be talking to about doing a professional repair that doesn't leave a trace...
Perhaps the Ford body shop manager in question, is in the wrong profession
Old 1/1/15, 04:48 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by LQQK

These pics are sacreligious! Seriously, this hauler driver NEEDS to be limited to delivering focus' and other such crap.
Old 1/1/15, 04:56 PM

He or she really needs to be fired for being such an incompetent bonehead

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 1/2/15 at 09:43 PM.
Old 1/2/15, 09:14 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by PP0001
One of the common areas of concern when unwrapping an LE Mustang that still has the 50th Anniversary transport cover on the car is the wheel well area.

I found with my car that a fair bit of small gravel had accumulated in front and behind the front wheels and also found this same issue with the rear wheel area.

I have spoken to other LE owners who unwrapped their own car and they found the same issue.

Obviously the storage/holding area prior to rail transport from Flat Rock to wherever and then the drayage area whereby these same cars are transferred from rail to truck for final leg delivery are gravel yards therefore this accumulation of small gravel sitting in the wheel well area and with the possibility of some getting under the car cover.

I flushed out these areas real well and was surprised to see how much gravel came out and am happy to say that my car did not incur any scratches from gravel being trapped underneath the car cover.

Just something to keep in mind when receiving your car.

Good luck and enjoy your great new car.
I unwrapped it today and sure enough it had small gravel behind each wheel under the cover.
Old 1/3/15, 05:31 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by MyStang2010GB
I unwrapped it today and sure enough it had small gravel behind each wheel under the cover.
Let us know how it looks as you wash and detail your car?

Hopefully the loose gravel did not create any marks or scratches on the paint/clearcoat finish?

Also, once you take your Mustang GT for your first spin I am sure you will be quite impressed with the car.

Good Luck!

Quick Reply: My Limited Edition body panels don't fit well.